• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another Take on the Dhampir

krocha

First Post
Okay, so Khaalis has an great version he is using in his own campaign and it got me thinking of how I would want one for my home campaign and here's my first attempt. I borrowed heavily from his work, and then took some inspiration from both the 4e DMG's Vampire Lord Template and the Libris Mortis sourcebooks. Let me know what you all think.

edit: Based on initial feedback, here's version 2

Dhampir

In race circumstances, a vampire that has recently consumed a significant quantity of blood gains the ability to breed successfully with living humanoids or monstrous humanoids, creating Dhampir (half-vampire) offspring. Also, in the unusual case of a pregnant humanoid or monstrous humanoid who survives a vampire’s blood drain attack, the child may be born “tainted” by the attacker’s vampirism. Regardless of the origin, the children produced by such events are typically branded as outcasts, welcome neither among the living or the undead.

Dhampir’s are often physically attractive and persuasive. Their skin is pale, even ashen in color. Unlike their undead forebears who typically are of evil alignment(s), Dhampir pursue all alignments, though most tend toward unaligned or evil.

Average Height: 5’ 7” - 6’ 4”
Average Weight: 145 - 225 lb.
Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 7 squares
Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Endurance

Bloodlust: You gain a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against bloodied foes.
Necrotic Resistance: You have resist necrotic 5
Dhampir Regeneration: You can use dhampir regeneration as an encounter power.

Dhampir Regeneration
Dhampir Racial Power
You call upon your vampiric heritage to shrug off fatigue and damage.
Encounter ✦ Healing
Minor Action - Personal
Special: Until the end of the encounter or until rendered unconscious, you gain a +2 racial bonus to damage. Additionally, for as long as you are bloodied, you gain regeneration 2 (regeneration 4 at 11th level, regeneration 6 at 21st level.)

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
At the very least, I think you should change the range of Bloodlust to 5. I do not see much point if you have to use both move actions to get to the one for you do not have a penalty against, thus not making any attacks and drawing no blood.

krocha

First Post
Kaodi said:
At the very least, I think you should change the range of Bloodlust to 5. I do not see much point if you have to use both move actions to get to the one for you do not have a penalty against, thus not making any attacks and drawing no blood.

Makes sense.... I'll make the change.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

evilbob

Explorer
One suggestion would be to use +2 Cha instead of one of your chosen ability scores - that seems to be a big deal, even in the description. I'm not sure what the other one would be... 4.0 vampires are not physically strong, really. They just have a couple of tricks (that really don't mesh well with vampire legend).

I'd also change the bloodlust to be a +1 bonus and forget the negative - it'll be too hard to track and constantly monitor. That might make it too powerful, though.

You could probably compensate a little by dropping the nec resistance to just 5. That is simple and seems more in line with only being partially a vampire. But you do lose any benefit for leveling up as this race, though.

Overall it seems a bit more powerful than the PHB races.

Satori

First Post
So far, they seem very Tiefling in flavor and feel. To keep balance, make them comparably powered to Tieflings.

Lower speed to 6.

Put Necrotic Resistance at 5 + 1/2 Level

Keep Bloodlust as is.

I personally think Dhampir Regeneration is overpowered. No Racial power should last an entire encounter. The Tiefling's racial is a reactive, one hit buff.

I would probably use something like:

Dhampir Hunger
Dhampir Racial Power
The sight of a bloodied foe sends you into a feeding frenzy. You draw upon your vampiric heritage to siphon the life from your foe.
Encounter ✦ Healing
Minor Action - Personal
Trigger: An adjacent enemy becomes bloodied.
Special: Gain a +1 to Hit and Damage with next melee attack against a bloodied foe, and gain 5 temporary hit points if the attack lands.

Khaalis

Adventurer
I personally think Dhampir Regeneration is overpowered. No Racial power should last an entire encounter.

Reference p.279 - Monster Manual 1

Longtooth Shifting -- Shifter Racial Power
Special: You must be bloodied to use this power.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter or until rendered unconscious, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls. In addition, for as long as you are bloodied, you gain regeneration 2 (regeneration 4 at 11th level, regeneration 6 at 21st level).

Last edited:

Remove ads