• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An online POD service for large poster maps?

Ktulu

First Post
They're gorgeous! But probably a bit more effort than I'm prepared to make. I'm hopng for someone where online where I can just upload, pay something by PayPal and have the ifnal product arrive at my home.

Whatever you do find, please let me know. I'm just a spoiled when it comes to using maps and would love a decent option to print large scale.

Also, as an alternative, Paizo does have some pretty decent flip-maps available on their site. They're not unreasonable at $12 a pop, and they are sufficient at providing a few things the WotC ones didn't (like a current keep, rather than the ruins of, or a ship (still gotta buy me the ship).

Ktulu

njorgard

First Post
Cafe Press

Hi Morrus...

There's this place called Cafe Press where I've full color mini maps produced by fans being sold for $17.99.

Here's a link to one of these...

Blizzard base

I seem to recall that you could send them a PDF and they would be able to print one of these on demand. It might be worth it for you to check it out. I really don't know if they ship to UK though...

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Its the Gamer Printshop guy!

Hello Rus! Hey guys, its me, the Gamer Printshop dude!

Yeah, I'm still around and still printing maps for people. The price I quoted Rus, is the same price I charge now (for the time being) which is $2.99 per square foot for color, with optional lamination too.

Shipping to the UK, last time I checked at least with US Postal Service was about $16.00 for shipping, + $3 for the shipping tube, but it takes about 15 days for transport from the US. Overnite by anyone is out of the question - crazy expensive, but if you can wait a couple weeks for delivery USPS is not unreasonable. I have shipped to Europe, Canada, South Africa and Russia, so customers do request overseas shipping.

I still get orders for Burning Sky maps now and again. Now I'm printing for Wolfgang Bauer for his Open Design Project maps, Rite Publishing maps and many individual cartographers and small publishers.

As Treebore mentioned, I do lots of map commissions, even map objects. I'm doing a commission for Profantasy right now, almost 300 map objects for their Modern Symbol Set. I create maps for many small publishers - Dog House Rulez, 12 to Midnight, Dementia 5 and others. I've done work for Mongoose Publishing and many individuals for private games as well.

I am also creating my first mini-adventure arc and setting of a dark feudal Japan like place, intended as Pathfinder Compatible product, but it may be published OGL, first, before the August 2009 official release of PF. Of course, I'm doing all the maps!

Let me print you some maps, Rus - I've got a new higher res printer now, than I used to and faster too!

Best thing to do is send me an email, requesting your map size, quantity and if you need lamination, I reply back a quote plus shipping, you do a Paypal money transfer to same email address. Upload your maps into my FTP site, which I give you access upon payment and you load them up, I print and ship - easy.

GP

PS: the store link is Gamer Printshop but this is for maps that exist in my store, not for custom or new maps, you need to email me for that kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Noumenon

First Post
Would any of these services be good for printing out the character portraits sold by AvatarArt? I think they have an arrangement with a printer but I don't know their pricing.

When these poster things ship in a tube, is it easy to get the curl out of them?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Would any of these services be good for printing out the character portraits sold by AvatarArt? I think they have an arrangement with a printer but I don't know their pricing.

When these poster things ship in a tube, is it easy to get the curl out of them?

I run a digital print shop, though I "specialize" in maps, I can print most anything, portraits or otherwise.

Whenever I get stuff that is rolled up, I tightly reverse roll them and they lose most of their curl. I also roll them with the map side out, so it lays flatter instead of wanting to curl up. They curl down, which is easier to work with.

GP

PS: letter size color prints are $.49 each for portraits

Quickleaf

Legend
I run a digital print shop, though I "specialize" in maps, I can print most anything, portraits or otherwise.

Whenever I get stuff that is rolled up, I tightly reverse roll them and they lose most of their curl. I also roll them with the map side out, so it lays flatter instead of wanting to curl up. They curl down, which is easier to work with.

GP

PS: letter size color prints are $.49 each for portraits

Awesome! I have some maps I've been looking to print, and your print shop sounds like the perfect answer.

What sort of paper do you use? Do they feel like and have the durability of the WOTC shiny maps? (sorry, not sure of the paper weight/type of those)
Are they pre-folded?
Do you do double-sided maps?
And I'm assuming you do edge-to-edge printing, right?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Yes and no

Awesome! I have some maps I've been looking to print, and your print shop sounds like the perfect answer.

What sort of paper do you use? Do they feel like and have the durability of the WOTC shiny maps? (sorry, not sure of the paper weight/type of those)
Are they pre-folded?
Do you do double-sided maps?
And I'm assuming you do edge-to-edge printing, right?

I print with a large format inkjet printer so I print to semi-gloss photo grade paper, not the standard stuff that comes in a box campaign setting.

I can print to single side only, though I have printed two maps, glued them back to back then laminated.

Printing edge to edge means one of two things. Either your file exactly fits my printer at 42" wide by whatever the length. Otherwise, prints have margins that are cut off to become edge-to-edge.

I don't fold maps, nor recommend folding them. I roll them up and ship in a tube. You don't want to fold an inkjet map.

Anything else?

GP

Quickleaf

Legend
Thanks Michael, that's all the questions I've got. :)

EDIT: Er...actually, one more question. Do you know a way to map your own flip-map? I'm thinking either something like Paizo or the laminated road flip maps. I have a bunch of map packs from Paizo (individual 5"x8" cardstock panels) that I'm trying to convert into a flip-map. Thanks!

Last edited:

Remove ads