Announcing the 2012 Gen Con EN World RPG Awards Nominees!

Are you aware of many free products from this year that were submitted for consideration? They cannot nominate a product that doesn't exist, or that wasn't submitted.
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->@Umbran <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->

Check his sig. He has a free product...and on his blog he posts about his sour grapes (using those words, no less). I suppose throwing a fit about it is a good way to increase his downloads...it worked on me I'm ashamed to say.

Matchstick

Adventurer
I never thought of Words of the Wise in that way. A promo would have rules in it to allow for people to play it IMO, and Words of the Wise is simply an adventure, no rules previews or combat rules or anything.

I'm a little surprised to see Savage Worlds in there, considering it's mostly just a re-issue with a few new rules.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Congratulations to all of the nominees! Paizo Publishing is honored to be listed among such fine products.

Now I'm off to go build my shopping list!

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing

Steel_Wind

Legend
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->@Umbran <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->

Check his sig. He has a free product...and on his blog he posts about his sour grapes (using those words, no less). I suppose throwing a fit about it is a good way to increase his downloads...it worked on me I'm ashamed to say.

While I have not hit his links, looked at his blog, nor do I profess to know a single damn thing about any of his products (submitted or otherwise), I would observe generally that people are allowed to be disappointed and express their displeasure.

Yes, even if they do it in a way that some may find offensive or churlish. Yes, even if it upsets some Ennie judges, too.

Nobody is beyond reproach - not even the volunteer Ennie Judges. Those who submit products must have a thick skin. Those who judge those products must develop one as well.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
I'm thrilled to see Heroes of the Feywild and the Monster Medallions among the nominees!

Congrats to my fellow nominees, and thanks to the judges for their hard work!

Monkey King

Explorer
Congratulations to all the nominees! It is indeed a great time to be a gamer.

Open Design is honored and delighted to have 4 nominees this year, including our first in the Adventure category.

I'm sorry that your book was not nominated, but I'd urge you to take a moment to relax and think before you post.

The "sour grapes" attitude comes across as unprofessional and probably does not do much to ingratiate yourself to the judges (some of whom may be judging your products again next year).

Yep, and that's an important lesson in 'don't post angry', for which I apologize.

Interesting points, and I agree with some of em. I don't think quickstart rules or conversion guides belong as a "best free product". In a sense, I don't really think of them as "products" in their own right.

However, I don't think you're being fair to Black Crusade: Broken Chains, The One Ring: Words of the Wise, or We Be Goblins.

I didn't want to make my post about my game (which is why I didn't mention it), because that isn't my actual point. What I wanted to draw attention to the fact that all of the nominally 'Free Products' are ads for paid products (in the case of Dragon Age) or require you to buy the same company's paid product to work.

Are you aware of many free products from this year that were submitted for consideration? They cannot nominate a product that doesn't exist, or that wasn't submitted.

I have to assume that there are other free products that were submitted that are actually free and don't require other paid additions.

Remove ads