Anyone get the SL DM's Screen?

d20Dwarf

Explorer
I must say I like the convention of describing the power level of a module in total character levels rather than character level. I don't think it makes a huge difference, but I'm sick of d20 being so modularized. Everything is too clean, it all has a system...I don't think that's good for D&D. It needs to be a little messy, otherwise I'll just play Hero system. :)

Glyfair

Explorer
d20Dwarf said:
I must say I like the convention of describing the power level of a module in total character levels rather than character level. I don't think it makes a huge difference, but I'm sick of d20 being so modularized. Everything is too clean, it all has a system...I don't think that's good for D&D. It needs to be a little messy, otherwise I'll just play Hero system. :)

I have to admit, that's the only thing I hate about this. It's really of no use to me. Even though the standard method has it's flaws, I think this has many more. I hated it when 2nd Edition used it, and I still do.

For example, "for a total character levels of 15-20." Now, if you use the WotC "standard party" of 4 characters they should probably be 4th or 5th level. So, 16 first level characters should be able to tackle it (I know it's sorta silly, but I've run groups of 12 players once upon a time). Will a single 18th level character find it challenging?

I would prefer a general suggestion for a standard group. For example, "A group of 6 3rd level characters would be appropriate" or something similiar. Give me a baseline group, and I'll adjust it to mine. Total character levels can just fall apart in too many normal variations that it's really meaningless.

Still, I consider the screen to be the best value for my money of all 3rd edition/d20 products, excluding free products. A very useful screen plus two excellent adventures that work both as breaks in a normal storyline and as springboards for new storylines.

Glyfair of Glamis

Last edited:

Orcus

First Post
I actually playtested the adventures in a unique way: I ran them online on the SSS Fangsfall chat. It was a blast. In fact, Bill and I (and some other Necro writers) use the chat to playtest things all the time. It is a great way to get quick groups together and get very diverse approaches to the same problems.

Clark

Orcus

First Post
Let me know when anyone runs Kadum's Horn or Shrine of Madness. each is very differnt from the other. I would love to hear feedback.

Clark

SSS-Druid

First Post
Actually, I'm planning on kicking off a campaign with the Shrine of Madness, basing it out of Dosath (from Kadum's Horn) and sending them into the Sorporatra Swamp, then following up with (of course) Kadum's Horn. :)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Fiery James

First Post
SSS family

Just got my copy today!

One of the things that I like best about it are the names on the credits page. They seem to represent members of "the family."

All the regulars at Sword & Sorcery Studios, our S&S mates!

Editor Mike Johnstone is one of the key members of Fiery Dragon, and doing a lot of editing lately for Sword & Sorcery as well.

Clark is, of course, our chum from Necromancer Games.

And Kieran Yanner was the very first freelance artist that Fiery Dragon used, before he was transported around the world and taken over by White Wolf!

It's just nice to see a lot of familiar names, that's all!

-James

Remove ads