Mutants and Masterminds 3e

first question - when using 2 powers in the linked extra, if my pl cap is 5 meaning combined 10 of attack and effect and I have 5 attack, and effect 5 on both powers, is that valid or do I need to reduce the effect level down so that the total combined effect is 5 to stay under cap?
The accuracy+effect cap imposed by your PL is treated separately for each linked power, so in your example you can have a +5 attack and a +5 effect on each power. No need to lower the effect because of the cap there.

A published example would be Skyjacker (Rogues Gallery p. 114) whose "Melting Ray" has +12 accuracy, Close Damage 10 Penetrating 2 Linked with Weaken Toughness 10, keeping each of the Linked effects right at his PL11 cap: +12 accuracy, +10 effect = 22 total.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The accuracy+effect cap imposed by your PL is treated separately for each linked power, so in your example you can have a +5 attack and a +5 effect on each power. No need to lower the effect because of the cap there.

A published example would be Skyjacker (Rogues Gallery p. 114) whose "Melting Ray" has +12 accuracy, Close Damage 10 Penetrating 2 Linked with Weaken Toughness 10, keeping each of the Linked effects right at his PL11 cap: +12 accuracy, +10 effect = 22 total.
Thanks!

FrogReaver

Next question - secondary effect. Let’s say I hit an opponent on turn 1. I attack and miss on turn 2. Does the secondary effect force a resistance roll this turn or not?

FrogReaver

Rude.
It is equal or under, not under.
Indeed. Yet despite my incorrect phrasing, my question wasn’t whether attack + effect can be equal to pl cap x2. My question was about how the effect for the link extra is calculated.

My issue wasn’t with the slight correction, even though it was something I already understood and just didn’t phrase correctly, my issue was with the only commenting on that without any attempt to answer the actual question and then calling me rude for asking others for actual answers when you didn’t provide one.

Thomas Shey

Legend
My opinion after using it for years was that it was an excellent character generation system attached to a set of mechanics that unfortunately made most combat decisions illusory in their value.

I’m curious how long combats usually go.
Usually isn't really a thing IMO. Any single hit can knock you out or have no effect. So any NPC can get knocked out on the first punch or just no sale twenty hits in a role.

And character builds can vary that widely. It's not too hard to have someone who can mow down a dozen minions at a time along side someone who hits like a wet noodle.

Theory of Games

Disaffected Game Warrior
Next question - secondary effect. Let’s say I hit an opponent on turn 1. I attack and miss on turn 2. Does the secondary effect force a resistance roll this turn or not?
Any secondary effect linked to the 1st attack that hit forces a resistance check on the 2nd round, yeah.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Indeed. Yet despite my incorrect phrasing, my question wasn’t whether attack + effect can be equal to pl cap x2. My question was about how the effect for the link extra is calculated.

My issue wasn’t with the slight correction, even though it was something I already understood and just didn’t phrase correctly, my issue was with the only commenting on that without any attempt to answer the actual question and then calling me rude for asking others for actual answers when you didn’t provide one.
You were rude. Or at least it appeared so to me (an outside observer). You didn't get the answer you were looking for so rather than asking for clarification, you immediately dismissed @Reynard 's response and called it "whatever this is" to other people, as though Reynard's answer was meaningless and wasn't even worth commenting on. Had you actually responded back to them and said that they might have misunderstood what you were actually looking for and given them a chance to clarify... it wouldn't have appeared that way.

Now you might not have realized how you came off with your post, but even I (who was just flipping through the thread) read your response and thought "Wow, that was a little harsh." They tried answering what they thought you were asking for and you blew them off and went to everyone else for an answer instead. Again, maybe not your intention... but that's how it appeared to me.

Last edited:

Remove ads