• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any opinions about FFVII on PC?

VorpalWarrior69

First Post
I missed FFVII the first time around. I've finally cleared off my (video-gaming) plate enough to have some time to check it out. People want a lot of money for used PS1 copies, but the PC version of the game still goes for a reasonable price. So...anybody know of any differences between the two versions? Any reason to kick out the extra cash and get the PS1 version, or am I good to go with the PC game?

Thanks!

Rackhir

Explorer
VorpalWarrior69 said:
I missed FFVII the first time around. I've finally cleared off my (video-gaming) plate enough to have some time to check it out. People want a lot of money for used PS1 copies, but the PC version of the game still goes for a reasonable price. So...anybody know of any differences between the two versions? Any reason to kick out the extra cash and get the PS1 version, or am I good to go with the PC game?

Thanks!

IIRC, there was something with the Gamma on the backgrounds, being off (appearing washed out). Make sure you have a Dual Shock style controller. The quality of the cut scenes is lower, but the 3d graphics are better on the PC.

It's a great game either way, though the graphics which were mind blowing at the time are kinda primitive by current standards. I still like the combat/magic/limit break system from FF VII the best of the FF series. The limit break system in particular I though was an extremely innovative "mechanical" solution to the Blazing Sword/Wave Motion Gun/Uber-weapon problem. In other words, why don't they just pull out their big gun at the start of the fight and blow away the enemy then. Answer - They have to wait until their Limit Break Bar fills.

Of course there does seem to be an "Imprinting" phenomena with FF games. People seem to fixate on what ever FF game they played first as "the greatest game ever/in the series/etc!".

Last edited:

jeffh

Adventurer
VorpalWarrior69 said:

Thanks!
I think some of the dialogue is censored, but any differences are minor.

However, I cannot get the PC version to run for me. I always did have trouble with it and since two upgrades of my computer ago it just isn't happening at all. I think it's extremely finicky about what type of video card it will talk to. It turned out I was better off running the PS1 version on my computer via an emulator program than trying to run the PC version.

Bront

The man with the probe
Having not tried, I'm not 100% sure, but graphical differences seem the most likely.

I'd be suprised if censoring was the issue. I don't recall much that needed to be censored in the PSX game.

FFVII was a huge leap forward in the series. I played some of the earlier ones, which were ok, and I played FFVIII, which would have been ok if it weren't for the stupid spell stealing thing (Though I know someone who thinks that's the best one ever). There is a lot of fun stuff in FFVII, enough to where it was one of the first CRPG consol games I replayed after finishing it, and one where I had a lot of fun doing so (Though Tales of Symphonia still is the top Replaying CRPG I've dealt with so far).

I have the PC version laying around. I should try to get it running.

Darkwolf71

First Post
FFVII is... not the best of the series, but it is damn good. It's the first story where you develop a real bonding attachment to the characters in the story. The previous games all had interesting stories and were certainly fun to experience. (FFIV-misnamed FFII on release is my personal favorite. Likely due to Rackhir's 'imprinting' theory. Then X followed by VII)

VII with it's vastly improved graphics and awesome CG cut scenes was impressive. The first scene where you see this strange steampunk inspired city and you follow the train in to the opening sequence of game play, amazing. Character loss is nothing new to the games. Palom and Porom, Shadow. Death happens, sad but part of the story. 'What happens next?'
When you get to that point in VII. It... is... devastating. Weather that shock holds up for someone playing it for the first time today is another question.

Also, on the down side, I always found the directional controls to be a bit clunky. You get used to them quickly enough, but I have to 're-acclimatize' every time I put the game in.

As to which version? I'd go for the PS version, but I'm a purist and a collector. If that's not you and the PC game is cheaper...

VorpalWarrior69

First Post
Darkwolf71 said:
As to which version? I'd go for the PS version, but I'm a purist and a collector. If that's not you and the PC game is cheaper...

I think getting the PC would be my second choice. I'd much rather be playing it sitting in the living room in front of the big TV instead of being banished to my little computer station in the basement. But something deep inside me sours at the thought of paying more for it than a new PS2 (or even PS3) game. Guess I'll just tough it up and get crackin' on eBay.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I heard something about how, in the PC version, the final song "One-Winged Angel" is a MIDI file instead of the actual song (with vocals) that's in the PS1 version. But I can't say if that's true.

For me, the PC version had some problems with crashing and general performance, but since that was ten years ago, I'm not sure if it was the game or my PC at the time. That said, I think console games are always preferable to PC games.

Masquerade

First Post
Beware: The PC version is glitchy and unreliable, and does not run at all on Windows XP. If at all possible, go for the Playstation version, but with the caveat that it may not be very impressive looking on your "big TV." (I own both copies--I had to get the PS version when I got a new computer which, unfortunately, did not support the PC version.)

That said, Final Fantasy VII is easily one of my top 10 favorite video games and top 5 video game RPGs. It is absolutely a must-play, and, in my opinion, is just as much fun now as it was the day it was released.

ohGr

First Post
Personally, i can't stand the game and will never play it again, so you're more than welcome to my PS1 copy, if you want it. I don't have the original jewel case anymore and the discs have some light scratching, but the manual is pristine (i doubt i ever cracked it open, actually).

VorpalWarrior69

First Post
ohGr said:
Personally, i can't stand the game and will never play it again, so you're more than welcome to my PS1 copy, if you want it. I don't have the original jewel case anymore and the discs have some light scratching, but the manual is pristine (i doubt i ever cracked it open, actually).

I will take you up on that in a heartbeat, if you are serious about that. Send me an email at m s k o c i l i c h -at- y a h o o . c o m (without the spaces and using the @ symbol) for details.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads