Anyone got a good Fighter/Mage build?

two

First Post
Pure Bard

Don't overlook a pure bard.

Full caster levels is a big deal; Bard 10 dispels magic just as well as the wiz10.

Bard song can go a long way to overcoming the 3/4 BAB, particularly if you get feats/items/etc. that customize the inspire courage bonus (increases the bonus by +1/+1 for the song a la bone horn from S&S, feats that make starting a bard song a free action, etc.).

The limited spells and spell selection kinda sucks, but you can't get everything. If you want, Use Magic Device some scrolls or wands.

Point is, it's a very easy build. 3/4 BAB. Full caster progression. Good class abilities. Cast (bard) spells in light armor without trouble. Some OK weapons.

It's pretty easy to make a good fighter-mage archer out of a bard. A fighter-mage melee combatant is tougher, but Bards do get a lot of excellent buff spells (mirror image, alter self, improved invis, etc.). d6 hit points requires excellent con, however. Perhaps a dwarven melee bard? Just keep Charisma high enough to cast spells; don't worry about the dc's. The spells are all for buffing/healing.

Just an idea. It might be fun to create a "rough-n-nasty" melee bard just to shock people.

Rystil Arden

First Post
two said:
Don't overlook a pure bard.

Full caster levels is a big deal; Bard 10 dispels magic just as well as the wiz10.

Bard song can go a long way to overcoming the 3/4 BAB, particularly if you get feats/items/etc. that customize the inspire courage bonus (increases the bonus by +1/+1 for the song a la bone horn from S&S, feats that make starting a bard song a free action, etc.).

The limited spells and spell selection kinda sucks, but you can't get everything. If you want, Use Magic Device some scrolls or wands.

Point is, it's a very easy build. 3/4 BAB. Full caster progression. Good class abilities. Cast (bard) spells in light armor without trouble. Some OK weapons.

It's pretty easy to make a good fighter-mage archer out of a bard. A fighter-mage melee combatant is tougher, but Bards do get a lot of excellent buff spells (mirror image, alter self, improved invis, etc.). d6 hit points requires excellent con, however. Perhaps a dwarven melee bard? Just keep Charisma high enough to cast spells; don't worry about the dc's. The spells are all for buffing/healing.

Just an idea. It might be fun to create a "rough-n-nasty" melee bard just to shock people.
You can always try this, but unfortunately for bards, most other builds will be better than the straight bard at combat. This is partially because so many of the bard's best spells are social-based enchantment or illusion.

RigaMortus

Explorer
You might want to incorporate Havoc Mage in there as well. That gives you the ability to make a single attack AND cast a spell all in one turn (as a full round action). Great for True Strike + Power Attacking :)

Eldragon

First Post
For me, a good Fighter-Mage is not about maximizing class skills and feats, but taking advantage of great Feat/Spell combos that other classes have a hard time pulling off. Every time I build a fighter-mage character, I ask myself, what kind of crazy feat-spell combos can this character do?

For Example....

Whirlwind attack is great, but Whirlwind attack while polymorphed into a treant is better! 15 foot reach, and you get to attack every enemy within reach at full BAB.

Thanee

First Post
I like the idea of a Barbarian/Wizard/Eldritch Knight. While that is certainly a rather weird combination (as opposed to Barbarian/Sorcerer, for example), tho it does offer some nice roleplaying opportunities (even small stuff like thinking about a proper "barbarian spellbook"), the Wizard is better suited for such multiclassing in general and Arcane Strike will be a very useful asset, since you can then "spontaneously convert" prepared spells, which are of little use in a given situation, into something useful. This should combine rather well in effect. :)

Bye
Thanee

two

First Post
I was curious about a Melee Bard

So I quickly made one up. It's unrefined, and I didn't buy much equipment, but it might give somebody else a base for how to proceed. I don't claim it's particularly powerful, just OK.

I decided to use the longsword 2 handed (with weapon focus) because 1d8+2 is better than a feat wasted on a bigger sword (to hit turned into damage via power attack).

Dwarven Bard Build

30 point buy

Dwarven 10th level Bard: Strength 20 (10 points +2 level ups +2 item), Dex: 14 (6 points), Con 20 (10 points +2 race +2 item), Wis 8 (0 points), Int 8 (0 points), Ch 14 (4 points +2 item).

Levels: Bard10

Feats: Power Attack; Weapon Focus (Longsword); Improved Toughness; Improved Bard Song (custom feat) or Cleave

Base Movement: 30’/round

Hit Points: 10 + 9*9 = 91 + IToughness (10) = 101

To hit: +5 (strength) +7 (BAB) + 1 (focus) + 2 (magic) = +15
After bone horn: +18 / +13 to hit

Damage: (Always uses longsword 2 handed) 1d8 + 7 (str) + 2 (magic) = 1d8 + 9
After bone horn; 1d8 + 12

Base Saves: 3/7/7 (Fort/Ref/Will) so total is +8/+9/+6 with stats (Dwarven bonuses not added)

AC: +2 Mithral Breast Plate (+7) +2 (dex) = 19
AC = 25 when in Troglodyte form

Equipment: +2 Charisma item, +2 Strength item, +2 Con item, +2 Longsword, other stuff as money permits

Abilities
1. Inspire Greatness (+2/+2) is (+3/+3) when using the bone horn with no save bonuses (bone horn in song & silence)
2. Other Bard class abilities
3. Dwarven abilities

Spells: (4/4/2) per day known is 4/4/4
1st level: CLW, Feather Fall, Grease, XXX
2nd level: Alter Self, Mirror Image, Glitterdust, Silence
3rd level: Dispel Magic, Haste, Gaseous Form, Blink

CONCEPT:
The Dwarven bard spends 1 round (MAX) buffing before each battle. Hopefully, your GM will allow an “improved bard song” feat that allows the bard to start inspiring courage as a free action; this is well within the feat power range granted to other classes (casting while in animal form for druids, divine metamagic for clerics, etc.). If this feat is available, 1 round buffing time is enough; as a MEA put bone hone to lips, blow, inspire courage as a free action, drop bone horn, cast buffing spell (often mirror image). Then wade into battle.

A dwarven bard has excellent saves, good con offsetting the bad fort saves some.

Mirror Image negates the disadvantage of a low AC when using a weapon with 2 hands. Unless your opponent has true seeing or whirwind attack, you are safe. The Dwarf bard always uses the longsword with 2 hands, and often burns his “bard bonuses” to hit to grant better damage.

For example, +3/+3 to hit/damage turns into +0/+9 damage after power attacking for 3.

This puts the dwarf’s output at +15/+10 to hit, for 1d8 + 21 damage per hit.
At 10th level, +15 is just barely adequate "to hit," not great, but the damage output is very solid (+21). A Fighter10 is doing more damage and hitting more often, of course, but this Bard is no slouch. Hit points are good as well (101). All in all, a reasonably capable melee tank type. If you want to hit more for less damage, drop the power attack to zero.

This Dwarven Bard can also use long-lasting Alter Self (100 min. per casting) to go into Troglodyte form and gain +6 natural bonus to AC. Giving a buffed AC of 25 – this without deflection or other bonuses. That’s good for a 2-handed weapon user. Could buy magic items to get this to 30 with some effort I suppose. Use buckler defense feat thing and use a +2 buckler for more AC if desired.

Of course Spell DC’s are terribly low, that’s why there are no attack spells. He’s a melee bard, not a spell slinger. Next level he gets level 4 spells; Freedom of Movement and Dimension Door are the biggies here!

At some point buy a +4 to Charisma item, perhaps at Bard level 12 or 13.

Ok back to real work.

Remove ads