Anyone pick up the 3.5 reprints?

delericho

Legend
I might buy a new PHB. Rather more likely, I may well encourage my players to take the opportunity to get copies for their use - we still play 3.5e, so this is good for us.

Alternately, we may well see if used copies drop in price, and get those instead.

One question: it says that the books include the latest errata, but does this include all the many changes that were made to polymorph and the like? - I believe this errata came about after the final printing of the books, so wouldn't have been previously included.

Feeroper

Explorer
We all have questions about these reprints but none of us has gone out to pick any of them up yet. :)

I am tempted due to my nature as a collector, but it is pricey considering I own the first print 3.5 books.... yet still so tempting for some reason.

thewok

First Post
I saw them in the store, and I thought I might pick them up. But then, I turned over one of the books and immediately put it back on its stand. They fall into the same problem as the 1E reprints: they're way too expensive. The PHB was $40? No thanks. I'll stick with what I have. It's got a puffy black cover on it (and I paid less than $40 for it).

I really wanted to pick up the 1E stuff just to read it; I'd never play it. But the cost was way too high to justify the purchase.

ComradeGnull

First Post
I wasn't really aware that these were coming out- was there less fanfare associated with this than the 1e reprints, or did I just space out? I don't check WotC's official site often, but I still heard about the 1e reprints well in advance of their release.

I also wonder how deep WotC went on print runs for these- I would think that there would be more demand for the 1e materials than for them, just because of rarity and the existence of the SRD.

I wasn't really aware that these were coming out- was there less fanfare associated with this than the 1e reprints, or did I just space out? I don't check WotC's official site often, but I still heard about the 1e reprints well in advance of their release.

Probably the first, as 3.x fans can go to Pathfinder (for free even, through the PSRD), whereas fans of the older games are split, with numerous reprints and reimaginings competing for their minutes and dollars. If (and it's probably a big if) numerous 1e fans buy the reprints and play them, WotC could make some money and reunite a community. Pathfinder has already done that for 3.x.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Were you able to peruse the interiors? Do they have the (horrid) background lines or did you notice if the layout was different in any way?

No, the books were shrinkwrapped. Regardless, Rabulias is probably right.

rkarnes

First Post
I saw them in the store, and I thought I might pick them up. But then, I turned over one of the books and immediately put it back on its stand. They fall into the same problem as the 1E reprints: they're way too expensive. The PHB was $40? No thanks. I'll stick with what I have. It's got a puffy black cover on it (and I paid less than $40 for it).

I really wanted to pick up the 1E stuff just to read it; I'd never play it. But the cost was way too high to justify the purchase.

Do not buy 1E products from WoTC, they're just jumping on the old school revival bandwagon or hoping to squash the seed of dissent before it germinates; instead, look for OSRIC products, and download the system reference here.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Do not buy 1E products from WoTC, they're just jumping on the old school revival bandwagon or hoping to squash the seed of dissent before it germinates; instead, look for OSRIC products, and download the system reference here.

.... but I have osric... and I want the reprints for collection purposes...

Remove ads