• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

another rescue at rivenroar question

Thordain

First Post
(This question is for DMs.. if you are planning on playing the adventure, don't read this)

In the 2nd encounter with the ogre, the ogre's description says it throws at cask for -1 vs reflex and 2d6 fire damage.
But then on the cask's description, it says that the cask explosion is 3d6 fire damage, dex vs reflex.

The way I'm reading this, it means that a direct hit from the ogre (which is unlikely) will result in 2d6 damage. Then anyone caught in the burst explosion takes 3d6 on a dex vs reflex attack. But whose dex vs reflex ?? The ogre's? Does that mean +4 vs reflex? -1?

Thanks

Parlan

First Post
IIRC, it's talking about two different situations:

1. Ogre throws cask = 2d6
2. Someone (maybe a PC) causes the casks remaining in the cart to explode = 3d6

Not sure whose Dex you use in the latter case. I guess the creature who caused the explosion?

Starbuck_II

First Post
(This question is for DMs.. if you are planning on playing the adventure, don't read this)

In the 2nd encounter with the ogre, the ogre's description says it throws at cask for -1 vs reflex and 2d6 fire damage.
But then on the cask's description, it says that the cask explosion is 3d6 fire damage, dex vs reflex.

The way I'm reading this, it means that a direct hit from the ogre (which is unlikely) will result in 2d6 damage. Then anyone caught in the burst explosion takes 3d6 on a dex vs reflex attack. But whose dex vs reflex ?? The ogre's? Does that mean +4 vs reflex? -1?

Thanks
That was how I read it. Remember to roll scatter die to see where burst is though.

chris.m.durham

First Post
Hehe. My rogue used positioning strike to shift the ogre lateral to the cart, thus toppling the thing and setting the barrels ablaze. I didn't know the resulting explosions were more deadly to the hobgoblins than the barrels would have been to me. Cool.

Of course, the ogre pounded the snot out of me in retaliation.

Thordain

First Post
Okay guys I'm totally confused. My players have set fire to the cart, but one of the players is still in the cart when it exploded. Now the rules for the cask say:

Standard Action Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Special: The pitch cask rarely lands where the ogre wants
it to. See the text above for details.
Hit: 3d6 fire damage.
Effect: The origin square of the burst burns for the rest of the encounter. Any character entering the square or starting his turn in the square takes 1d6 fire damage.

So it's 3d6 damage to everyone, but WHOSE DEX VS REFLEX??? Nobody is throwing the crate, it's just exploding on its own.

Is it an automatic 3d6? Or is it dex vs reflex. If it's dex vs reflex, whose dex???

In the sidebar, it says:
Some PCs can deal a lot of damage even at 1st level, and others might blow up the wagon while the ogre is still attached (meaning the ogre takes the explosion damage for 4 consecutive rounds).

So that seems to imply that the ogre has no choice but to take explosion damage. I read that as if the cask expodes, it's 3d6 to everyone in burst no matter what.

Thordain

First Post
ok found the answer:

Each explosion is a +6 attack against Reflex defense in a burst 3 area, dealing 3d6 fire damage (half on miss)

Remove ads