Anime on Netflix

Davies

Legend
I will now destroy, with my own hands, whatever reputation for wisdom and prudence I have heretofore established.

Girls und Panzer is awesome. Ignore the absurdities or enjoy them, this is a beautiful meditation on leadership, friendship, and fair play.

briggart

Adventurer
This is coming out
I was really looking forward to this, but I don't particularly like the animation style. I was hoping something more along the lines of Ultramen or Ghost in the Shell Sustainable War (or whatever the actual title is). I'll definitely watch it, but it went from "binge immediately" to "as soon as I can find the time".

MarkB

Legend
I will now destroy, with my own hands, whatever reputation for wisdom and prudence I have heretofore established.

Girls und Panzer is awesome. Ignore the absurdities or enjoy them, this is a beautiful meditation on leadership, friendship, and fair play.
Such a crazy premise, and yet such an incredible series (and movie).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Record of Ragnarok is one of those shows which knows exactly what it wants to be, and doesn't bother with anything outside of its core premise (which is one-on-one high-octane death battles). How much you like it will depend entirely on how much that idea appeals to you.

That said, if you do care for that premise, it's the sort of series which gets better the more time you invest in it. The first fight didn't grab me very much, but the second was a lot more interesting, and the third was extremely well done.

MarkB

Legend
I was really looking forward to this, but I don't particularly like the animation style. I was hoping something more along the lines of Ultramen or Ghost in the Shell Sustainable War (or whatever the actual title is). I'll definitely watch it, but it went from "binge immediately" to "as soon as I can find the time".
It can certainly make a difference, but some of the best animated shows on Netflix have used animation styles that wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice to watch. She-Ra and Final Space to name two.

briggart

Adventurer
It can certainly make a difference, but some of the best animated shows on Netflix have used animation styles that wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice to watch. She-Ra and Final Space to name two.
Thanks for pointing these out. I watched the first episode of Final Space and it seems intriguing. I've added it to the list.

Richards

Legend
I'm not big into anime, but my son is and he told me there was an anime series on Netflix based on Ultraman, which I watched all the time as a kid. So tonight we gave it a shot and...holy cow! This was obviously made by true fans of the original show! Everything starts out just like the original live-action series (Ultraman is depicted just like in the show, the Science Patrol uniforms, VTOL Jet, and Science Patrol Headquarter are all spot on, and the original human host body for Ultraman, Shin Hayata, and the scientist/inventor from the original series, Ide ("Ito" in the US dubbed version of the show) are both there as well.) Then we jump forward in time 20 years and see Hayata's son Shinjiro, who inherited some of the alien DNA Hayata gained by being Ultraman's host body, so he's already got some superhero-style powers of his own...but then he ends up in an Iron Man-type of powered armor designed by Ide to reverse engineer some of Ultraman's powers. It looks like this is going to be more of a series based on "Japanese Iron Man" instead of "giant hero fights giant monsters," but that's okay by me. They got off on the right foot by being so faithful to the original show; I'm in it for the duration. And me not even an anime fan.

Johnathan

Remove ads