• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anarenn solo campaign (Loth keep out)

Nightbreeze

First Post
Ambrus said:
What you describe sounds interesting if you intend it as a means of introducing background and plot, though if it's intended as an artificial means to age a PC dragon then I have to admit it interests me less. Like I mentioned above, I believe there are simpler ways to deal with the draconic aging issue besides resorting to an elaborate magical solution.

Another idea for playing a dragon that occurs to me would be to try a pseudodragon PC. They often associate with, and are sought out by humans. My PC could associate itself with a human cohort/owner of some sort. The dragon could serve as a spy and ally while furthering its own goals. Advancing in class levels would help give the character added abilities.
Well, if you play as an intelligent dragon, you will have visions anyway, sorry.
And even if it first came in mind as a mean to bypass that problem, it connected instantly with some other ideas that has bean floating in my mind for a little bit of time. I think that it would make a great campaign, story-wise. And it would revolve, for a lot of time, on the mystery of intelligent dragons.

As for the pseudodragon, I love them too :D . The problem is, I never though about how do they fit in Anarenn -_-. Nevermind, an idea already formed in my mind, but I'll need to toy with it for a while, so I can't tell you what kind of start would the campaign have. However, pseudodragons have low ecl, so they would allow you to start picking class levels soon.

Nightbreeze

First Post
As for the Fair people: they are not really fair. Not really. Not at all.

But, as you may guess, one the entire Anarenn was Elven land.
One of the most clichè-ed (duh...sp?) thing you have ever seen.
I won't be writing what exactly happened, as it involves the most important info about the history of the world, it (as a combination of different characters, races, organizations and magical effects) is still affecting the world and continue doing it.

But there are three kind of elves.
One is just too much outside the world to be playable. You could encounter them as NPCs in the distant future.

The second kind of elves are a lousy, annoying, scheming bastards who live in one of the farthest places of Anarenn, behind an impenetrable forest. They have a certain view on the history, and they are manupulating several people here and there. A second type elf - related campaign would be evil or neutral at best, with some open doors to became good. Politics/magic/manipulation.

The third type of elves are somewhat like a renegades second type. They have another view on history, and they are regarded as traitors and racial enemies by the second type. The feeling is reciprocal, of course. The are more chaotic, and without a real organization. And they more or less mix up with the human society. A third type elf - related campaign would be good or at best neutral one, with mixed investigation/fight/magic.

Ah, as far as humans know, there are no elves, of course.

Ambrus

Explorer
Nightbreeze said:
There are few exceptions however: somewhere on Anarenn there's a huge forest that is almost exactly the way you described it.
All the better reason for a valiant sapling to defend that one forest all the more diligently. ;)
Nightbreeze said:
As for unusual races risen by the Temple, there's a specific order who has a tradition for having non-standard members. I don't have nothing ready on that, so just give me a list of races and I will address them.
So the Azur temple complex is more eastern in feel. Hm. It might be interesting to try playing a spiritual and contemplative gentle-giant; perhaps an alaghi (a pseudo-yeti from the Forgotten Realms CS) or a minotaur.
Nightbreeze said:
An idea that crossed my mind is that you may try to be a griffon rider: they are used by the empire as scouts and messengers. This campaign would need some twist, because it gets boring after a little bit.
Heh. Since griffon are a playable monster race in SS, perhaps it'd be more fun to play the griffin as the PC and have the rider be a human cohort. :p

*shrug* I can't say that the idea appeals to me more than anything else we've discussed. Sorry. :heh:
Nightbreeze said:
Well, if you play as an intelligent dragon, you will have visions anyway, sorry.
Sounds good. Like I said, I don't mind the rune cave as a story element; I'm just less interested in it as a magical stop-gap measure for a game-mechanic issue.
Nightbreeze said:
As for the pseudodragon, I love them too :D . However, pseudodragons have low ecl, so they would allow you to start picking class levels soon.
Their ECL combined with their hit dice make them equivalent to a 5th level character. The good thing about going with a pseudodragon vs a true dragon PC is that I could start off as an adult rather than a clueless infant. A later choice of class would depend on the particulars of the campaign, but I imagine a pseudodragon would make a good caster of some sort; possibly a sorcerer (good versatility), a dragonfire adept (thematically appropriate) or perhaps a bard (good self-sufficiency) or possibly a warlock or psion. I suppose rogue or scout levels might also be appropriate if I'd prefer to go with a stealthy spy/assassin type.

