D&D 1E Any 1e (or 2e) iconic dungeons that never made it to the top 30 list in dungeon magazine?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I can't believe B7: Rahasia didn't make the list; it's on just about everyone's list of "old favorites." I'd also add CM1: Test of the Warlords; it's one of the largest expansions of the D&D Known World campaign setting, and integrates the rules for mass combat, strongholds, and character-owned dominions.

1641339506777.png
1641339780947.png

Last edited:

Greggy C

Hero
Nice, ordered heh. I love reading these old modules, its far better than trying to read childhood books, much easier to recapture the magic. At some point I'm going to get my combat simulator up and running for 1e and see what it would have been like to take a party through them (at a fast pace).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Lisa Smedman's S5 The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga (affiliate link), for AD&D 2E, should absolutely have been on that list. Seriously, look at the comments on the DriveThruRPG sales page; that's Roger E. Moore himself, who wrote the classic adventure with Baba Yaga's hut back in Dragon #83, praising this one as the superior offering. Having played it myself, I agree; that adventure is one of the all-time greats.

guachi

Hero
I've owned B7, X4, & X5 for decades and finally got to run them using 5e rules several years ago.

B7 reads better than it plays. There are just far too many rooms that have nothing in them. Cut that down and what's left is really good, though. I think the players liked it.

X4 & and X5 were outstanding. The campaign fell apart after X5 and about 18 months of gaming (though at the end only one player had been there from the start). By that point the motivation for an otherwise railroad adventure was easy to generate. The encounters had the players constantly on their toes. They are just so uniformly odd.

I loved it as a capstone to the campaign. Though B10 still has my vote for greatest D&D adventure and there really isn't a close second.

Greggy C

Hero
Lisa Smedman's S5 The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga (affiliate link), for AD&D 2E, should absolutely have been on that list. Seriously, look at the comments on the DriveThruRPG sales page; that's Roger E. Moore himself, who wrote the classic adventure with Baba Yaga's hut back in Dragon #83, praising this one as the superior offering. Having played it myself, I agree; that adventure is one of the all-time greats.
thanks, I can't bring myself to read pdfs, got to sit down with a book to get the feels. But I did find an original on auction so yay, nice change from dragonlance for 2e. Which reminds me, a lot of people bash it, but I enjoyed running the three 1e/2e conversion modules with the Faerun gods (Shadowdale, Waterdeep, Tantras) so I got to pick those up.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
thanks, I can't bring myself to read pdfs, got to sit down with a book to get the feels. But I did find an original on auction so yay, nice change from dragonlance for 2e.
DriveThruRPG has print-on-demand for that particular module (and a lot of other products). For $7.50 USD (plus taxes and shipping), you can get a print copy, which I imagine is less than what it goes for at auction. ;)

Greggy C

Hero
DriveThruRPG has print-on-demand for that particular module (and a lot of other products). For $7.50 USD (plus taxes and shipping), you can get a print copy, which I imagine is less than what it goes for at auction. ;)
They also sell reprints for some modules, but I cannot do it, I can smell the difference, got to feel old.

I have the collecting bug and I'm looking for published modules from 1e/2e days.

I have been working from the Dungeon Magazines 30 greatest d&d adventures list
Dungeon Magazine's '30 Greatest D&D Adventures of All Time' - The Shop on the Borderlands

Would you say there were any pre 3e adventures not on that list that you thought were iconic/good that are worth collecting?

(Only published modules, not articles in Dragon).
Judge's Guild's Caverns of Thracia and Dark Tower. Not on the list because not TSR.

Remove ads