D&D 3E/3.5 Any good Homebrew Monk Variants? [3.5e]

Dandu

First Post
1. I'm not saying you should be able to solo a CR 13 encounter, but your stunning fist is useless and your damage just isn't making a difference, while your AC means you'll be getting a very bloody nose every combat. If it was in a party, the monk wouldn't be contributing as much to defeating CR appropriate encounters as you claim to be. The enemy's more likely to ignore him and go for a real threat, like the party spellcasters, or a blood splattered barbarian who's busy ripping people structurally superfluous orifices.
2. Ask and you shall receive.

nightdrake66

First Post
Well thank you for your opinion sir, my party is getting a kick out of it. Ill make sure to tell my dm that I shouldn't be a target because I'm so weak ;)

Dandu

First Post
I'm rather inclined to suspect that, despite Monks being a weak class, the others are just played badly. Either that or there's a rules misunderstanding about something, somewhere.

Forgive me. I know there are many legitimate ways of dealing damage in the quadruple digits. A charging build with Shock Trooper and Battle Jump could do it, as could the King of Smack build, which involves a Monk/Psychic Warrior, but I've grown a little cynical at builds which claim to deal huge amounts of damage because I've seen so many that do not live up to the hype.

Last edited:

BENINHB

First Post
Make the Monk less M.A.D. and add WIS to more things. It could help out some of the deader levels too.

3rd level- At 3rd the Swashbucklers Insightful Strike (+INT to Damage) Lets take that and make a monk equivalent. Precise Blow (+WIS to Damage)

5th level- Precise Maneuver (+WIS to Combat Maneuvers) Training and repeating the movements over and over has allow the monk greater skill in the more technical combat maneuvers.

8th level- Flow of Combat (+WIS to Attack rolls) By immersing himself into the flow of combat the monk begins to strike not at where his opponent is now but at where they will be.

10th- Mindless Readiness (+WIS to Initiative) The repetition the monk has undergone in training has brought his reactions to the point where there are so ingrained they require no conscious thought. He is ready to act in any situation.

13th- Iron Body (+WIS to HP per HD) The Monks mastery of his mind and body have progressed to the point that he is able to withstand or absorb extreme punishment with little effect.

... Others??

Mind over Body (DR/- equal to WIS)

Words of the Wise (+WIS on Diplomacy, Intimidate, Bluff)

Practiced Movement (+WIS on Movement Skills ie. Jump, Tumble, Swim, Climb, Balance...)

Remove ads