So, which of the ideas that we've been kicking around appeals to you most?

Nightbreeze

First Post
Ambrus said:
So the Azur temple complex is more eastern in feel.

Not really. It holds no power over the other inhabitants of the Holy Mountains, and it's not really bound to them (at least, no much more that to the church, or other faiths). It just seems to be a temple respected by many, many people. It is hard to describe why and how in a single post, let's just say that even if they are secretive and hardly give any information, they have been solid defenders of humankind as long as the Church. What makes them different is the fact that they treat the church and all of the other faiths the same way, they are neutral. Because of that, people are willing to ignore the fact that they really don't give much information on what they do, how they do and why they do.

As for the Yeti-like creature, it would be probably coming from the barbaric kingdom of the north. Found as a child by the Knights of the Glaciers, during a scouting ride over Tisunark, the Shielding City. Raised by the Church, and now -up to you-

So, which of the ideas that we've been kicking around appeals to you most?

Hrum. Lots of them. Well, let me list all of them:

* Treant, born in the Elestril woods. - limited social interaction with the human civilization, born in times of great peril for his beloved home.
* Druid, defending the Elestril woods/somewhere else - better social interaction with humans, a little bit standard
* Metallic dragon infant, born in a certain cave, with no partents, but guided by his visions and the clues left from whoever build the place where he was born. - social interactions, deep into the greater plots and intrigues since the first steps in his world. Not quite clueless.
* Pseudodragon, raised by a wizard/particular noble - great social interactions, some serious plots since the beggining, (cannot move freely in human society until he gains the magic means to do it)
* Restless spirit (good), bound to complete a mission before passing peacefully to the Inner World. - social interaction, all kind of possible developments here...he can be a fighter, caster or whatever else.
* Restless spirit bullied/forced to make good deeds in order to amend for his acts in life.
* Monk/some other class coming from the Holy Mountains. Multiple possible developments here too.
* Gentle monster, raised by the church, searching for his place on this world.
* A sarcastic gryphon, feared by the imperial scouts, because he makes them cry (especially girls). And a nine-hours long voyage with him is a daunting prospective. What will happen to him? Hilarity ensues.

Ah well, each of theese ideas can be worked out in order to provide a different experience....a dark fantasy theme, a comical experiene, epic adventures, thirst for exploration, delving for knowledge, politics and conquest. Mixind allowed too....hark.

Hard to choose.

I shall admit that the impossible gryphon is funny, but my top spots would go for dragon/pseudodragon. The problem is that all of the others are fine for me too: it all depends what kind of campaign do you want...the only thing I'd like to avoid is choosing something that precludes the possibility to move around freely.

At the end, all of depends what kind of campaign do you want, character sheet aside.

Ambrus

Explorer
Darn; I've been having fun tossing around various cool ideas (your sarcastic griffon bit made me laugh!) Now I suppose I'm actually going to have to think about picking something...

I have to admit, the idea of playing a sentient tree has always appealed to me for some odd reason, though I could never figure out how to fit it into a standard game. I think my interest all stems (heh heh) from a silly episode of the Tick I saw years ago in which a gaggle of animated potted shrubs stole a pickup truck and went joy riding around the City. "Weeeeeeee!!!" I still think the sapling idea could be fun to try as long as he's occasionally got some sylvan allies to speak/trade with. Taking a few levels in druid might also help him be more spiritual and self-sufficient seeing as how he could buff and heal himself while summoning animal allies as needed.

The undead spirit could likewise be fun, though I think I'd need a better rundown of how your cosmology differs from the D&D norm. Skulking around while passing through walls, shifting in and out of the ethereal/spirit plane (if playing a ghost character) and possessing bodies to further personal goals, all while dealing with the regrets and loss of a life now past could make for a dynamic and fresh campaign; one of personal horror. Lots of angst there...

The dragon idea, as I see it, can be played out in one of three ways; with a hatchling metallic dragon (as a versatile, stealthy melee combatant able to easily interact with any humanoid species), as a pseudodragon (a less versatile though stealthy diminutive dragon who'll develop some eldritch punch with the eventual acquisition of class levels) or with a winged dragonwrought kobold (from Races of the Dragon).

The latter could be described/played essentially just like a pseudodragon (they're pretty much the same size and shape) though they're mechanically fairly different. Essentially, we could ignore the kobold association and simply treat the character as an unusual diminutive dragon of obscure origin; just like the pseudodragon. Essentially, one trades the pseudodragon's special abilities for an ECL 0 and the versatility of a class built PC. If taking levels in Dragonfire Adept base class, such a character would be able to adopt human shapes freely beginning as early as level 6.

However we handle the dragon PC's mechanical aspects, I think I'd prefer having the character be a little more independent with some human alliances rather than be an NPC's pet or sidekick. What do you think?

Nightbreeze

First Post
Sadly yes, you have to choose, eventually.

Yeah, I don't really like the PC to be just the follower of some NPC.

I see now what was your intention about the story campaign, and sadly it can't be done. It is true that theres not only the prime material, but the other planes are not what you are used to. There's the astral plane, the etereal and the shadow plane. There is also the plane called Exsinit by the wizards: all the creatures summoned come from there. Due to the fact that no one can phisically get there, and the summoned creatures never speak about their home plane / planes, it is not known if Exsinit is one plane, or a combination of great numbers of planes. The church teaches us that whenever someone dies, he is judged (intersing fact: they never say that it is judged by the High Father. He is viewed not as a creator of everything that exists, but as a defender and guide of all that is good.) and sent to the Inner World ,where it rest for an eternity in a paradise, or in the Outer World, sharing it with the demons. Not a pleasant experience.

You would be sent back, but I'm not really comfortable with an ethereal PC: magic is not really common and you will have a game-breaking advantage in any plot.

So we still have the treant, the hatchling, the pseudodragon and and the dragon-like creature.

I have to say that I'm not feeling really comfortable with the treant, too: I have not great experience with forest games and thus the style of descriptions and the consistence of the setting would be diminished.

So, I'd like you to chose between the dragon, kobold and pseudodragon. (that is the order of my preference, but I would accept any of them :) )

Ambrus

Explorer
Your objections concerning the treant and the ghost are understandable and I don't mind going ahead with a dragon PC. Now how to do it...

The entire point of selecting a metallic dragon is to gain the ability to assume alternate shapes (arguably the most useful ability of a PC dragon). That makes it a straightforward choice between a silver and gold; they're the only two species who gain the alternate form special ability at a low ECLs (ECL 2 and 4 respectively). Between the two, the gold dragon is statistically the more combat effective since it's bigger, stronger and faster than the silver. The ability to breathe fire is also more quintessentially draconic. I've been playing a gold dragon hatcling for over four years now so I'm quite familiar with them, though perhaps a bit hesitant to try playing the same thing again. Being a small-sized silver might be sufficiently different to provide a different playing experience though. Hm...

Choosing a pseudodragon will pretty much rule out the option of ever adopting alternate forms; the soonest it'd be possible would be at ECL 11 (Pseudodragon Dragonfire Adept 6). It'd make structuring adventures in human lands (which seems to be your preference) somewhat more tricky. One option that occurs to me would be to have the pseudodragon have been raised (either openly or secretly) in the Temple of the All Father, its egg having been found and hatched by a lonely cloistered priest. Out of curiosity, does your CS feature any other gods aside from the Divine Trinity? Does the draconic pantheon exist?

The only problem with the dragonwrought kobold is what it trades in exchange for its low ECL; the biggest being easy access to flight. Dragonwrought kobolds can make up for that deficiency by spending many precious feats to gain wings and a limited ability to fly for short periods of time. I can't say that the prospect of playing a dragon who has to struggle to get into the air somewhat less tempting. The extra eldritch versatility of such a character is a tempting alternative to the true dragon's straightforward melee abilities however.

It's a tough choice. Still not quite sure which way to go with it, I just figured I'd let you in on my inner thoughts on the decision. Feel free to offer your opinion and suggestions. :heh:

Nightbreeze

First Post
Ok then, before you go on with your choice, I'll give you a list of my house rules: it may help you in the process.

