D&D (2024) Animate Objects

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Thinking about this, it would be interesting if Animate Objects, and other conjuration spells, could be cast as an Action or a Ritual. The single action would cause an immediate effect or create a zone in combat, and the ritual would be more utility based.

So maybe Animate Objects would create a Zone that could crush, entangle, or damage enemies. As a Utility Ritual, it could be used to create scenes from Beauty and the Beast.

Shiroiken

Legend
Same problem with the 2014 Conjure spells, you need to track a lot of extra creatures.

It bogs the game down.
I guess it depends on how the player runs it. The only player I've seen use it referred to the spell as Quissenart (sp), as she had a bandoleer of daggers she cast it on. Ten tiny daggers don't take up much space, since 8 can fit in just 1 square, or you can create a plane of them 5ft above the ground. She'd always have them attack the same target (usually the BBEG she saved the spell for) until it dies, rolling all the attacks simultaneously. It was extremely effective, since I had to either break her concentration or hit the objects with an AoE before she obliterated the BBEG. I think making the spell into something like Flaming Sphere or Spiritual Hammer, where the objects all attack one creature, would be the easiest way to handle it.

Yaarel

He Mage
I guess it depends on how the player runs it. The only player I've seen use it referred to the spell as Quissenart (sp), as she had a bandoleer of daggers she cast it on. Ten tiny daggers don't take up much space, since 8 can fit in just 1 square, or you can create a plane of them 5ft above the ground. She'd always have them attack the same target (usually the BBEG she saved the spell for) until it dies, rolling all the attacks simultaneously. It was extremely effective, since I had to either break her concentration or hit the objects with an AoE before she obliterated the BBEG. I think making the spell into something like Flaming Sphere or Spiritual Hammer, where the objects all attack one creature, would be the easiest way to handle it.
Decent (and mechanically simple) combat attacks maybe with entangling − plus useful utility, such as getting a boulder to move out of the way, or a door open, or bricks remove themselves from a wall, or a statue repositioning itself, or so on.

mellored

Legend
Ten tiny daggers don't take up much space, since 8 can fit in just 1 square, or you can create a plane of them 5ft above the ground. She'd always have them attack the same target (usually the BBEG she saved the spell for) until it dies, rolling all the attacks simultaneously.
where the objects all attack one creature
Moveable cloud of daggers?

It was extremely effective, since I had to either break her concentration or hit the objects with an AoE before she obliterated the BBEG.
The numbers are definitely high. But that part could just be tweaked.

Horwath

Legend
Same problem with the 2014 Conjure spells, you need to track a lot of extra creatures.

It bogs the game down.
not to mention 10 d20 rolls extra for attacks every round.
it also adds about 36 damage per round, so consider that if it's balanced with using concetration.

Yaarel

He Mage
The most important part the Animate Objects flavor, is the objects are already there, around the caster − and now they are starting to move around. This has many narrative implications, and useful applications.

When I think of the Animate spell, I think of the show Merlin making a pair of boots "walk" to a particular location. I also think of a certain medieval musician who played such danceable music, that a boulder that was in the way of the path started swaying back-and-forth and eventually danced out of the way. Statues come to life.

Remove ads