• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any good adventures in Ravenloft?

Riley

Legend
Supporter
I'm working my way through TSR's back catalog, trying to find any great/'classic' adventures that I may have missed the first time around.

In general, 2e and the 1990's seemed (to me) to be a pretty poor time for modules, with far too many "Scene 1," "Scene 2,"... railroads.

One series that I never really checked out was Ravenloft. Are there any "must read," or even "pretty darned good," Ravenloft adventures - apart from the original one?

If so, which are the best, and what makes them great? And do any of them have particularly good maps or handouts?

vagabundo

Adventurer
The only adventure I've got for Ravenloft is the Hour of the Knife. It is a Jack the Ripper adventure set in a Victorian londonesque city.

I really liked it; it has loads of interesting NPCs and a non-linear investigating plot.

Not sure how it stacks up against other Ravenloft adventures. I tried running it once, but it fell flat, more due to bad DMing and my players not being too experienced with that playstyle.

I found it an interesting read anyway.

"A madman stalks the fog-shrouded streets of Paridon, killing with gruesome precision - and always at midnight.
A party of brave adventurers witnesses the most recent of these brutal murders. Now that they've seen the killer's face, they're sure to be his next targets.
Who can be trusted in this city where the residents are not what they appear to be?
Those who dare to track the killer will find strange allies - and even stranger enemies. The adventurers must investigate the ancient mystery behind the murders that take place when the clock strikes the "Hour of the Knife."
This 64-page adventure includes a full-color poster-sized map of Paridon. The adventure is based on the popular RPGA Network tournament by Bruce Nesmith."

Last edited:

Stoat

Adventurer
I liked Feast of Goblyns. The opening hook is a classic 2E railroad, and should be nuked from orbit, but it contains two pretty good set-piece dungeons.

FunkBGR

Explorer
I really liked Feast of Goblyns, Castles Forlorn (Boxed Set), Night of the Walking Dead, The Shadow Rift and Neither Man Nor Beast. I've run all of those very successfully in one form or another.

Also, a nice touch was in their Children of the Night series, there were short vignettes detailing various stories - some of those were astoundingly good.

And of course, you absolutely cannot beat the original I6: Ravenloft.

Rhun

First Post
And of course, you absolutely cannot beat the original I6: Ravenloft.

Absolutely!

And I'm going to go a step further and say I10 Ravenloft II - The House on Gryphon Hill. I love that adventure, though it is a real bear to DM.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
I really liked Feast of Goblyns, Castles Forlorn (Boxed Set), Night of the Walking Dead, The Shadow Rift and Neither Man Nor Beast. I've run all of those very successfully in one form or another.
I loved Night of the Walking Dead and Feast of Goblyns. Feast is a great railroad, but if your PCs are "good", they will happily follow the plot. We had a great time, all of our players really distrusted the main characters and our characters didn't really trust them either. However, we didn't have any proof that these people weren't who they said they were. It was great following the course of the adventure.

I actually liked the last adventures in the Scrolls of Hyskosa saga. If you run through a Ravenloft campaign, it's really neat to have the PCs go back in time and take part in some of the seminal moments in the history of Ravenloft.

The Evil Eye is a great adventure. It's set in the Domain of Invidia, and it includes quite a lot of information on the setting, an interesting plot with compelling villains, and multiple possible endings.
The boxed set Bleak House is also a really good adventure. It revolves around the famed Dr. Rudolph Van Richten (as those who are aware of the boxed set's subtitle will know) and, though because of this it may be possible that the players feel like second row characters, it's something any DM can work around and the adventure is really worth it.
I also enjoyed running Servants of Darkness, which depicts how good guys with good intentions can do all sort of wrong deeds.
The Shadow Rift, which can be set up as a sequel to Servants, is another adventure that I really like, throwing the PCs into the realms of the fey, whith all manner of weird, fantastic sights, and an epic quest.

ProfessorPain

First Post
Feast of Goblyns and Ship of Horror are classic. Night of the Walking Dead plays pretty well. Castles Forlorn was a beefy boxed set with lots to do. I liked Adam's Wrath as well. A little odd in some places, but fun overall.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Thanks for all the suggestions! (of course, also feel free to keep them coming)

I think a couple of those were released by TSR/Wizards online for free back in the day, so I'll start by taking a look at those over the weekend.

Does anyone have any thoughts about Masque of the Red Death?

Remove ads