• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anti-feats?

emergent

First Post
I remember seeing "anti-feats" in some sourcebook I was flipping through at the local game store. These were feats that gave you some sort of disadvantages (a la GURPS) in exchange for bonuses, extra feat slots, etc. Of course, I can't remember what book it was in. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Has anyone used these (or similar "disadvantages" in their game?

kengar

First Post
I haven't seen this for d20/3e, but personally I would avoid such a rule. Feat progression is a pretty major issue in my group and I could see things rapidly getting out of hand if they could get more feats sooner. Unless the disadvantages were severe enough that they wouldn't be worth the feat in the first place, you could end up with powerplayers becoming very unbalanced and/or difficult to play.

emergent

First Post
Thanks, kengar. I am not realy sure its a good idea, but wanted to at least look at it. I know I saw it somewhere -- maybe in a swashbuckler type book.

Do you think any sort of disadvantage mechanism would work in a d20 game, even if it wasn't feat based?

Dismas

First Post
emergent said:
I remember seeing "anti-feats" in some sourcebook I was flipping through at the local game store. These were feats that gave you some sort of disadvantages (a la GURPS) in exchange for bonuses, extra feat slots, etc. Of course, I can't remember what book it was in. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Has anyone used these (or similar "disadvantages" in their game?

The Villian Design Handbook by Kenzer Co for Kingdoms of Kalamar

kengar

First Post
The question is what would a character gain by taking the disadvantage? In GURPS & the new LOTR RPG, characters take disads/flaws in order to gain more advantages. If a character didn't get feats or skill points or something, why would a player take it? They might want a flaw or disad solely for RP purposes, but then there isn't any real need for an in-game mechanic unless it affects their stats somehow.

Kamard

First Post
"Anti-feats" also appear in the Swashbuckling Adventures book from AEG, which I am pretty sure is what you were looking at.

bolen

First Post
In the villian hb you roll on a table for your anti-feat. for every two anti-feats you have you gain one feat. Most of the anti-feats are just take the feat in the PhB and make +'s into -'s. The real danger is that you could roll and loose a feat that you already had or loose a pre-req for a feat and loose that as well. I really think this is beter for NPC's then PC's and that is the way it is presented in the book as well.

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
Aaah disadvantages.

I miss my paraplegic blind deaf mute with 400 skill points in Guns.

Poor GURPS. I loved every game I played in it, but hated the System.

emergent

First Post
"Anti-feats" also appear in the Swashbuckling Adventures book from AEG, which I am pretty sure is what you were looking at.

YES! That was it! Thanks, Kamard. And thanks to those who have pointed me toward the Villans Design Handbook. I'll check it out.

I miss my paraplegic blind deaf mute with 400 skill points in Guns.

Hey, I think this guy was in my GURPS partyas well, Katerek!:D

Remove ads