And the Uppity Shoeshine... (DM:twilsemail; Judge: renau1g)

After seeing Fredrock's dialogue with Castor, he doubts his ability to bluff his way past the proprietor.

Instead, he uses the encounter to gauge the reactions of others in the Tavern, hoping to gather information from one of the many regulars at the bar.

OOC: Nat 20 on Insight! Eithal, you can take the reroll or just wait.

Luinnar

First Post
Finding no useful info, Kaz sneaks out of the manor and tries to find the rest of the party. Soon he hears a voice of someone in the group.

Eithal waves the shoe in the direction of the fleeing child, "Gal! Yew lost yowah..." she trails off as she realizes that the girl is nowhere in sight, "Ah declayah! Thaya poah gal's gonna stayep own somthin'" She stares at the abandoned shoe and wonders if it has anything to do with their situation, "Kinah remahnds me ova storih, but it whas a glayass slippah, iffin' Ah remayembah c'rrectlih."
Eithal-san. Kaz says, silently sneaking up to Eithal. I believe the rest of the group is this way. he says, pointing to the direction of the inn. Come, let us join them. he says with a smile.

OOC: Perception = 22 with surge spent beforehand.

Last edited:

Dekana

Explorer
Toeto thanks the gull for the story and apologizes that she does not have any fish for it.

After she meets up with the others, Toeto takes Yishim's lead and passively gauges the reactions of the taverngoers.

twilsemail

First Post
GM: Noted. I've got most of the update sorted out. Just waiting on [MENTION=84369]Xeterog[/MENTION]. If there hasn't been a post by this afternoon (EST), I'll put an action in for him and finish up.

Xeterog

Explorer
Despite not finding much information out at all, not even being able to deduce what might not have been said, Fredrock is undeterred, tho it has been frustrating. He looks around Castor's place for any indication that the boy was here.

OOC: with -4 to any roll I make (-2 for last round, -2 group), I'm not going to be successful at much--just can't think of a way to get my endurance in on this part of the quest :) So, I'll use my 2nd Healing surge to give me a +3 and use perception 19.

I think I will use an action point to use endurance to keep looking despite all the setbacks

twilsemail

First Post
Observing Fredrock's questioning of Castor, Scarmiglione decides against taking a similar approach: the man appears to be a very tough nut. Instead, he takes advantage of the distraction to sneak into a back room. After all, why question a fellow when one can simply rifle through his desk?

And there is payoff! Scarmiglione finds a log of transactions. The only one currently open is a “MR” working for a “MF” the location listed for the task is an intersection in Daunton. There are notes but he’s unable to decipher the handwriting. Many of the other entries do not have completion dates. Curiously, almost all of the entries list a “finder’s fee” paid up front to Castor. As he’s about to sneak back out of the office, he notes a small piece of paper with an absolutely lovely sketch of the nights sky fading into the cerulean blue of daylight. Sun and moon chase each other in a design often seen in the Jade Kingdom. Elven script runs along the edge of the paper.

Eithal spends a few moments contemplating the greater meaning of a shoe when she notes a young woman wearing the loose fitting clothes and well kept boots of a messenger slip out the back of Castor’s and run uphill towards one of the nicer parts of town.

Yishim, overseeing the operation inside the bar, sees the bartender shake his head disapprovingly at Castor. When yishim approaches, the bartender vents surprisingly easily about the whole thing. “Young men an’ women, what fancy ‘emselves ‘adventurers’ come in ‘ere lookin’ fer work. Up the ‘ill, at the ‘Anged Man ‘ey’ve got some steep competition and some of ‘ese kids aint got no real talent. So a mage what needs ‘gredients or some t’ief needs some casin’ done comes in ‘ere an’ ‘ires a kid. Cheaper’n you lot. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it don’t. ‘Ese days, usually it don’t. Your boy? Check the sewers.”

Eithal, still a bit shocked by the shoe incident and the second running woman in a scant few moments, is shepherded into the bar by Kaz. Kaz can feel violence in the air like someone standing in a field before a lightning strike can feel static. Unless someone finds a way to disarm the tension, a fight is imminent.