-At first level you gain a bonus feat. It shall be a feat like Focused Skill (skill), or a negotiator-like feat (+2/+2 to your skills), or a regional feat (I know...it is hard to justify giving one to a dragon).

-All characters gain two additional skill points each level, but they may spend it only ona Profession/Craft. One of them can be spent for a knowledge skill (not both, however)

-Feats are fun. I think that feats are a great way to make a Pc or Npc unique, and there are too few of them. Therefore all characters gain feats at 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and so on level.

There are no Draconic deities. There are greater spirits in this world that have connection to dragons, or were dragons themselves, but they are not object of worship, and they don't make their existence known. If you play a draconic or dragon-related PC, they will soon or later take part of the plot, and it is possible for you to have a connection for them since the very beginning.

As for other deities outside of the triad, generally humans don't need them. The Father covers the traditionals domains of a good - related human deity (and it's clerics can choose from a big list of domains - at least 8-9). The Mother covers the good - chaotic - nature related aspects, while the Son is a kind of strange: everyone who doesn't feel related to the other two gods can worship him. He is a kind of trickster, opportunist, generally good, but with a little bit of end-justifies-means philosophy.

In the borderlands of the Empire the Faith becomes less structured and adherent to the common principles, and it mixes it with some old pagan cults. A priest of an imperial city may not recognize a celebration of the mother held in a remote village on the outskirts of the forests surround the Ishiza plains.

Those of Ishiza generally worship a pantheon of tribal deities (hunters, warriors and mounted raiders, as well as their enemies). They grudgingly admit the worship of the Father in their lands. Some other kingdom have an organized churches (and some of them worship the Father but don't recognize the authority of the imperial church on matters of faith)

Dwarfs have their own deities, of course, as well as other races, of course.

Now, to adress your questions about the loss of flight/alternate form, I have though about the dragon's questions (the decision of taking the intelligent dragons out the of the normal campaign was taken a week after I started building the world, but I have never truly expanded it. So I'm coming up with some new ideas and justifications now).

The untainted blood of intelligent dragons carries many benefits, and places a great burden on your shoulders. One of your benefits is the fact that whatever kind of intelligent dragon has access to alternate forms, either by abilites granted by his progression, or by feats. So, your choice is not limited to gold and silver dragons: I'm pretty much allowing any kind of true dragon that is out there in the manuals. Third party manuals or custom builds are ok, too. The same goes for flying, and the same applies to pseudodragons and kobolds: it is the blood legacy that matters.

So at the end it is your choice. We will gnaw the mechanical aspects afterwards.

Ambrus

Explorer
Wow; your house rules are fairly extensive. I generally prefer playing by the book, but I don't mind tweaking a few things if that's what you prefer. Lots of extra feats and skill points to think about...

So, am I to understand that you intend to create a feat that'll grant any creature of the dragon type the ability to assume alternate forms? That'd certainly influence my intended character build.

As to alternate true dragons; it was my intention to use the dragon monster class progressions provided in Dragon Magazine, starting at ECL 4 as you mentioned in your original post and then progressing level by level normally afterwards. I'm not certain what you have in mind progression-wise if you suggest using other dragon types though. Care to clarify how you intend to handle starting level and progression?

Nightbreeze

First Post
Eh...to say I don't know savage species well enough to make new progressions....I was thinking about the metallic dragons, the crystal ones, and the planar dragons. You can make up the progression. As this is a solo campaign, balance is not the issue, so don't be scared to make a progression that is not perfectly balanced.

As for the feats, yes I thought about a feat that grants (maybe not unlimited) alternate form capability somewhere around ECL 4, and a feat that gives you fly (maybe not unlimited) somewhere around ECL 6. As you become more powerful, these abilities may become at will: we'll decide whether by another feat investment or just by level progression (like, you can fly for you CONx2 minutes each day at level 6, conx3 minutes at level 7, and 24 hours/day at level 14 ... just an example)

As you noticed, I don't care much about the rules. I always try to balance them (well, the fact that a human gets feats at 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 5, 7th, 9th and so on level is not very balancing for the monsters....but they are buffed too, don't pity them :) ), but I have no problem messing with them. I'm also known because for the fact that I allow trades regarding the class: for example I allow fighters to trade heavy armor proficiency for a +4 to ride at first level.

Last edited:

Remove ads