• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone actually played a Shadowdancer yet?

Jai Kel

Lurker Extraordinaire
It looks like I'll be getting a chance to play instead of DM in an upcoming campaign. I've been mulling over a character that could eventually qualify for Shadowdancer, and I just wondered if anyone had any first-hand knowledge about the playability/fun factor/coolness of the Shadowdancer?

I'm starting out a Human Monk that is really concentrated on stealth and scouting. So, it would not take much to go on to Shadowdancer and it seems like the Hide in Plain Sight, Darkvision, and Uncanny Dodge would come in really handy for this guy...

Thoughts?

FungiMuncher

First Post
Yeah, I played a CG goblin rogue/shadowdancer one time. It was pretty fun. It was cool zipping in and out of melee, offending the the guards then disappearing under their noses, and doing advanced scouting. It was really neat to have an unturnable shadow companion to find trouble with. Mine was called Roscoe. :D

Not sure I would have as much fun with a monk/shadowdancer, but YMMV.

FM

Hi Jai Kel,

I have not played a Shadowdancer but I've certainly DM'd one. They are just real nasty in combat and general sneaking around where they shouldn't (but can). However, this one was based upon a Rogue and not a Monk. I will say that the Rogue's Sneak Attack really adds to the concept. Still, the Monk base should be good enough and develop it's own idiosyncracies. Report back and tell us how it goes.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

John Crichton

First Post
The SD is a cool concept PrC. I played one when 3e first came out. Managed to annoy my DM a bit because I kept going places I wasn't supposed to - which, to me, it kinda the point of the class. The abilities are neat and I had a very good story to go along with it. Actually playing the character was fun as he was a rogue/bard with 2 levels of SD. As long as the DM is cool with you playing one (and I believe there should be a story reason as to how the PrC is obtained) then you should be fine. Have fun! :cool:

Remove ads