• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) So what happened to the new and classic campaign settings? (and what's next?)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
There have been crickets on the two new settings. With Winninger's departure and the OGL blow up, they may be gone. Or maybe Wizards is toiling away at one or both of them for release after the anniversary?
Yeah, I suspect we won't have a good idea of what's happening until the 2025 line-up is released, and the accompanying interview. It could definitely go either way.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Adding a setting that is more approachable to the youth doesn't mean it's the only setting.
Greyhawk will be in the DMG. Forgotten Realms will still be the Sword Coast and places sometimes not forgotten.

A new setting doesn't eliminate things that already exist.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I didn’t say any of that so I think your annoyance is a little misplaced.

I go back to my original statement - the only thing I’ve said, really. I’ve seen a few people posting about what they think kids want out of D&D as if it must automatically be something different than what it currently does, and I’m not sure that is true.
Yeah, just look at tje Greyhawk speed in that new Setting lore book: it has a Tabaxi character and generally looks like something from my daughter's fantasy comics.

Not clear to me why creating a new generic Setting would be more desirable than refreshing the existing generic Settings as they seem to be doing.

TiQuinn

Yeah, just look at tje Greyhawk speed in that new Setting lore book: it has a Tabaxi character and generally looks like something from my daughter's fantasy comics.

Not clear to me why creating a new generic Setting would be more desirable than refreshing the existing generic Settings as they seem to be doing.

I guess in a nutshell it comes down to why do we think there’s a problem with connecting with kids in the first place, and also why do we think that’s solved through a new setting?

Hasbro doesn't want to create new IPs/franchises to sell more TTRPG sourcebooks, but for future multimedia projects.

And they want to be a brand for all audiences, since the child-frienly Witchlight toward the mature Ravenloft or Dark Sun ( fantasy Mad Max or World of Gor with superpowers?)

D&D is not only the TTRPG, but also the "vehicle" to introduce other subfranchises.

I wouldn't be to be impossible a D&D mash-up version of franchises by other companies, or even no-fantasy IPs, For example the A-Team in Eberron. There are lots of IPs fallen into the oblivion and thanks this fool idea these could enjoy a second oportunity. Why not Gallactica in Spelljammer? Or C.O.P.S in New Capena.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads