• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone else only allow core rulebooks

jeffh

Adventurer
Everything's case-by-case with me, but 90% of what my players use comes from the three (not four) core rulebooks. Players have the option of using the Psionics Handbook classes as well, but to date no-one has done so although one player was seriously considering it at one stage.

Some examples of non-core things that have appeared:

* Numerous monsters, some heavily modified by me before actually seeing play. Just because my players largely ignore non-core books doesn't mean I have to!
* A selection of about 120 feats from various sources, mostly WotC splatbooks. I give my players a printout of this, so it's prety much the only non-core resource they actually USE.
* Some variant races players have asked for, if they fit the world.
* The variant Bard and various spells from the Book of Eldritch Might series
* Two homebrew prestige classes

Overall it's a pretty core-rules based game even though I'm quite open to it being otherwise.

Psion

Adventurer
I regulate what I allow, but would feel sort of limited referring only to the core books. (See .sig)

Last edited:

DaveStebbins

First Post
My group rotates between three DMs, so we keep things core only for characters. We'd probably allow more, but with spouses, families, and conflicting schedules, it's tough enough finding time to game, much less hold involved metagame discussions. We only have one player who has expressed an interest in going outside the core rules for character classes and PrCs.

Michael Morris

First Post
JesterPoet said:
I guess first I should ask what you consider "core rulebooks"

and, does anyone else only allow character creation and advancement out of core books? I only allow that in one of my games, and my definition of core is simple: PH & DMG

Only core races, only core classes.

Am I the only one "torturing" my players this way?

Outside of my own material, yes - the players are limited to the core rules. Using material outside the core requires the characters to research (I have house rules for researching new feats).

JesterPoet said:
I guess first I should ask what you consider "core rulebooks"

and, does anyone else only allow character creation and advancement out of core books? I only allow that in one of my games, and my definition of core is simple: PH & DMG

Only core races, only core classes.

Am I the only one "torturing" my players this way?

my definition of core is quite simple.everything in the SRD,PHB,DMG and MM.which is pretty much what the makers of d20 think anywho.

and yes your tortureing them,give them psions! :]

i of course cant claim to play anything core,i did rewrite the SRD to my likeing.GOODBYE SAVE OR DIES!GOOD BYE 9th LEVEL SPELLS!

Last edited:

JesterPoet

First Post
I totally forgot about this thread, and my notify isn't working :)

Thanks for the info from all of you. I should expand my original post to say that I do allow non-core materials but they have to be approved by me, and approval may take time. Because of that, many of my players don't even bother.

I'm running Midnight and Old School Cthulhu right now, though, so it doesn't really apply anyway.

:)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads