Votes: 9 11.8%
  • I have, but wouldn't again

Votes: 11 14.5%

Mystery Man

First Post
Vraille Darkfang said:
Go OUTSIDE during Hunting Season!!!!

Are you CRAZY?!?!?

I live in an area of the country where the Farmers spray paint the sides of their cattle with C-O-W during hunting season! And they STILL have cows get shot. And Goats. And Scarecrows. And Alpacas (happened a few years ago). Oh Yeah. OTHER HUNTERS.

Too many drunk, trigger happy idiots out there for me. (I have no problem with trained, SOBER hunters; I'm just scared of teh drunk ones).

Beer+Guns+Beer+Ammo+Bear+Early Mornings+Beer+Beer+Jack Daniels isn't a combo I want to think about on 5 in the morning.

(Really, too many hunters around here, if forced between more ammo or more beer, would chose the more beer).

Once again the case is made for beer+fishing. Nobody gets shot and after a while it doesn't really matter if you don't catch anything.

kirinke

First Post
I don't have anything against hunting, either trophy hunting or hunting for meat. For one, it does thin down the local deer and wild animal population so they don't overpopulate. To me as long as you kill the animals quickly and cleanly, no big.

And as for trophy hunters, most give the meat away to the local shelters and what not. In some cases, especially if they hunt on indian reservations (with the indians permission), they give the meat to the tribe. So, nowadays, most trophy hunters don't waste the meat, which is good.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Mystery Man said:
Once again the case is made for beer+fishing. Nobody gets shot and after a while it doesn't really matter if you don't catch anything.
Nah, with beer + fishing, you just get a fish hook through your eyebrow.

True story, happened to my cousin's ex-husband. :)

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I have never been hunting, though I go shooting a lot and I have a very nice Remington .30-06. I've had some interest in it, but most people I know who hunt go on expensive hunts, like Antelope in Wyoming.

Ironically, I am currently the Secretary for a local hunting club.

JediSoth

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
Personally, no. I come from a family that wasn't much into hunting and fishing. Ironically, though, I became a biologist, more precisely I work in wildlife management and wildlife ecology. So I work quite a bit with hunters and fishermen.

Generally speaking, I have no problem with the sport. But like some of you have said above, it is not the majority that worries me during hunting season, it's that idiot with his .303 that decides that I'm a bother and loads his weapon threateningly in my direction that worries me (true story). :eek:

FickleGM

Explorer
First for the obligatory "why we hunt and eat meat" sayings (no offense meant):

"We have the sharp pointy teeth for a reason" - my wife

"We have telescopic vision so that we can judge the distance between ourselves and our prey" - I forget where I heard that one

"We like vegetarians, they make us laugh" - sign at Famous Dave's in Wisconsin Dells

Second, I've only hunted squirrel once with my dad about twenty years ago. I would like to bow hunt, but haven't found the time, ambition or money.

I used to fish when I was younger, but it's been about fifteen years since I've fished. I would like to do that again.

I've tried vegetarianism a few times, but it is hard to maintain a certain eating style without buy-in from the rest of the family. Oh yeah, I like meat too much as well.

Perhaps someday I will take up hunting and fishing again.

Mystery Man

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
Nah, with beer + fishing, you just get a fish hook through your eyebrow.

True story, happened to my cousin's ex-husband. :)

I pierced my friends ear from 15 feet away once. Casting gone awry. I should have known better than to do that with him standing on the end of the dock. We had to walk all the way back to the cabin with me holding the rod and him on the other end of the line with the hook in his ear cussing at me the entire way.. We were both quite sober. :heh: :eek:

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I hunt just about whenever there's a season. (Deer, rabbit, goose, duck, quail, pheasant, and dove mostly. I don't have the patience for turkey hunting.) I eat what I kill (for the most part, I do donate a sizable amount of meat to the local food pantry every year), and don't tend to have many trophies since my fiancee doesn't really like them. (I still keep the racks of any bucks I bag if for nothing else that to use as a call.)

Remove ads