D&D 5E Pre gens (a look into my mind)

So I have had a lot of arguments about balance and game design for the last few months... but I am going to a writers con this summer and I always throw together a quick 1ish shot adventure (Con is 4 days so sometimes we play 2 nights). 3/4 of the time the adventure never gets going because the players interact and cause a whole different adventure... so I figured I would post the pregens I am working on.

1st I am using the default array [15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8]

2nd I am giving home brew abilities to non casters.

3rd I am giving people mostly average hp but the 3 front line combatants are getting better then average.

4th casters are not getting magic items.

so here is what I have (I will list only homebrew mechancs)

teifling Barbarian (zeolite) 10 (10d12+40) 125hp AC 16 Move 40ft
18 Str +4 14 Dex +2 18 Con +4
8 Int -1 11 Wis - 12 Cha +1
Saves str +8 con +8 wis +4
2ASI
You are a warrior for the light… chaos to serve order

Hellish Resistance-you always have resistance to fire, when you are raging this becomes immunity.

Legacy of Divine Devils- once per day you can cast the shield spell, and once per short rest you can cast healing word at 5th level (5d4+1 hp). If someone successfully counter spells either effect they take 10 psychic damage.

Quick rest- once per long rest you can spend a minute to gain the benefits of a short rest.

Fire in the blood- as an action you can deal 1d6 slashing damage to yourself that can not be negated ot reduced. If you do the weapon you used to deal the damage will deal 1d6 fire damage on all hits and an additional 1d10 fire on a crit for 1 hour. (if a weapon already deals fire, or if it deals cold damage this effect can not be used on it)

Survivor- When you start your turn with 63 or less hp, but more than 0hp you regain 5hp. You also have advantage on all death saves.

Aasimar Sorcerer/Warlock (divine soul/fey/chain) 7/3 (10d8+20) 72hp AC 14 Move 30ft
10 Str - 12 Dex +1 10 Con -
14 Int +2 14 Wis +2 19 Cha +4
Saves str +5 dex+6 con +5 int +7 wis +7 cha +9
ASI
You are an agent of balance, order, chaos, light and darkness.
Spell slots: 2 2nd level per short rest AND long rest 4/3/3/1
Cantrips: eldritch blast, blade ward, Guidance, resistance, spare the dying, prestidigitation, thaumaturgy
Spells: Cure wounds, Healing Words, Sanctuary, Guiding Bolt, comprehend languages, cause fear, hellish rebuke, faeroe fire, sleep
Aid, lesser restoration, shadow blade, calm emotions, phantasmal force
Revivify, Haste
Death ward
Hexborn Warlock (infernal/tome) 10 (10d8) 54hp AC 11
10 Str - 12 Dex +1 16 Con +3
9 Int -1 14 Wis +2 18 Cha +4
Saves int +3 wis +6 cha +8
Fey touched, shadow touched
You are the product of a demon trying to use a HAG to be reborn on the prime…you don't know what you are really
Spell slots: 2 5th level per short rest
Cantrips: Infestation, Mind Sliver, Sword burst, toll the dead, word of radiance, druid craft, thaumaturgy
Spells: Hex, Hellish Rebuke, burning hands, command, detect magic, false life
Crown of madness, blind/deaf, scorching ray, misty step, invisibility
Fly, Magic Circle, Vampric touch, fireball, stinking cloud
Banishment, Dimension Door, fire shield, wall of fire
Enervation, far step, flame strike, hallow
Reborn Owelin Warlock/Paliden (hexblade/blade/oath of ven) 5/5 (5d8+5d10+20) 90hp AC18 move and fly 30ft
14 Str +2 10 Dex - 15 Con +2
12 Int +1 10 Wis - 18 Cha +4
Saves con +4 wis +4 cha +8
Great weapon master +1ASI
You were once a holy knight, you were once a queen, you were once a pirate, you are now reborn again trying to find who you are now.
Spell slots: 2 3rd level per short rest AND long rest 4/2
Spells: Expeditious retreat, Hex, divine favor, heroism, shield, wrathful smite bane, hunters mark
Hold person, Misty Step, suggestion, aid. Lesser restoration, zone of truth, blur branding smite
Remove curse, blink, elemental weapon,

Brutal Dive- When you fly 10 or more feet before you make an attack you deal +1 damage per 10ft you moved. If you crit when you have moved with your fly speed 20ft or more you also deal 2d10 extra damage.
V Human Sorcerer (Aberant Mind) 10 (10d8+10) 59hp AC 10
10 Str - 8 Dex -1 12 Con +1
14 Int +2 16 Wis +3 20 Cha +5
Saves con +5 cha +9
Telekentic +1ASI
You are life, fire and rebirth incarnate, and maybe one of the most powerful minds ever born

Cantrips: Mindsliver, Mage hand* Control flames, Create bonfires. Fire bolt, friends, message, minor illusion
Spells: Absorb Elements, charm person, arms of hadar, dissonat whispers
Crown of Madness, Scorching Ray, calm emotions, detect thoughts
Clairvoyance, counterspell, frieball hunger of hadar, sending
Ego Whip, fire shield, black tentacles
Animate object. Dominate person, hold monster, telapathic bond, telekinesiss

Human Fighter/Rogue/Monk (assassin/Shadow) 2/5/3 (2d10+8d8+20) 87hp AC 19
14 Str +2 16 Dex +3 14 Con +2
12 Int +1 16 Wis +3 10 Cha -
Saves str +6 dex +7 con +6 int +5 wis +7 cha +4
Asi
You are too old for this naughty word… but you also feel you have nothing but going from mission to mission

Smoke bombs (7)- as a bonus action choose a location within 30ft of you can create a 10ftx10ft cloud of obscuring smoke for 1 round it is Heavily Obscured(imposes the affects of the blinded condition, which are auto failure of any check requiring sight, and advantage to attack you and disadvantage on your attacks), and then for 2 rounds after that it is lightly Obscured(It imposes disadvantage on Wisdom(perception) (not attacks) if you don't have a way around it.)

Caltrips (10 sets)- as a bonus action drop them in an adjacent 10ft sq and make it hazardous terrain anyone walking through it is at half speed and must make a Dex save Dc12 or take 1d4 damage per 5ft traveled.

Enhanced Mobility- You can spend a Ki pt to add +20ft to your move and triple your jump distances for 1 minute.

Deflect Attack- as a reaction when you take damage you can spend a Ki pt to reduce the damage by 1d10+5, if the attack was from a ranged weapon and you have a free hand you can catch this and throw it back as a Dex attack with a 20/60 range.

Slow fall- you treat all falls as 25ft less for damage

Kip up- you can stand from prone for 5ft of movement instead of the normal 1/2 movement cost.

Improved Cunning Action- as a bonus action you can take the Aim, Dash, Dodge, Disengage, or hide action.
half elf rogue (assassin) 10 (10d8+20) 85hp AC 18
10 Str - 20 Dex +5 15 Con +2
14 Int +2 13 Wis +1 10 Cha -
Saves: dex +9 Int +6
Fighting Initiate(dueling) +2asi
You were born to kill…and have decided you will no longer be someone else's weapon

Smoke bombs (2)- as a bonus action choose a location within 30ft of you can create a 10ftx10ft cloud of obscuring smoke for 1 round it is Heavily Obscured(imposes the affects of the blinded condition, which are auto failure of any check requiring sight, and advantage to attack you and disadvantage on your attacks), and then for 2 rounds after that it is lightly Obscured(It imposes disadvantage on Wisdom(perception) (not attacks) if you don't have a way around it.)

Bag of Marbles (2 sets)- as a bonus action drop them in an adjacent 10ft sq and make it hazardous terrain, anyone walking through it is at half speed and must make a Dex save Dc12 or fall prone.

Tanglefoot Bag (2)- as an action choose a 10x10ft area within 30ft and it becomes hazardous terrain, anyone walking through it is at half spped and must make a Dex save DC 12 or become stuck in it.

Alchemical fire (3)- as an action throw it at a target within 30ft, target takes 3d6 fire damage and can make a dex save dc12 for half. If they fail the save they take 1d6 at the start of every one of your turns but can then make another dex save to end the ongoing fire.

Cantrip (Eldritch blast)- You can cast eldritch blast with your int as casting stat (and this can deliver a sneak attack if you are attacking from hiding)

Dread Ambusher- on the first round of all combats you increase your speed by 10ft, and if you miss with all of your attacks in that round, at the end of your turn deal 1d8+1 psychic damage to the targets you missed.

Combat Mastery: Any time you do not have advantage on your attacks you can choose to make 2 melee attacks instead of 1. If both attacks hit the same target you gain 10 temp hp

Horde Breaker: once on each turn when you take an attack action against a target, you can make another attack against another creature in range.

now the melee characters all get +2 weapons and the fighter/monk rogue gets bracers of armor and cloak of protection, the rogue gets +1 studded leather
the 3 non casters (barbarian, rogue and fighter/rogue/monk) all get extra profs too... each get 4 saves and the fighter/rogue/monk gets all 6, and each gets 2 more skills then normal.

now IF they get into the story the town they are in is about to be attacked by an undead hoard lead by a death knight with ties to 4 of the 7 of them and the 3 that DON'T have ties to the DK have ties to other players and all but 1 of them have ties to the town...

I expect if the players all use there resources to the max, the DK doesn't stand a chance...

BUT they may split the party, we may end up with only 5 players, they may end up with 5 players AND split the party...

I still expect the noncasters to be the last choices.

Now there are a dozen possible players, (and one loved my fighter 3 years ago since I based her on a 4e warlord) and I wont know for sure who is free Friday night until Friday night. I might even get a new player (although that has never happened) because the DM who used to run games told me he did twice in his 12 years of running get new players

Remove ads