• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any good DM computer aides?

Perun

Mushroom
My DM called me tonight, and he's interested in programmes that can aid in DMing. Sort of like e-tools, only functional :)

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I'm in the midst of writing some in Python... they're currently command-line oriented, and not fit for public consumption. (These facts are NOT related... ;) )

-- N

EDIT: In other words, I'm very interested in some non-sucky tools, too! :)

Last edited:

dren

First Post
Try Sean Reynold's website. He is building and posting an excel program for just this purpose. It's far from finished but it has a really good monster building program and some classes so far.

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
Tools

Perun said:
programmes that can aid in DMing.
That covers a wide-range of things. Any more specific?

First off, you have Character Generators - programs for making NPCs, PCs, advancing monsters, applying templates, etc. In this category is E:Tools, PCGen, Campaign Suite, Roleplaying Master, DM Genie.

Then there's Combat Management programs - programs to use at the game table to run the game. For me, this is the biggest leap in productivity for a DM. In this category is my program, DM's Familiar, Roleplaying Master and DM Genie.

Then we have Reference programs - programs designed to let you look up rules and other information quickly while you play. DM's Familiiar does that, there's a number of Excel spreadsheets floating around, or the HTML and PDF versions of the SRD.

Lots of DMs seem to like mapping programs - programs for making maps, and I assume, using them during the game. The new Dunjinni, Campaign Cartographer, AutoRealm, and others.

Then there's Miscellaneous. Tablesmith for creating random table of all sorts, character portrait creators, programs for online gaming, etc.

The key point would be that almost all of the programs have free demos. Download the demos and see which ones meet your needs.

Maldevane

First Post
Computer Aide for Spells

You might want to try out the D&D Spell Archiver program in the download/tools section. Quick, easy, and thorough in terms of viewing spells, as well as searching/filtering functions.

froli

First Post
Check out RPG Manager v1.7. It's a cool and free program I have developed to create and manage worlds, characters, creatures, spells and so on. It has a good editing part and a managment part for actual game sessions where you can keep track of party movement on your map, combat, flow of time and much more. Try it, it's free.

Flavio Roli
Designer and developer of RPG Manager
http://www.rpgmanager.net

soulcatcher

First Post
GMGen

Look into GMGen. GMGen is a companion app to pcgen that is embedded in it, and it can do a *ton* of stuff. I wrote most of it, so I am biased, but I think it's a fantastic app ;)

I jsut posted this to another thread:

GMGen Thread

The short of it is that GMGen can do the following:
Track Combats
Generate Encounters
Assign Experience
Display Characters
Generate Random names of people/places/things
A Dice Bag
Networking (for at table or internet play - more intended for at table though)
a notes system
various other things (read the link)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads