Anime Music

Sixchan

First Post
It's come time for me to make a second Minidisc, and I need ideas. So I thought I'd just steal them off you lot.;)

What anime shows do you feel have the best music?

(Hong might be able to answer this best) Aside from Slayers, what other animes feature Megumi Hayashibara's singing?

Last edited:

Chun-tzu

First Post
Instrumental

All of the Samurai X OVA soundtrack, especially:
Wars of the Last Wolves
Sound of Snow Falling

Rurouni Kenshin:
Kimi wa dare wo mamotte iru

The battle music from Big O:
Sure Promise
Stand a Chance

Lots of good stuff on Evangelion soundtracks (there's definitely been enough of them), including:
Heady Feeling of Freedom
Childhood Memories, Shut Away
Thanatos

Princess Mononoke:
Legend of Ashitaka theme

Songs

Macross Plus:
Voices (English is good, Japanese is better)

End of Evangelion:
Komm susser tod ("come, sweet death")

Gundam Wing:
Flying Away

Outlaw Star:
Melfina's Song

Sailor Moon:
My Only Love

Sixchan

First Post
Chun-tzu said:
Instrumental

All of the Samurai X OVA soundtrack, especially:
Wars of the Last Wolves
Sound of Snow Falling

Rurouni Kenshin:
Kimi wa dare wo mamotte iru

The battle music from Big O:
Sure Promise
Stand a Chance

Lots of good stuff on Evangelion soundtracks (there's definitely been enough of them), including:
Heady Feeling of Freedom
Childhood Memories, Shut Away
Thanatos

Princess Mononoke:
Legend of Ashitaka theme

Songs

Macross Plus:
Voices (English is good, Japanese is better)

End of Evangelion:
Komm susser tod ("come, sweet death")

Gundam Wing:
Flying Away

Outlaw Star:
Melfina's Song

Sailor Moon:
My Only Love

*Scribbles notes*

I laready have a few Outlaw Star sonds but not Melfina's. I'll have to get that.

I've also been looking for stuff by Boa (they did the Lain opening), but it's difficult since it seems they only got released in Japan and the US (though without any US publicity), so I can't get them legit unless I pay £30, and can't get them through less honourable means either because they're too obscure.:(

Chun-tzu

First Post
BTW, minidisks are awesome. By far the best choice for portable music (the media for portable mp3 players are just way too expensive). It's a shame they're not bigger over here in the US.

Yeah, the theme for Lain is pretty good, too. I'm not familiar with anything else Boa's done. But file sharing is almost a necessity when it comes to sampling anime music. Anime soundtracks are extremely rare, and extremely expensive, due to import costs. Half the time the titles are in kanji, and you have no idea what you're going to get until you actually play it. For all the so-called evils of file sharing, it's great for finding stuff that's virtually impossible to get otherwise.

Sixchan

First Post
I love Minidiscs. The best advantage is probably the ability to walk and even run when listening to them. CDs suck for that.

My current one has the Outlaw Star ending tunes, the NGE opening, lots of Slayers tunes, almost the entire Nadesico soundtrack, and the Bondage song from Tenchi Muyo. WHile it's a damn good disc, I'm going to need more than one to sustain me when I'm away from the Computer.

Oh, and there's a couple of free songs on www.boaweb.co.uk

Kesh

First Post
Cowboy Bebop is a no-brainer. :cool:

Outlaw Star has a few good bits, including "Melfina's Song."

The first disc of the X soundtrack (aka X/1999) comes out September 2nd. Some of the tracks from that series are unbelievably good.

Of course, there's always Akira. :D

Anavel Gato

First Post
I agree with all of what people have said so far. To this I may add Berserk OST. There are a few good vocal (chanting and singing) on here as well as instrumental. I liked Gundam Wing's Endless Waltz soundtrack as well. Gundam 0083--it was the opening actaully i think it had two different openings both were good. Rahxephon a song called Hemisphere. Simple and Clean was a song in Kingdom Hearts video, it was good. Don't really know what your looking for so some of these suggestions are all over the place.

Jin-Roh is pretty good instrumental.

Enchantress2

First Post
Here's my contributions:

Gundam Wing/Endless Waltz

Cowboy Bebop

Outlaw star

Akira

Escaflowne (series and movie)

Sorry I can't give specific song names.

Pfft! Get some classic stuff! Hunt down "Do You Remember Love?" from the Macross movie of the same name...oh, and get the old Mobile Suit Gundam opening. The original. "Tobe Gundam" if I remember right. Greatest.Song.Ever....and very '70s too :D

s/LaSH

First Post
Sixchan said:

Aside from Slayers, what other animes feature Megumi Hayashibara's singing?

Saber Marionette J, Saber Marionette J Again, Saber Marionette J To X. Megumi Hayashibara voice acts one of the main characters (Lime, who is a super android of some description and darn cute) and does theme songs. Well worth watching as well as getting music from.

I have no idea where to find soundtracks outside Japan, though (although there are plenty of 'em, featuring lots of artists).

And no further knowledge of such things, sadly...

Remove ads