• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An Open Letter to Dragon and Dungeon Readers

tburdett

Explorer
Keith F Strohm said:
For this reason, after careful thought and some soul searching, we’ve decided to end the long run of Polyhedron Magazine and focus on being the best resource for Dungeon Masters.
All I have to say regarding this change is, YES! On the flip side, Dragon sounds like it will be much less useful to me.

diaglo

Adventurer
billd91 said:
Wil Wheaton is an actor. He played Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: Next Generation. And even though his character was extremely annoying from time to time, his blog has been very popular with the fanboy and gamer crowd.
I think it's good to get a regular column from someone outside the gaming industry. Fresh perspective and all that.

okay. i missed all of the Next whatever. there is only one Star Trek. And Captain James Tiberius Kirk was in charge. :p altho, i liked the pilot with Capt Pike.

i did a search. he was in Stand By Me with River Phoenix, right?

buzz

Adventurer
Mercule said:
I've always been a fan of the multiclass progressions and similar things from Dragon right after 3E was released -- things that showed us how to use what was there even better. I'm hoping that "Class Acts" doesn't just turn into "PrC of the month", though. I'm already choking on prestige classes.
I cannot emphasize enough how much I liked those class progressions and the "Power Plays" from early 3e Dragon. I really don't need more PrC's and feats as much as I do information on *how to use what's in the core rules*. This is why I really love the articles Mike Mearls has been writing of late, and (tangent here) why I ordered a copy of Goodman Games' Power gamer's 3.5 Warrior Strategy Guide immediately after reading the free preview, and why I love the "Rules of the Game" column on the WotC site.

New rules content isn't nearly as useful to me as content that will strengthen my D&D-fu. Show me how to better use what I already own, and I'll be willing to forgive the demise of Polyhedron. :)

Last edited:

Agemegos

Explorer
Henry said:
I await the new changes with bated breath. (Since I'm not a fisherman, I can't wait with "baited breath," so that will have to do. :D)

Did you hear the one about the clever cat that ate some cheese and breathed down a mouse-hole with baited breath?

Sernett

First Post
Press release error

Through some calamitous misfortune, an old version of the letter was put out. The Dragon section was supposed to read as follows:

Starting with Issue #323, Dragon Magazine opens its pages to a new era of utility and excitement. In addition to its usual complement of material that provides D&D players with the tools they need to raise the level of their play experience, the new Dragon provides more information about all aspects of the D&D brand. Whether you knock down dungeon doors in the tabletop RPG, command warbands with the D&D Miniatures game, invade the Underdark online with your closest friends, or enjoy reading about the exploits of your favorite characters, the new Dragon is THE source for information about and content for Dungeons & Dragons. Also, starting with issue #323, the new Dragon presents a bonus quarterly catalog giving you the scoop on upcoming D&D releases from Wizards of the Coast, all gathered in one place.

And lest you think we’re skimping on RPG content, our plans for the new Dragon include having articles that present new spells, feats, magic items, rules advice, player tactics, a single prestige class, a new PC race, and an ecology of a monster in every issue--something for everyone, no matter what character they play! With features like the new Class Acts—which provides content for each of the eleven Player’s Handbook classes—and Coup de Grace—the last word in gaming, this column lets you hear from the people behind every aspect of D&D, from designers and developers to members of the marketing team—Dragon continues its tradition of providing the best D&D RPG content to its readers.

The will be no power creep.

Miniatures and computer games are not taking over the magazine.

In the average issue, just two articles will be devoted to miniatures and computer games. The notes about those topics above are there to show that the new Dragon is a funnel for all people interested in D&D to get into the RPG. In fact, that is one of the main goals we have for the magazine in the marketplace--to throw a wide net and help more people see why the D&D RPG is the greatest hobby out there (and by extension, increase sales of the magazine).

Last edited:

Keith F Strohm

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
Paizo guys - a question. Can you give us an update on the web site? I know you have made some moves into adding more content there (e.g., the Challenge of Champions V handouts). What else is planned? Thanks!

Joshua,

We have a complete website redesign and overhaul in progress. The future Paizo site will be much easier to navigate and have regular content.

Keith Strohm
Vice President
Paizo Publishing, LLC

Keith F Strohm

First Post
The_Gneech said:
Overall, I've been pleased with the results. :)

Meaning what exactly? Just a general "coming attractions" thing, or what?

Sounds cool. :) How about things like magic items, funky new monsters, and the like?

Gneech,

Thanks for your email/post. We've really worked hard to make sure the "new" magazines will hit on all cylinders. Just so you know, the 16-page bonus quarterly catalog will give detailed information on upcoming Wizards of the Coast D&D products. We'll also have a small section in Dragon that will highlight the utility of new and upcoming products specifically for players as well.

Dragon will still have articles on new magic items, funky new items and the like--just like you've come to expect from the magazine. The open letter info was supposed to be illustrative and not exhaustive.

Again, thanks for writing in.

Keith Strohm
Vice President
Paizo Publishing, LLC

Remove ads