• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anti-Spyware program?

Aesmael

Explorer
Could someone suggest a good alternative to adaware? Recently been having some problems with ads and pages popping up that it can't seem to get rid of. Well, I just updated it again this session and it suggested it could not finish until after a reboot, but even so I would rather not rely on just one program.
Your input is appreciated.

jezter6

Explorer
Check out Spyware Search and Destory, Hijack this, and Bazooka. Bazooka is great because it gives great manual instructions to destroy spyware and keylogger type programs on your system.

Captain Howdy

Explorer
It's actually called Spybot- Search and Destroy, and besides sounding like an 80's metal song, it's a good program. You might want to try it.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Even better than scanners, is there any sort of application that blocks spyware from being installed in the first place? Would a firewall handle this?

drnuncheon

Explorer
Firewalls wouldn't in general, because the request is actually going out from your browser.

The maker of Spybot S&D recommends Spyware Blaster as a tool to not get the stuff installed in the first place - I haven't used it myself.

Aesmael

Explorer
Thanks. I've heard of Spybot - Search and Destroy a few times very positively but could not remember the name. I hope it lives up to its reputation.

The single best thing you can do to protect yourself from getting hit by this stuff in the first place is to not use Internet Explorer. Download Firefox or Opera. It takes a little time to wean yourself off of IE, but everyone I know who has is glad they did.

caudor

Adventurer
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
The single best thing you can do to protect yourself from getting hit by this stuff in the first place is to not use Internet Explorer. Download Firefox or Opera. It takes a little time to wean yourself off of IE, but everyone I know who has is glad they did.

I agree. I started using Firefox (on both my PC & Mac) and it is one sweet browser. It also grows on you once you get used to it. In fact, I'm using it right now
:)

Fast Learner

First Post
Spybot Search & Destroy -- which nicely complements Ad-Aware, imo, but doesn't replace it -- is truly excellent, plus it blocks a ton of exploits (use the "Immunize" option), cutting out a ton of possible spyware. Very useful, and it adds quite a bit of protection to Internet Explorer, to boot (plugging holes).

Remove ads