• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone know how concealment works?

Valesin

First Post
I have seen a couple of references to 'concealment' in the 4e lite rules being posted. For example, being invisible grants 'conceal 11 against attackers that cannot see it.' The warlock summary also mentions concealment:

Shadow Walk (move 3+ squares away on your turn, gain concealment until the end of your next turn).

When we ran a 4e test combat this week, we treated the Warlock's concealment just like it is in 3.5 (20% miss chance). However, the description of invisibility suggests that there is a different mechanic for concealment. It looks like an attacker just needs to get an 11 or better on a d20 to hit an invisible opponent, but I am speculating here. Also, the warlock concealment doesn't give a target number.

Any ideas?

DevoutlyApathetic

First Post
11 or better on a d20 is exactly the same as current invisibility. They may just be trying to eliminate percentile die rolls.

In which case standard concealment would be 5+ on a d20.

keterys

First Post
Concealment: Enemies have a -2 penalty to hit you
Invisible: Enemies have a -5 penalty to hit you
Blinded: You have a -5 penalty to attack rolls

From all I know from DDXP... and backed up from a Living Forgotten Realms official. The 'conceal 5+' and 'conceal 11+' rules are from the D&D Miniatures game, and not 4th edition.

keterys said:

From all I know from DDXP... and backed up from a Living Forgotten Realms official. The 'conceal 5+' and 'conceal 11+' rules are from the D&D Miniatures game, and not 4th edition.
Hope you are right, I don't like the minis version

mach1.9pants said:
Hope you are right, I don't like the minis version
The Minis version results in basically the same as does the 3.x concealment rules. I guess they didn't like them since they added one extra roll (two with Blind Fight), that also tended to "steal" your success from you.

Verys Arkon

First Post
keterys said:

I was hunting for an answer to this for the next revision to the Rules Compilation too. I found this thread on the Gleemax forums. They seem to have decided it was +2/+5 to defenses (I assume AC too), with a post from a DDXP player that asked what he was getting from the warlock's power. Quoted here:
Originally Posted by WolfStar76 View Post
When playing the Warlock in Scalegloom Hall I had a power that gave me concealment if I moved 3 squares away from where I started.

I asked the GM what the effect was (to try and judge if it was worth constantly weaving around) and was told (when he looked it up) that I was gaining a +2 to all my defenses.

A second DDXP Warlock player said it worked for him like that too:

Originally posted by PWG_Prometheus: I played the Warlock in Escape from Sembia, and this is how our game went as well. Moving my defenses from 15s to 17s definitely felt worthwhile.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Concealment: +2 Defense, and allows you to use stealth to try to hide. (then making you invisible, and +5 Defense?). Yes, a warlock can basically do a move, then a "hide in plain sight" manuever

keterys

First Post
Yep, I thought it was +2/+5... then one of the regional coordinators from Living FR posted in the other thread and said it was negative.

It's all the same thing, though. +/- 2/5

Remove ads