• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any good email software

To add a little more than just another vote for Thunderbird....

I recommend using Thunderbird (if you must use a desktop client) using IMAP to link to your Gmail account. Google "thunderbird imap gmail" and you should find something to get you started. But basically IMAP allows you to sync your local email with the email on the server, unlike POP3 which just does a straight download and allows you to either keep the original on the server or not - there is no "synching" so to speak. So you can manage your email on your desktop pc and still have the same email structure when you log in to your gmail account through any web interface wherever you might happen to be in the world.

Honestly tho, I'd just suggest use gmail's web interface in your browser. I used to strictly be a Thunderbird supporter. But gmail is perfect. I don't have to worry about backups. And I have it where ever I go. And the serach feature is great. If you use Firefox, there are some good extensions out there. I like "Gmail Manager" extension. The ability to use multiple accounts and multiple identities is great for me. I have a ton of email addresses, and I can check them all from one account. Also, I can send email as if it were from any of those email addresses from my one primary account (ala multiple identities).

I just value portability over the benefits of a desktop email client. I challenge anyone to point out a feature found in TB that is not found in Gmail's web interface. I'm not saying there isn't one, I'm just saying I haven't found it yet.

drothgery

First Post
Lockridge said:
Hello all,

I typically use Outlook Express for my email for POP3 emails and Hotmail accounts.
Microsoft recommends Windows Live which is free. I've thought about getting Outlook.

Really, if you're happy with Outlook Express and Hotmail (or even not sufficiently unhappy with Hotmail to change to someone else), then you should do what MS recommends and switch to Windows Live Mail, which is essentially a point release of OE / Windows Mail (from Vista) anyway.

I rather like Outlook, and use Outlook 2007 @home because I've got an MSDN subscription which includes it, but unless you're buying a version of Office that includes it anyway (and the least expensive Home & Student version doesn't), then it's probably not worth the money.

ki11erDM

Explorer
Install Windows Live Mail and try it. Install Thunderbird and try it. Don't take any of our words on which is better...

I use Outlook from work but Live Mail (and most of the other Live services for that matter) is very darn good. My 55+ year old mom switched from Outlook Express to Live Mail all on her own and had no issues with the switch an has had no issues with the new software. Not sure what that says but it says something.

At work we have a few people that refused to switch to Outlook from Eudora from years and years ago. When Eudora shutdown we finally had some leverage to force them to move to a modern mail program. Most picked Thunderbird (13 people). Most of those (9) had a huge issue in the transfer and ended up moving to Outlook. The issue was much more to do with Eudora than that early version of Thunderbird… but was enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Again. Try both. And post back with which one you liked the most!

Lockridge

First Post
Thanks for all the replies folks,
I hadn't even considered Thunderbird before so I'll try it out. I'll try Live as well just to see what its like but I'm getting increasingly tired of Microsoft.

I really do wish that applications would be able to move to an operating-system neutral state but thats a whole other argument.

Thanks again.
Lockridge

XCorvis

First Post
I think Thunderbird is a great client, I used it for years, but I've been using Gmail for my primary email for a few months now and I love it. I've found I don't need Thunderbird. Get a gmail account an pop your mail over from hotmail. Granted, there are some things a pop client can do that a web client cannot (offline mode, templates, multiple sigs), so you'll have to evaluate your usage and see if those features are important to you.

Thanee

First Post
Speaking of gmail, do they even give out @gmail.com addresses these days, or is it only @googlemail.com now?

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads