• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

annual upkeep costs of buildings?

Baramay

First Post
I am trying to find the upkeep costs for buildings; castles, businesses, and private homes. I expect it to be a % of the total value. So far I have found conflicting sources. In the 1st edition DMG it is listed at 1%/month or 12% annually. That seems high. In The Stronghold Builders Guidebook it is 1-2% annnually, which is 3rd edition. I could not find anything in the 3.5 DMG. I am sure it is there-I just missed it. I would like to know what is out there and opinions on what would be a realistic amount.

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
It depends on how you define upkeep.

If it includes all local taxes plus food for all residents, including any servants, as well as any structural repairs maintenance, I’d say that 1% of total building value per month is a bargain.

(you do pay your taxes, don’t you?)

Baramay

First Post
I have taxes at 5%. If anyone disagrees let me know why. Upkeep would just include building repairs. Food and pay to thoses living there are variable costs which I need to include elsewhere.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I figure property taxes alone to be 1%, and 10% per year should include all major issues: Upkeep to the grounds, repairs of most anything but serious disasters, and things like new furniture, wood for heating, etc. I wouldn't include food or any other expenses.

Agemegos

Explorer
Kid Charlemagne said:
I figure property taxes alone to be 1%

Property taxes? It isn't given that there are going to be any. They have been rather uncommon historically.

Realistic maintenance costs will have to depend strongly on the material of construction. Compared with timber, thatch, and wattle-and-daub, stonework is expensive to build and cheap to maintain. It's maintenance as a proportion of cost will therefore be extremely low.

godawful

First Post
like repairs? why not make it depend on structure materials? like thatch roofs needing maintained more often, or stone/wood almost never needing repairs. maybe with each storm, give it a percentage value of damage, like hailstorm subjects all buildings to a 5 percent damage total. that might be simple. standard weather 1 percent annually or something.

Sigurd

First Post
off the cuff

Tax - Your the King - none

You're not the King - 33%

- You have no tithe to diety or church\cult\sect\etc... - 0%
Typical Tythe 10%+

Buildings

Quality Mod +7 to -3%

Stone - 5% total construction cost per year
Wood or Daub 7 - 10% per year.

DC 10 Each year for structural damage that must be repaired or add 1% to cost and 1 to DC. This might be automatic if there was any burning, attack, or serious damage to a major structure.

Every percentage of the of the upkeep unpaid adds to the DC for structural damage.

Holdings in a game should generate money to cover these costs. Characters wanting to cover the whole cost of a large structure out of pocket should find it difficult to say the least.

This means that a very low quality Wooden Fortification could cost 17% of its total construction cost each year to maintain but a high quality stone fortification might cost only 2% of its (much higher) construction cost.

Quality modifiers might be:

positive

Built during peace time.
Quality Materials
Skilled builders

Negative

Built to tight deadline.
Built without regard to seasonal constraints.
Poor materials
inexperienced workers -- Even if your labour force learned on the job its likely that they were the most inexperienced while they were doing your foundations :).
Republican president

my .02

Sigurd

Last edited:

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
Agemegos said:
Property taxes? It isn't given that there are going to be any. They have been rather uncommon historically.

Danegeld

Capitation or head tax (literally, a tax on existence),

Taille (a tax on property)

Heriot (an inheritance tax)

plus banalities

just five medieval taxes

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads