An Evil party... Troublesome?

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
The first Third Edition game I played, a Planescape campaign, included a slight majority of evil characters.

The simple solution is twofold.

First, remember that "evil" doesn't have to mean "stupidly shortsighted". You might be playing an amoral wizard who is willing to step on anyone who gets in the way of her controlling the Mages' Guild, but if there was ever a set of candidates for "careful cultivation" instead of "ruthless exploitation", it's your fellow PCs. Nine times out of ten it is genuinely in your best interests to work with each other to achieve your goals - any betrayal has to be committed in order to gain something that's genuinely worth losing a known quantity as your ally.

None of this is an issue of "law" versus "chaos", either. On the scale of an adventuring party and their associates, even the most chaotic characters can work together in (relative) harmony. The real problems you might encounter would be when the long-term goals each character is shooting for conflict: if one PC wants to establish iron-fisted rule over a small barony and another wants to tear the same barony's major city apart with factionalism by pitting its powerful factions against each other, you have to consider what will happen when these two goals collide. Both can work together for a while - having the city fall apart from internecine strife is probably a good setup for a tyrant to take over by promising to restore order - but eventually these contrasting motivations will come into conflict.

Second, as the DM, structure your adventures to encourage the PCs to cooperate, even if they never become best of friends. Apart from the old standby of "you all work for a larger power which demands that its agents cooperate", it's also not that hard to work things out so that the best ally for a particular job is one of the PCs.

I remember, for instance, that a wizard in the previously-mentioned Planescape game wanted to take over a wizards' society to which he belonged and turn it into a cultlike organisation which he could control and exploit for power and resources. He ended up striking a deal with one of the warriors in the party to organise a group of mercenaries who would help the wizard eliminate his superiors, as well as with another PC who could arrange for assistance from the forces of a certain demon lord of the Abyss.

This latter arrangement had repercussions later in the campaign when the demon lord in question expected the wizard and, by extension, the rest of the party to serve his interests in a looming conflict with the forces of Baator. As it happened, the wizard turned his back on this purported debt - but, unbeknownst to him, the cleric in the party became a devotee of the demon lord and kept tabs on the party's activities on his behalf.

None of these allegiances and betrayals came to a head until the climax of the game, when everyone took sides and tried to screw each other over. Before that point, though there was plenty of conflict between personalities and arguments over the direction we should be taking, there were very few serious problems.

I think the key is to give everyone a reason why they should cooperate. Evil people can have friends or family whom they wouldn't betray, for instance. A common faith or cause can provide cohesion. Making sure that another PC's unique abilities or resources are important to fulfilling another PC's goals is a pretty easy GM "cheat" to keep them working together.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Mallus said:
But don't those inclined to see D&D as Satanic (for instance, knuckle-dragging idiots) have as much of a problem with good wizards as evil cultists? It's the presence of any supernatural content that they object to. Excising 'evil' PC's from the game wouldn't make any difference, would it?

It sure would. Picture yourself with a dad that is one of those knuckle-dragging idiots *who can burn your books if he feels like it*, and your mom, the only possible court of appeal, being on the fence but not knowledgeable about the game. If she hears that you are playing a character that is explicitly 'evil', you are hosed, dude - moms don't want their kids to identify with evil. If she hears that you are playing a 'good' wizard, you can get a lot farther on the "it's not real, I don't believe in spells of course not that would be silly" argument.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
robberbaron said:
My current party is 'evil', though there a couple of CNs.
The problems I have encountered are mostly with party cohesion and introducing new characters. There is a lot more 'me, me, me' play with them being evil and they have a tendency to not work together.
Maybe being evil characters brings out the worst in them.

I would hope that playing evil characters brings out the worst in them... it would be a bit sad if playing good or neutral characters brings out the worst in them!

Personally I much prefer playing basically 'good', basically heroic characters, in a basically good, basically heroic party. At least you are less likely to get issues with other party members going off and doing sneaky things behind the party's back, or hiring assassins to kill party members children, or refusing to work 'with' other party members about planning types of energy damage to be used, stuff like that.

Regards,

Counterspin

First Post
Particle_Man said:
It sure would. Picture yourself with a dad that is one of those knuckle-dragging idiots *who can burn your books if he feels like it*, and your mom, the only possible court of appeal, being on the fence but not knowledgeable about the game. If she hears that you are playing a character that is explicitly 'evil', you are hosed, dude - moms don't want their kids to identify with evil. If she hears that you are playing a 'good' wizard, you can get a lot farther on the "it's not real, I don't believe in spells of course not that would be silly" argument.

I'm sorry, but I'm not likely to change my behavior in order to placate unreasonable people. As for evil campaigns, it's really not that hard, as people have said. Just make sure that everyone knows where the limits are, and make sure you get everyone's input on setting those limits.

Melan

Explorer
Kestrel said:
As far as an evil party's motivations go, just pretend you're playing Shadowrun.
Exactly. Bring to the table the same concepts Shadowrun and other Cyberpunk games use, and evil campaigns can work. They work differently than good campaigns, but they do work. Most of my best campaigns have been with evil, or borderline evil CN characters, while ones where everyone played boy scouts were a bit blah.

There is, of course, a big difference between just evil and psychopathic evil. The second is inherently self-destructive, the first needn't be.

As for public perception, D&D could sure use another round of OH NO SATAN! to boost those sales and grab the interests of teenagers. Alas, it probably will not happen again, the free marketers are frying bigger fish. :\

Remove ads