Anyone else miss % dice?

Imperialus

Explorer
yeah, just go pick yourself up a copy of Hackmaster. You'll be rolling D10 000 before you know it, or at least as soon as somebody gets a crit.

graydoom

First Post
nemmerle said:
Looking for a use for the d30?

It's called Mardaluk's Monstrous Meteor of Mayhem, a wild magic spell in the upcoming Aquerra Player's Guide. . .:D
Oooooh! Me want! I like the name :D.

I do miss the feel of the percentile dice. By that I mean the granularity they provide. When running games, I will sometimes convert dramatic die rolls to d100 and roll it that way. One example is when a dying characters rolls his 10% stablization chance. I'll roll that on d100, instead of just a d10 or d20. When I roll for wandering monsters, I usually do it with d100 as well. It's just a personal preference.

I also love d12s, which is why my dwarf fighter PC uses a greataxe!

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Agamon said:
I have a d30, too. A friend bought it and gave it to me. No idea what to use it for, aside from randomly determining the day of a month.

d30s were used in a little known game by the name of Super Squadron (not a bad system, as I recall, although I was only about 13 or 14 when I played it). Never seen them used in any other system.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Imperialus said:
yeah, just go pick yourself up a copy of Hackmaster. You'll be rolling D10 000 before you know it, or at least as soon as somebody gets a crit.

I can beat that. Interstellar Elite Combat goes up to d1,000,000 (thankfully abbreviated as d10^6).

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
I'm glad not to have to use them for things like thief abilities any longer - though I wouldn't have minded if all skills were using d% now; I just want as little different die types as possible (exception: damage).

hong

WotC's bitch
graydoom said:

Yeah, that was the conclusion we came to. It does seem to be pretty consistent, and serves to differentiate between rolls that can be affected and rolls that cannot be affected. More thought was put into that than I thought.

This was also mentioned in the article by Jonathon Tweet in Dragon 274, about how they designed the 3E/d20 rules.

Vaxalon

First Post
Oh..... Oh.... Uhoh!

I can remember playing various %ile based games, where a low number meant a critical hit, but a 00 meant a fumble...

You roll the first die, and it comes up zero. "Oh..." hopefully, you roll the second die. If it comes up one through four, you've got a critical hit... but it comes up zeron. "Oh."

"Uhoh."

Agamon

Adventurer
graydoom said:

I remember someone mentioning that they had a d34. Weird. Have any other non-standard dice? Personally, I think they're pretty cool.

Yeah, my friend has one of those. Srange shape; kinda like a big d10 with more sides, of course, and 2 facets per side, kinda like those crystal caste dice.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
graydoom said:

I always just roll a d10. Takes less time.

Oh, and I've never seen an actual d100. What are they like?

The d100 I have basically resembles a ping pong ball with numbers (1-100) on it.

Remove ads