• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone else think 4th Ed is to combat WoW?

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Yes.

Originally Posted by skeptic
I heard James Wyatt or Andy Collins saying that the wizard's role in combat is a controller, which means he try to control the battefield.

In Wow, there are four roles: Tank, DPS, healer, and CC or crowd control.

Jack99

Adventurer
JRRNeiklot said:
Yes.

I heard James Wyatt or Andy Collins saying that the wizard's role in combat is a controller, which means he try to control the battefield.

Calling the wizard a controller is hardly their idea. On the CharOp boards, they have been using that term for ages. Not to mention in several WoTC books. And on other boards. Hell, I have used to term since the early 90's.

Get this. The wizards in DnD was a controller before WoW. Any spell that incapacitates the enemy or slows him down makes you able to control the battlefield makes you a controller. Color Spray, Sleep, Web, Grease, etc etc etc... So if anything, the term crowd control that is indeed used in WoW (originally in EQ too, was the enchanter back then) was inspired from DnD. Sure as hell wasnt the other way around.

HeyJoe

First Post
I play WoW and D&D. They are completely different, however it should be noted that Azeroth (the setting for WoW) started off as an AD&D campaign world.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Jack99 said:
Get this. The wizards in DnD was a controller before WoW. Any spell that incapacitates the enemy or slows him down makes you able to control the battlefield makes you a controller. Color Spray, Sleep, Web, Grease, etc etc etc... So if anything, the term crowd control that is indeed used in WoW (originally in EQ too, was the enchanter back then) was inspired from DnD. Sure as hell wasnt the other way around.
QFT.

Additionally, the roles "Tank, DPS, healer, and CC or crowd control" also translate to wargames pretty well - these are more or less basic tactic classification of units.

And... what's the problem with WoW-influence? WoW is heavily influenced by D&D - it's a natural thing, that D&D also gets ideas from WoW, because their game design is quite good. Take the good bits, leave the unwanted bits out - sounds like a deal to me.

About "combatting" WoW - these games fill a very different niche. Sure, there is overlap - the group that only wants to do hack&slash, but there is also overlap with Warhammer (those who enjoy the tactical aspects) and White Wolf-games (those who want storytelling).

D&D was a strange beast between more focused games for years! WoW is a threat no greater than Warhammer or the White Wolf-systems (not to mention, that many players play D&D AND one of these games).

Cheers, LT.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
well lets look at it like this, WOW takes alot from d&d. Why it has been so successful is that it gives a similar feeling to d&d, but without direct social interaction and probably less work to maintian. many many people that could play d&d or even want to play d&d are limited to WOW because they may not know anyone else who also plays d&d or cant travel, are lazy ect..

WOW is digging hard into the profits of d&d. I don't think blizard is actively doing this or even intended to do this.

d&d is the life blood of fantasy games (or was), even if its not as popular as wow, it empowers it.

So game systems aside, d&d will be alot like WOW in that you can hook up with people on the internet and play a fantasy game together. I don't know about the game system itself. I think it will be stream lined for online play, but i dont know how much it will be like WOW.

Last edited:

WingOver

First Post
Combat (as directly compete with)? No.

I believe they learned from WoW's revenue model and are trying to get a piece of the action.

It all boils down to whether gamers feel that WOTC's online initiative adds value to the game. If it does, then it will succeed.

Destil

Explorer
JRRNeiklot said:
Yes.

This has been true since 3e gave every monster massive con bonuses but didn't really up the damage of wizard spells (melee types, on the other hand, got a rather good damage upgrade with feats and more universal str bonuses).

Just look at against the giants. In the original module a 9th level wizard could drop a whole room of giants with a lucky fireball... good luck doing that in 3E.

Now web or slow, on the other hand...

RigaMortus2

First Post
HeyJoe said:
I play WoW and D&D. They are completely different, however it should be noted that Azeroth (the setting for WoW) started off as an AD&D campaign world.

Not that I don't beleive you, but I have never heard about that. Do you have a link or some sort of proof that shows Azeroth was an AD&D campaign world? I am curious....

Remove ads