Anyone know of a Fantasy/Horror book/short story?

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Treachery & Treason (a collection celebrating all the worst humanity has to offer).
there was a collection of D&D short stories with twisted horror stories.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
In fantasy, you can stab the monsters.
In horror, monsters eat you.
Many fairy stories are about the fay being unstoppable from a human perspective, but they are still firmly fantasy stories.

Many horror stories are about being able to fight back. Even some Lovecraft stories.

Many fairy stories are about the fay being unstoppable from a human perspective, but they are still firmly fantasy stories.

Many horror stories are about being able to fight back. Even some Lovecraft stories.
Fantasy and horror don't have stone walls saying "Other side here". It's more of a cross-pollinated field.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
A correction: while there are indeed Mythos-tinged Conan stories, what I was thinking of was not one.

What I was thinking of was the collection of Brian Lumley's Mythos tales, Haggopian and Other Stories, and particularly, the story "Curse of the Golden Guardians".

Yeah, Lumley's Primal Land stories are Cthulhu-ish fantasy. You have a barbarian guy and a sorcerer named Teh Atht. I'm not sure they really horror though, more just weird fantasy. He's written some really good mythos horror stuff, but these are more swords & sorcery.

http://www.brianlumley.com/books/cthulhu/hoc1.html

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, when you're in the portion of the Venn diagrams regarding Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror where Horror and Fantasy overlap, there is going to be a sliding scale of how Fantasy or Horror something is.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Is your buddy interested in more modern fantasy/horror? If so, look into things like Clive Barker's Imajica and the Weaveworld and Hellraiser stories or Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere and American Gods.

(Yes, I know those are mostly novels.)

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Glen Cook's Black Company series is an interesting example of mixing these ideas. If the series was written from the point of view of normal people in its world, it would be a straight up horror fantasy. But it's not, it's written from the point of view of mercenaries who work for, with, and against the horrific entities running the show.

Remove ads