• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Anyone else view this character broken?

meien

Explorer
Ah gotcha. I didn't pay enough attention to the Kensai part. I figured I was off on something and decided to ask.

I like the idea of going Samsaran for it. Cool race.

Yeah a well made Druid is gross. My GM who hated dealing with the Swashbuckler is really bad for making grossly powerful druids when he's playing instead of GMing. And we're not even the worst at making nasty characters in our group. So my swashbuckler didn't really stand out as over powered to the rest of the players, just as having an annoying feature to the GM.

I agree that it's a matter of perspective too. The gnome sounds fun but not put together well. Hopefully the player is having fun with it and it's just the GM who is having the issue. It's fairly easy for a GM to modify his tactics/challenges to mess with players and add a little extra something. It's not quite as easy to down play yourself if multiple people at the table aren't having fun with you.

To be fair, I rolled well with the parry attempts (only getting one off per round thanks to no combat reflexes) and hit with every riposte attempt, so was very hard to hit, and so did a bit of damage in turns it wasn't mine.
Doesn't seem broken to me, although I am not very familiar with swashbuckler. I could certainly come up with plenty of more powerful characters if I wanted to, and I expect you could too, but it seems like your DM couldn't.

If the parry thing is a problem, then since apparently you can only do it once per round (at the moment ...) then couldn't the DM simply have the bad guys gang up on you? If a thug is foolish enough to challenge a duellist to a one-on-one duel, he can't complain if the duellist wins.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Ah gotcha. I didn't pay enough attention to the Kensai part. I figured I was off on something and decided to ask.

I like the idea of going Samsaran for it. Cool race.

Yeah a well made Druid is gross. My GM who hated dealing with the Swashbuckler is really bad for making grossly powerful druids when he's playing instead of GMing. And we're not even the worst at making nasty characters in our group. So my swashbuckler didn't really stand out as over powered to the rest of the players, just as having an annoying feature to the GM.

I agree that it's a matter of perspective too. The gnome sounds fun but not put together well. Hopefully the player is having fun with it and it's just the GM who is having the issue. It's fairly easy for a GM to modify his tactics/challenges to mess with players and add a little extra something. It's not quite as easy to down play yourself if multiple people at the table aren't having fun with you.

Samsaran is an okay race, it was more of a workaround because I was trying to add Hexer to my idea, but sadly the single ability that Hexer replaces is also replaced by like every single archetype, which is frustrating, so I used it to gain Ill Omen and Bestow Curse also to my spell list. Taking the Accursed Critical, so when I crit, [which I should be doing a lot with a crit range of 15-20] I get to cast Bestow Curse for free. :)

As for the DM, I agree it sometimes is easy to modify encounters, but sometimes it's not, especially if he's doing a prewritten adventure.

I wonder if the OP ever got the situation resolved.

Celebrim

Legend
Well, my opinion doesn't matter, but I pride myself on playing a fairly low powered game and your character could have fit in just fine in my campaign at 2nd level without wrecking anything. I suspect you'll radically diverge in power level at higher level from what I'm comfortable with (as most of 3.X does), but overall I don't see a lot here that significantly beyond the ability of a straight forward sword and board fighter with 18 strength, and damage wise this looks inferior to the nova of a typical two-handed weapon wielding barbarian. And your durability really isn't that high for a martial focused character.

Compared to the PCs at 2nd level, you would have been about 3rd in offensive capability (behind the sorcerer and the fanatic), and 3rd in defensive capability (behind the champion and the rogue/hunter). And you don't seem to offer a lot of utility outside of combat, so I thinking, "No, you aren't OP."

In particular, no melee build that does less than 'infinite' damage (say an average over 20 per round at 2nd level) and doesn't steal actions from opponents is particularly broken IMO. Melee builds just have too many counters, and some of them are hard counters unless the player spends resources to deal with them.

Again, this is just personal preference, but I prefer a party to have at least one power gamer in it. The advantage for me as a DM is that I can be a little looser about what I throw at the party, knowing that the power gamer can pick up the slack from the players with more social or story goals. This helps move the social and story goals along as well, so everything is good, particularly if there remains significant out of combat roles the power gamer can't easily fill.

Last edited:

mr_outsidevoice

First Post
well, you will lose some Kensai stuff for wearing armor. And you suffer spell failure in armor because of Kensai Archetype
that is a balance that must be minded.the fact you need a good Dex and Int plus a non-suck Cha means you lack in other stats.
Also a bit of a limited range pony so The DM can throw in a balance of encounters that an agile fighter is not the best choice.

Remove ads