• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone else think 4th Ed is to combat WoW?

SHARK

First Post
ReeboKesh said:
I think it is. I think Wizards saw World or Warcraft quickly rising in popularity and D&D players moving away in droves so they decided this new edition would reflect elements that WoW has already e.g. more abilities per level, 'focused roles' for classes... heck even an online character generator that creates a portrait of you character!
What do you guys think?
Reebo

Greetings!

Reebo--you have double posted this thread, my friend. The other thread of yours--with the same title--has many more responses to your topic. :)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Dr. Talos

First Post
As much as I dislike WoW there are a couple elements/ideas that would not be a bad thing to include in D&D. Everybody acts like things cannot or should not influence one another. Just as WoW was heavily influenced by Tolkien/Warhammer/D&D (and achieved great success with that formula), there is no harm in D&D being influenced by WoW. Just as 3E had influences from Diablo and Rolemaster, 4E will include influences from other successful and/or innovative sources. It is part of the "flattening" of the world as Thomas Friedman would put it.

Khairn

First Post
Combat WoW ? No.

Take advantage of WoW by creating a game that has a familiar style and feel to MMORPG's? Oh hell yes.

Simplifying it so it appears similar to the twich attacks and casting of many MMORPG's seems the clearest example.

The comment that a wizard will never run out of magic missle's to cast is a prime example. Just Hot key MM to you #1 key and fire away until the mob is dead. Rinse and repeat.

Plenty reason for online aspect even without WoW

Who can say for certain? But I think there are plenty of reasons to do all of this online stuff even if there were nothing like WoW out there. Consider:

• Many players in general, and many old-timers in particular, can't get together in person with their gaming group as often as they would like, if at all. A online tabletop means more people playing who otherwise would like to but can't.
  • Social networking has pervaded so many areas of people's lives, from pictures to finding friends, to sharing music. It's only logical that it be used as a way to find and interact with fellow gamers, too.
  • Just as you have a profile and avatars on most social networking sites, it's obvious that many would want the capability to create a virtual mini to represent their character(s). This clearly has an appeal even if you never intend to use the online tool for visualizing combats.
  • No matter how much 4th ed may simplify character creation, if it really does, D&D characters are very complex and building them with an online tool can be a great timesaver, plus a way to store that information that's as portable as your internet connection. You can go to a friend's house to game and work on it there just as you can at home. I assume this to be the case, mind you.
I'm sure there are even more reasons, but you catch my drift. The MMORPG factor aside, this is an age in which people expect online capabilities even for a completely paper and dice game. You may not personally feel that way, but my prediction is that the majority of those who think they have no need for or interest in these resources but are willing to give it a try will in due time find it nigh indispensable.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Atlatl Jones said:
Not really. They're not even in the same market. They're completely different beasties. It's like asking whether a new novel line with combat a TV show.
I concur.

I know a number of WoW players who like the virtual tabletop idea and will likely play 4E in addition to WoW, though.

And "focused roles in WoW?" Holy crap, you guys should have seen EQ1 if you think WoW's generalist classes -- where everyone can pretty much pitch in on almost every role -- are focused. Wizards in EQ1 can do (or could, when I quit, three years ago) two things: damage and teleport.

Jack99

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I concur.

I know a number of WoW players who like the virtual tabletop idea and will likely play 4E in addition to WoW, though.

And "focused roles in WoW?" Holy crap, you guys should have seen EQ1 if you think WoW's generalist classes -- where everyone can pretty much pitch in on almost every role -- are focused. Wizards in EQ1 can do (or could, when I quit, three years ago) two things: damage and teleport.

Aye EQ was and is a thousand times more generalist than WoW. In Wow, each class had two or three roles they could fill out, depending on their spec (sorta like retrainable feats). In EQ, very few classes had more than one role they were able to fill out.

Anyway, why is it WotC would need to combat WoW? Do we know for sure that DnD is on the decline? Are sales plummeting? If yes, where do we get that kind of knowledge?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads