• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Anyone make a Binder class for 4E?

tombowings

First Post
Yes, but with the warlock, you have to keep the same pact. The binder was great because of the ability to fill a different roll every day.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I keep thinking about how cool one would be, but I haven't quite figured out the best way to do it, so I haven't actually started yet, sadly.

Cringer_luvr

First Post
yea I can see this being very simple for some vestiges but others not so much, the class itself would be very easy, just the mechanics of the bindings is whats stumping me.

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
cringer_luvr said:
the class itself would be very easy, just the mechanics of the bindings is whats stumping me.

So if it's the mechanics that are giving people trouble...hmm. Random musings time! How about this?

• Power source: Arcane(?)
  • Role: probably hybrid Leader/Controller
  • Build options: Knight of the Seal (bonuses with 1 chosen vestige), Vestigial Dabbler (bonuses when using multiple vestiges together)
  • The binder would get a binder-only ritual that no other class could learn. 5 minute casting time, Arcana (or Religion?) check, no component cost, binds one vestige. Succeed on the check, no penalties; fail, suffer the vestige's influence.
  • Like warlocks, all binders get 1 at-will power and then pick a second based on a vestige (though that can change each day). Encounter, utility, and daily powers known would be based on the vestiges:
    Code:
    [/COLOR][COLOR=White][COLOR=White]Power          3e Vestige Level[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White]At-will        1st[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White]1, 2           2nd[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White]3, 5, 6        3rd[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White]7, 9, 10       4th[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White]11, 12, [I][B]15     [/B][/I]5th[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White][I][B]13[/B][/I], 16, [I][B]19[/B][/I]     6th[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White][I][B]17[/B][/I], 20, 21     7th[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White]22, 23, 25     8th[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White]27, 29         Epic[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=White][/COLOR]
    (You'd try to convert the vestige powers from 3e as best you can, with the levels arranged as they are so each vestige level but epic has an encounter, a utility, and a daily.)
    [*]Binders can swap powers each day based on their bound vestige(s) the same way wizards can swap powers from their spellbooks.
    [*]...more stuff. I'd have to think about what to give it for class features, but probably something along the lines of pact augmentation, suppress sign, and such.

Last edited:

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
The 4e Classes preview book said that one of the 4 pacts available to Warlocks was the Vestige pact. It was cut from the PH, but presumably binder-themed warlocks will show up in some future supplement.

tombowings

First Post

So if it's the mechanics that are giving people trouble...hmm. Random musings time! How about this?

• Power source: Arcane(?)
  • Role: probably hybrid Leader/Controller
  • Build options: Knight of the Seal (bonuses with 1 chosen vestige), Vestigial Dabbler (bonuses when using multiple vestiges together)
  • The binder would get a binder-only ritual that no other class could learn. 5 minute casting time, Arcana (or Religion?) check, no component cost, binds one vestige. Succeed on the check, no penalties; fail, suffer the vestige's influence.
  • Like warlocks, all binders get 1 at-will power and then pick a second based on a vestige (though that can change each day). Encounter, utility, and daily powers known would be based on the vestiges:
    Code:
    [/COLOR][COLOR=White][COLOR=White]Power          3e Vestige Level[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White]At-will        1st[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White]1, 2           2nd[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White]3, 5, 6        3rd[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White]7, 9, 10       4th[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White]11, 12, [I][B]15     [/B][/I]5th[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White][I][B]13[/B][/I], 16, [I][B]19[/B][/I]     6th[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White][I][B]17[/B][/I], 20, 21     7th[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White]22, 23, 25     8th[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=White]27, 29         Epic[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=White][/COLOR]
    (You'd try to convert the vestige powers from 3e as best you can, with the levels arranged as they are so each vestige level but epic has an encounter, a utility, and a daily.)
    [*]Binders can swap powers each day based on their bound vestige(s) the same way wizards can swap powers from their spellbooks.
    [*]...more stuff. I'd have to think about what to give it for class features, but probably something along the lines of pact augmentation, suppress sign, and such.

Ok, You're taking it a little different defection than. For my binder, there are three levels of vestiges: Heroic, Paragon, and Epic. There are four vestiges for each tier, one is a controller, one defender, one striker, and once leader. You can only bind one vestige of each tier.

Bind Vestige is a Religion based ritual; every time you bind a new vestige, you must complete the ritual and use Religion to bind the vestige and create a pact (DC is based on vestige; DCs are higher for binding vestiges of different roles). Succeed on the check, no penalties; fail, suffer the vestige's influence.

When you have bound a vestige, you gain all of the vestige's powers (at-will, encounter, daily, and utility) up to your level as well as class features based on that vestige (to help you fill the your role).

Remove ads