Fortunately, Toeto spots the most irritated of the men in the bar and in her attempts to sort out what to do with him she is handed a drink by the bartender Yishim was talking to. His mood is drastically changed and he starts talking down a few of his companions.

Castor sniffs in distaste at the incoming crowd. He leaves the table and his conversation partner and heads to his office. Were Scarmiglione not the master of stealth that he is, he might have been caught. His kenku-senses tingle at just the right moment and he slips out the door unseen at the last moment.

Fredrock, determined to spot something in the area perseveres and through his enduring diligence he finds a few snippets of information. As the guards depart, he hears one whisper about, “notifyin’ the maga.” He checks the table before rejoining the group and finds a scrap of paper. It appears that a note was scratched onto another piece on top of this one. Fredrock can still see the scratches from that note.

“F-

Adventurers asking after your sewer urchin.
How valuable is silence?

C”

[sblock=tl;dr]Mikhael is working for someone with the initials “MF.” His job was something in the sewers, accessed at an intersection that the party now knows. What his task was, the party is unaware. Who MF is, the party is unaware.[/sblock]

[sblock=Results]
Round 3 results
Scarm: Stealth 28; 3 points; Reroll granted to an ally
Eithal: Perception 24; 2 points

Yishim: Insight *Explosion*; 4 points and gains an AP
Kaz: Perception 22; 2 Points
Toeto: Insight 17; 1 Point

Fredrock: Perception 19; 1 Point
Fredrock: AP – Endurance 18; 1 Point

Round 3 Total
14 points; 2 Victory points

Final Total
4 Points; Complication

Notes:
Scarmiglione found a Cosmic Cycle Tattoo along with the information in the office.
Yishim is gaining either an AP or a consumable item. I’m waiting on word from ronakshah.

[sblock=Finding Mikhael]
I am using the skill challenge system presented by Iron Sky in this post.

Rounds: 3

Individual’s Skill Rolls

15-: 0 points, -2 on next round's skill check
16-20: 1 point, -1 on next round's skill check
21-25: 2 points, +1 on next round's skill check
26+: 3 points, +2 on next round's skill check
Natural 1: -1 point, lose a healing surge
Natural 20: +1 point, gain a healing surge/AP/treasure parcel as appropriate

Round Totals
0-5 points: 0 Victory Points and Disaster: -2 cumulative penalty to all future skill checks
6-11 points: 1 Victory Points and Complication: -1 cumulative penalty to all future skill checks
12-17 points: 2 Victory Points and Advantage: +1 cumulative bonus to all future skill checks
18+ points: 3 Victory Points and Miracle: +2 cumulative bonus to all future skill checks

Final Victory Points
0-2 total points: Disaster, appropriate consequences
3-5 total points: Complication, appropriate result and consequence
6-8 total points: Advantage, appropriate result and benefit
9+ total points: Miracle, appropriate benefits

[/sblock][/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
Scarmiglione, somewhat surprised to find such a tasteful piece of art in a dive like this, bends very close to examine it, and almost squawks in surprise as the design starts to squirm and crawl before leaping onto his beak and rearranging itself to best effect.

Scarmiglione exits as quickly as possible, catching the eyes of his companions. "Well nobody tol' me oi'd 'ave ta paiy up fron' for a job," he complains. "Oi caime 'ere ta maike some money, no' ta spend i'. Dere's no easy braiks for an 'ar' workin' bird in dis 'ere ci'y, an' das da truf. Oi guess i's back to da drawring board, innit." Sidling up to Kaz, he whispers, "Oi fink oi know where 'e wen'," forgetting to drop the accent.

Luinnar

First Post
Oro? Kaz says to Scarmiglione, not quite understanding what he said. Oh, I understand. he says, finally making it out. Come, show me where it is and we can report back to the rest. he says, sneaking away unnoticed.

OOC: stealth = 26

Remove ads