• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Animate Object Spell, anyone seen it used well

Shard O'Glase

First Post
which golems will either this or celestial bears beat. The DR on most golems is obscene and these thigns aren't magic weapons. I suppose if you cast magic fang or something you can beat a golem with a dire tiger or something.

Under 3.5 who the heck knows, golems will have more HP, less DR, and this spell might be better or worse, and hopefully on the wizards list as it should be.

Iron_Chef

First Post
Savage Species has a spell called Minor Servitor (p.68), which allows creation of moderately intelligent (friendly to the creator), permanent animated objects for an XP cost of 250 per cubic foot (an object up to 1 cubic foot/level may be animated); it's a 5th level Sor/Wiz spell. The contruct gets Int 3d6 and Cha 1d3. They behave as they wish and can reason and think on their own (within their Int score), but will obey their creator if specifically told to undertake actions. The spell takes 1 day to cast.

The Creature Collection II has a tiny construct called a "Totem of Mormo" that can store a single 3rd level spell in itself and cast it once. I would allow Minor Servitor to create Totems of Mormo.

Anyway, Minor Servitor allows you to create all the cute little animated objects in Disney's Beauty & The Beast, LOL, or maybe even the robots in A.I. if you're high enough level. You could make a fortune selling/renting out "Gentleman Jim" constructs to jaded aristrocrats!

You can use them as guards, spies or servants/slaves, or sell/gift them. A fun spell, much better than Animate Objects but it can't be used in combat with the 1 day casting time, and the XP cost limits the number of constructs you can make.

Golems are too expensive, IMO, or maybe my DM is just to stingy with the gold...

Last edited:

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I think I'll take a close look at what 3.5 does to the spell and also have a look the the Savage Species spell in the meantime.

One that needs looking at I think.

alsih2o

First Post
the baddie in a recent campaign stop had an animated rug that moved you around his library to whatever book you wanted, and 2 chandeliers that protected his bedroom.

after years in the room together the chandeliers and the rug had learned to hate one another, the p.c.'s successfully played them against one another :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads