Anybody gonna run the 4e Steading of the Hill Giant Chief from DDI as a PBP here?

tiornys

Explorer
Ok, having looked at the example maps, I think I can work with that format. I'll probably have more questions on them, which I'll resolve via PM with Scotley (thanks Scotley!) as they come up.

And we also have a good start on players, it seems. Rhun, I have no problem with your being new to 4E.

I'm away from home until after the new year, so I'm not sure how much time I'll have for the next week or so. In the meantime, here are my initial thoughts on character creation: Start at level 12, with standard point buy. Choose a theme and a background, pick magic items at levels 11, 12, and 13, and start with 9000 gp to spend on additional items, consumables, ritual components, etc. All official sources are legal. All characters have Improved Defenses and Versatile Expertise for free. If anyone has any questions or concerns, or thinks something should be done differently, speak up! The goal is for all of us to work together to create a fun and satisfying experience.

It's up to you whether or not your characters have met and/or adventured together prior to this scenario. A bit of copy/paste from the adventure background:
Giants have been raiding the civilized lands in large
bands, visiting death and destruction upon villages,
towns, and farmlands. Entire militias have been conquered,
whole crops wiped out. These marauding
bands consist of mixed groups of hill giants, stone
giants, frost giants, and fire giants, as well as ogres
and other monsters allied with the giants.
Determined to repel the invaders, local lords have
begun hiring brave adventuring parties. The first
few groups didn’t fare so well. Some were crushed
beneath the boulders and jackboots of rampaging
giants, while others went into the wilderness and
never returned. However, a new band of adventurers
has assembled to punish the marauding giants and
banish them from the civilized lands!
Obviously, the new band of adventurers is you. I'll be working on something a bit more fleshed out for the actual introduction to the adventure.

drothgery

First Post
I dropped a bunch of games a few months ago because I was in too many to keep up with with work... and then got knocked back to part-time. So I'm kind of looking to have more than one active PBP character again.

Kind of looking at a rogue (thief), since it looks like they're very much single-ability dependent so doing a smart rogue as a thief wouldn't be self-gimping too much, or maybe a wizard (bladesinger).

[sblock=first draft of character]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Gwenn, level 12
Human, Rogue (Thief), Master Thief
Outlaw Level 5 Feature Option: Hills and Mountains
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Proficiency: Weapon Proficiency (Rapier)
Noble Bred for War (Noble Bred for War Benefit)
Theme: Outlaw

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 12, DEX 21, INT 16, WIS 12, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 9, CON 11, DEX 16, INT 14, WIS 11, CHA 14

AC: 26 Fort: 23 Ref: 29 Will: 25
HP: 79 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +16, Bluff +14, Dungeoneering +12, Insight +12, Perception +12, Stealth +16, Streetwise +16, Thievery +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Athletics +6, Diplomacy +10, Endurance +7, Heal +7, History +9, Intimidate +11, Nature +7, Religion +9

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Outlaw Attack: Surprise Strike
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Rogue Utility: Backstab
Rogue Utility: Acrobat's Trick
Rogue Utility: Tactical Trick
Rogue Utility: Unbalancing Trick
Rogue Utility: Cunning Escape
Rogue Utility: Ambush Trick
Rogue Utility 2: Sneak in the Attack
Rogue Utility 6: Swift Parry
Rogue Utility 10: Acrobat's Escape
Master Thief Utility 12: Fading Retreat

FEATS
Level 1: Backstabber
Level 1: Light Blade Expertise
Level 2: Surprising Charge
Level 4: Nimble Blade
Level 6: Action Surge
Level 8: Flash of the Blade
Level 10: Disciple of Freedom
Level 11: Deft Blade
Level 12: Improved Defenses
Level 12: Light Blade Precision

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Melegaunt's Darkblade Rapier +3 x1
Leather Armor of Cleansing +3 x1
Amulet of Protection +3 x1
====== End ======[/sblock][sblock=background]House Arellic had held the border for five generations. Five generations where it sent its sons and daughters to fight the kingdom's wars. And Gwenn had been raised to be the sixth. But in a chain of events that even now she didn't fully understand, the crown had turned against her family, declared them outlaws, and handed their lands to her family's oldest enemies all in the name of 'peace'. Not surprisingly, her father had raised his banner in rebellion. Also not surprisingly, the open rebellion he led had been crushed, and Gwenn barely escaped with a handful of supporters to the mountains.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
If no one objects, I would like to play a (wild)elf protector druid. I have currently one in a living game, but this is a very short adventure and on a much lower level.

But he looks like immense fun and I really like druids since AD&D2nd and love controllers in 4e.

pathfinderq1

First Post
I would be interested in getting in on this as well, if there is still space. If not, I'll just lurk along. Will think more on character possibilities once the holiday chaos winds down a bit.

Scotley

Hero
[snip]In the meantime, here are my initial thoughts on character creation: Start at level 12, with standard point buy. Choose a theme and a background, pick magic items at levels 11, 12, and 13, and start with 9000 gp to spend on additional items, consumables, ritual components, etc. All official sources are legal. All characters have Improved Defenses and Versatile Expertise for free. If anyone has any questions or concerns, or thinks something should be done differently, speak up! The goal is for all of us to work together to create a fun and satisfying experience.

It's up to you whether or not your characters have met and/or adventured together prior to this scenario.

Works for me! I'm good with our characters having met/adventured before as well. Shaping up to be a fine group.

Last edited:

Inspiratorium

First Post
Hey, if there's still an open spot here, I'm seeing a lack of a Defender class? I've got an idea for a Fighter (Knight) and a Paladin (Cavalier) brewing that I'd like to give a go?

I have character ideas for any other role ready too, for that matter. I've DMed three 4e games thus far, and I'm hoping to finally get to play in one =P Only problem I might run into is I don't have a DDI subscription or the PHBs, but I've got both essentials books.

Last edited:

After a long absence from these boards, I'd like to throw my name into the hat as well. I'd be open to playing any role, and have an idea for each. I can whip up a character sheet on short notice, too.

But I understand there's already been a lot of interest in this, so if I don't get a slot, I won't cry about it.

That said, here are some general ideas of what I'd like to play.

Half-Elf Bard (Skald), Leader
Mul Arena Fighter, Defender
Warforged Infernal Warlock, Striker
Human Malediction Invoker, Controller

[sblock=Lucan, the Bard]
[sblock=Character Sheet]
Lucan Frostwither, level 12
Half-Elf, Bard (Skald), Unwelcome Guest
Background: Criminal
Background Benefit: Stealth added to class skills
Theme: Athasian Minstrel

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 16, DEX 11, INT 19, WIS 11, CHA 21

STARTING ABILITY SCORES (Before racial)
STR 9, CON 13, DEX 10, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 16

AC: 28 Fort: 25 Ref: 27 Will: 27
HP: 93 Surges: 47 Surge Value: 23

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +20, Bluff +19, Diplomacy +21, History +23, Stealth +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Athletics +9, Dungeoneering +11, Endurance +12, Heal +9, Insight +11, Nature +11, Perception +9, Religion +15, Streetwise +16, Thievery +9

POWERS
Half-Elf Dilettante Power: Threatening Rush
Bard At-Will: Song of Serendipity
Bard At-Will: Bolstering Speech

Athasian Minstrel: Poisoned Strike
Bard Encounter 1: Lesser Flash of Distraction
Bard Encounter 3: Seek Weakness
Bard Encounter 7: Prescient Warning
Unwelcome Guest Encounter 11: Noxious Strike

Bard Daily 1: Slayer's Song
Bard Daily 1: Disruptive Words
Bard Daily 5: Scathing Rebuke
Bard Daily 9: Thunder Blade

Bard Utility: Skald's Aura
Bard Utility: Words of Friendship
Bard Utility 2: Canon of Avoidance
Bard Utility 6: Revitalizing Incantation
Bard Utility 10: Word of Life
Unwelcome Guest Utility 12: Pernicious Poison

FEATS
BONUS: Improved Defenses
BONUS: Alchemist
BONUS: Versatile Expertise - Light Blades and Wands
Level 1: Weapon Focus - Light Blades
Level 2: Bardic Knowledge
Level 4: Bard of All Trades
Level 6: Toughness
Level 8: Friendly Deception
Level 10: Superior Fortitude
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Armor Specialization (Hide)

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Light Shield
Skeleton Key
Goodnight Tincture, Level 11 x2
Bloodstinger Poison, Level 13 x2
Surefoot Boots
Cloaked Rapier +3
Hide Armor of Resistance (Thunder) +3
Amulet of Protection +3
Dagger x2
278gp

LANGUAGES
Common, Elven, Giant

ALCHEMY FORMULAS
Bloodstinger Poison, Alchemist's Acid, Goodnight Tincture[/sblock]

[sblock=Workspace]
Attack
6 (1/2 level) + 5 (CHA mod) + 3 (prof.) + 2 (exp) + 3 (enh) = 19

Damage
5 (CHA mod) + 3 (enh) + 2 (focus) = 10

[sblock=Defenses]
AC
10 + 6 (1/2 level) + 4 (INT mod) + 3 (hide armor) + 1 (hide spec.) + 3 (enh) + 1 (light shield) = 28

Fort
10 + 6 (1/2 level) + 3 (CON mod) + 3 (enh) + 3 (superior fort.) = 25

Ref
10 + 6 (1/2 level) +4 (INT mod) + 3 (enh) + 1 (skald) + 1 (light shield) +2 (improved defenses)= 27

Will
10 + 6 (1/2 level) + 5 (CHA mod) + 3 (enh) + 1 (skald) +2 (improved defenses)= 27[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Background]
Lucan began working on the song many years ago. At first, when his career had just begun, it was a heroic ballad in honor of an unnamed warrior poet. He performed fragments of his work in front of ambivalent crowds in taverns all across the countryside. One of the men in the audience, a raspy-voiced traveler, handed the performer a card. And so, two months later, after his initiation into the Order of the Singing Blade, Lucan added another verse to his poem. It developed a haunting melody that told the tale of a man who lulls people to sleep with song and then plucks their hearts out.

Lucan's position in the guild was to perform for noblemen at night, and to kill them before sunrise. Such was the way. He did not care for the life, but each mission, each performance, was a chance to add a note to the melody or a word to the lyrics. Until one time, too drunk to focus, his blade missed its mark. His cover blown, Lucan made a hasty retreat, but the Singing Blade doesn't make allowances for error. The bard fled deep into the woods, where he lived for four years. His song went unsung that whole time.

And one day, he joined a crew of wandering adventurers, and again he found cause to sing his songs. With allies at his back, he had an audience. And over time, he even found a handful of friends. Then the giants came, and Lucan found a chance to write his next canto; a song writ in the blood of tyrants.[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=MiniBlock]
HP: 93/93 Surges: 47 Value: 23
AC: 28 FORT: 25 REF: 27 WILL: 27

Attack +19
Damage +10

[sblock=Powers]
Threatening Rush
Song of Serendipity
Bolstering Speech

Poisoned Strike
Lesser Flash of Distraction
Seek Weakness
Prescient Warning
Noxious Strike

Slayer's Song
Disruptive Words
Scathing Rebuke
Thunder Blade

Class Utility: Skald's Aura
Class Utility: Words of Friendship
Bard U2: Canon of Avoidance
Bard U6: Revitalizing Incantation
Bard U10: Word of Life
Unwelcome Guest: Pernicious Poison[/sblock][/sblock]
edit: added improved defenses, and retrained jack of all trades for bard of all trades. updated the math. raised my trained skills by 3 and my FORT, REF, and WILL by a bit. Lowered my CON score by 1 and my HP accordingly.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Looks like we have 8 potential players with 2 drafts already posted and a DM. I guess Tiornys will rejoin us soon and give us an idea of how many characters. I expect with 8 starting we'll be down to 6 by the time the game really gets rolling. At least that has been my experience here. I hope to have time to get a draft out this weekend.

Remove ads