Ancient China / Ancient India - anything?

VirgilCaine

First Post
Psychotic Jim said:
There's an Indian domain in Ravenloft, Sri Raji (in the Verduous Lands cluster). It has a two page or so description in the Ravenloft Player's Handbook, and there's a tiny description of a two-member pantheon for said domain. The 2E module Web of Illusion features Sri Raji in more detail.

Sweet! A friend is loaning me the Ravenloft PHB soon (so I can look it over for running an upcoming adventure). I much prefer India flavor to Chinese. Everyone has seen China and Japan.

Cherub

First Post
VirgilCaine said:
Sweet! A friend is loaning me the Ravenloft PHB soon (so I can look it over for running an upcoming adventure). I much prefer India flavor to Chinese. Everyone has seen China and Japan.

DITTO!!

No one AFAIK has given a fair go at crafting the rich and intriguing setting of ancient india into a D20 Campaign Setting. I think we have enuff to go on as far as oriental settings are concerned, but little or nothing specifically dedicated to the rich and ancient cultures of the sub-continent - which have hooks and inspiration for a fantasy campaign plastered all over them. This is a glaringly obvious gap...it baffles me why WOTC or any other 3rd party Publisher hasnt cashed in on it - since there is obviously interest in the market place for it. I have seen a request for an Ancient India based setting come up on these boards, as recent as a couple of weeks ago on the Thread regarding 'Books that we would like WOTC to publish' (paraphrased) fairly regularly enuff to wonder if WOTC or the 3rd party publishers are actually paying attention to the feedback from those on whom they rely on to sustain their precious bottom-line... :\

I seem to recall the folks at Expedtitious Retreat were discussing wanting to do a book on India it a while back, after they'd returned. Don't know if anything ever came of it or not.

VirgilCaine

First Post
Cherub said:
I think we have enuff to go on as far as oriental settings are concerned, but little or nothing specifically dedicated to the rich and ancient cultures of the sub-continent - which have hooks and inspiration for a fantasy campaign plastered all over them.

I guess all we'll get is the MM "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" Rakshasha.

Psychotic Jim

First Post
VirgilCaine said:
FYI, the Denizens of Darkness 3E Ravenloft book has stats for a number of magical figurines that were originally made in Sri Raji (basically act like smaller golem variants), but not the information on how to make them. For that, you would probably have to look at the old 2E Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium III, IIRC. Also, in the Fiend Folio, there is the Bhut, which the book says can be used in an Indian flavor OA campaign.

One thing game reference I forgot to mention was Palladium's Mystic China book. Although it was made for the Ninjas and Superspies RPG and takes place in modern times, Mystic China has a lot of information on Chinese culture and mythology that might be of use, like guidelines for true and false immortals, discussion of a Taoist game alignment, various monsters, etc.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
You get right down to it, India and China cover a lot of territory. Which era are you looking for? Which region? In China the Three Kingdoms period is very different than the Ming Dynasty period. In India the states of the Gangeatic Plain in the 14thCE are not the Tamil states of the same time in southern India.

I googled "china" on the Google Directory RPG page. The search gave me this page

A google for "india" on the same page lead me here.

I hope this helps.

Crothian

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I seem to recall the folks at Expedtitious Retreat were discussing wanting to do a book on India it a while back, after they'd returned. Don't know if anything ever came of it or not.

Its on hold. I imagine they will do it but they are a small company and have other things that can interfere with the schedule of writing.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I am really surprised no one has made a decent ancient/medieval China supplement for d20.

I just got "The Legend of Zu" from Netflix the other day, sort of a Chinese fantasy movie, and while I had no idea what the heck was going on, it was very impressive visually. People flying around, floating islands, evil caves, etc.

Remove ads