Anyone else miss % dice?

Quickbeam

Explorer
I love the d20 system, and I think it's made the game more universal and adaptable. But, there are times when I just miss rolling those percentage dice to determine the outcome of a particular event. *sighs* Anyone else?

BTW, please don't tell me they're still used for magic item generation, etc. -- I know that. I'm simply saying that there are nights when my % dice sit unused on the table looking every bit as lonely as my d12's.

graydoom

First Post
I don't really miss them. Rolling a d20 is just as good as percentage dice with 5% increments, and the possibilities of things happens rarely deviated from those 5% increments.
And a d20 only requires one roll.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
I :) d%

Are you kidding? Do you know how suspeseful an arcane spell failure check can be when run under a good DM (namely me)? I had a Half-Elf wizard/cleric in one of my games who ran around from 5th to 15th level in chainmail, and always needed arcane spells when he thought he wouldn't... it was crazy! All thanks to thos whacky d% rolls!

Terraism

Explorer
Yep - Jack's right - we've still got the evil things, right there for Arcane Spell Failure... I believe that someone was asking the opposite of this on the old boards - "Why don't they use the d20 for all % rolls?" - but that the consensus was that the percentile was only used when nothing you could do would effect the roll.

graydoom

First Post
Terraism said:
Yep - Jack's right - we've still got the evil things, right there for Arcane Spell Failure... I believe that someone was asking the opposite of this on the old boards - "Why don't they use the d20 for all % rolls?" - but that the consensus was that the percentile was only used when nothing you could do would effect the roll.

Yeah, that was the conclusion we came to. It does seem to be pretty consistent, and serves to differentiate between rolls that can be affected and rolls that cannot be affected. More thought was put into that than I thought.

Agamon

Adventurer
Don't forget the recovery roll when knocked unconscious. Though I allow (and encourage, it's a bit faster) rolling just a d10, some players inisist on rolling the d%. The problem is I have one of those d100's that roll forever...I prefer they don't roll that. :)

graydoom

First Post
Agamon said:
Don't forget the recovery roll when knocked unconscious. Though I allow (and encourage, it's a bit faster) rolling just a d10, some players inisist on rolling the d%. The problem is I have one of those d100's that roll forever...I prefer they don't roll that. :)

I always just roll a d10. Takes less time.

Oh, and I've never seen an actual d100. What are they like?

Agamon

Adventurer
It's rather large ball (about 3x the size of a d20) with the numbers on it, covered in a clear plastic shell that is flattened over each number. It's also hollow and has some small weights inside to stop it from rolling so much (doesn't work well enough in my opinion) that makes a rattle noise when it's moved.

I have a d30, too. A friend bought it and gave it to me. No idea what to use it for, aside from randomly determining the day of a month.

Quickbeam

Explorer
All very reasonable replies...I guess that means I'll to create an arcane spellcaster who wears armor so I can integrate a few more % die rolls per session ;) . Besides, this way there is the added benefit of using those especially "lucky" d20's more often :D .

graydoom

First Post
Agamon said:
I have a d30, too. A friend bought it and gave it to me. No idea what to use it for, aside from randomly determining the day of a month.

I remember someone mentioning that they had a d34. Weird. Have any other non-standard dice? Personally, I think they're pretty cool.

Remove ads