• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone know of any free adventurers suitable for younger kids?

DadDM

First Post
Hi all. I'm busy introducing my kids to the joys of D&D (3.5 ed) and wondering if anyone knows of any sites with adventures suitable for younger kids. Given their ages (13 and 10), things more action oriented than puzzle solving/role playing intensive. They are still getting the idea- love it, but treat it more like a series of encounters in a computer game than anything else. Heh, they're slowly getting used to the idea that they can initiate and interact and not just react- but for the moment need adventurers that are not rp heavy

VariSami

First Post
A Dark and Stormy Knight springs to mind. I hate it for its simplicity and for wasting a perfectly fine pun on the actual boss of that mini dungeon but it sure seems perfect for this occasion.

DadDM

First Post
Yeah, I tried finding the oldmodule conversions on the Wizards site, but the whole link/file archive seems to be gone

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Keep on the Borderlands is the perennial favorite. A version of it is available for free download as part of the D&DN playtest packet.

Rakusia

First Post
umm not a published adventure but i ran this skirmish a few weeks ago for a guy(redneck) who was playing the game for the first time.

town of sandybrook medium sized city by a river. fill out town to taste, there is a monastery in the hills outside of the town.

bulletin board or gossip or town guard, will let the adventurers know whats going on.

farmer is having problems with wolves attacking his sheep wanting some help protecting them. 5 gold per pelt.

innkeeper has heard noises coming from his cellar but with his injury from the war he cant take down the rats. 100g for anyone willing to help(if they go for this instead of rats it is a zombie/ghoul.) a hole in the far wall reveals a tunnel with a small treasure chest.

the monastery has sent a call for help in their catacombs there has been heard terrible noises. (the interred have began raising as mindless undead) further clearing reveals a lich has set up shop deep in the catacombs. (in my adventure the lich was absent at the time. both because of the low lvl of party members, inexperience of two players and the fact it sets up a returning bad guy thats out for revenge.)

hidden study with verious things including a picture of a small rowboat on a storm tossed harbor(this painting is actually a hidden dimensional door lich keeps his phylactory hidden on the boat.)(my guys ended up burning the painting btw) a second hidden panel revealed a +1 longsword, along with verious other random loot and quest rewards.

set up of catacombs was a hallway with door to the northwest side with a corpse of monk that had been eaten to show there were corpse eaters. south end of hallway split into two going east and west each with a locked door. these went to where the bodies were laid the west opened into another room with an alter desecrated by lich and the hidden doors.

east door opened up to a room where floor would be triggered to open slowly into a pit trap falling 30 foot. one of the burrial niches had the triggering mechanism hidden(dc 10) slightly made obvious on purpose to trick people into pushing it. a trap to remove would be grave robbers.

that was as far as we got for the night. if lich was gone can as i said have him be the recurring BBeG mastermind villain after revenge furthering your story

also i kept the zombies fairly weak- imo zombies are strong due to over whelmiong numbers the small amount that had been turned were small fry give them minimum health according to your kids levels. not too hard but not steam rollable

Last edited:

Remove ads