Anyone pick up the 3.5 reprints?

Treebore

First Post
.... but I have osric... and I want the reprints for collection purposes...

I love my 1E reprints. I think they are gorgeous and very nicely constructed and I for one have no problems with the minor changes done to the art when they were converted to digital format. (They cleaned up the art due to garbage picked up in scanning, so removed some of the original texture and minor details. Personally I was not anal enough to notice until I saw it pointed out on someones blog.)

So yeah, if you have any degree of desire to own them, get them. Remember, they are a "limited" print run. So don't wait too long.

As to the price, as was pointed out in another thread here on ENWorld, adjust for inflation and they are actually cheaper now. With better cover quality, silk ribbon page markers, and better paper.

Evenglare

Adventurer
How is the binding of the books? For whatever reason 3.5 had some of the best bound books I have ever seen , while 4th edition books were just awful.

Treebore

First Post
How is the binding of the books? For whatever reason 3.5 had some of the best bound books I have ever seen , while 4th edition books were just awful.

Unfortunately the books are shrink wrapped, so all I can tell you is they "feel" well done, but until someone comes along who has bought them, or handled unwrapped copies, I have no better info for you.

thewok

First Post
As to the price, as was pointed out in another thread here on ENWorld, adjust for inflation and they are actually cheaper now. With better cover quality, silk ribbon page markers, and better paper.
That's as may be, but it's still $120+ for a game I'm never going to actually play.

thewok

First Post
Heck, I don't care if its $5 per item, if I don't believe I will ever play it, I don't buy it.
I actually have a number of RPGs that I'll never play. I have Robotech, Heavy Gear, Gear Krieg, the Serenity RPG, the WoW RPG, the EQ RPG, and so on. I also have a large number of MechWarrior books, but I'd very much like to play that at some point.

Treebore

First Post
I actually have a number of RPGs that I'll never play. I have Robotech, Heavy Gear, Gear Krieg, the Serenity RPG, the WoW RPG, the EQ RPG, and so on. I also have a large number of MechWarrior books, but I'd very much like to play that at some point.

I have a lot of RPG's too, but I have played the vast majority of them, and of the few I have not played, I intend to, at least at conventions, if not at home.

For example, I have not played the DCC RPG since it came out, but a friend of mine and I are talking about playing it on Saturdays until his Saturday C&C group resumes playing in November. That will leave me with only 4 or 5 RPG's that I own that I have yet to play since buying them.

Several of those I at least played once at a convention, which is why I now own them. Mouse Guard is an example of that. Played it at a convention, surprisingly loved it, and bought the boxed set when it came out, and have yet to play it since. But I will!

Another example is Dresden Files. Played it at a convention, but not since I bought them. However, we are talking about a start date now. So it will happen. I just have to be patient, as well as a bit determined to getting a group together to play.

Stormonu

Legend
Do not buy 1E products from WoTC, they're just jumping on the old school revival bandwagon or hoping to squash the seed of dissent before it germinates; instead, look for OSRIC products, and download the system reference here.

That sounds pretty silly. How do you kill the OSR by releasing the original books that influenced them? That's like trying to put out a fire by pouring Premium gas on the blaze.

Actually, I think they're testing the waters to see how many 1E'ers are out there that they can interest in buying books - perhaps luring them to 5E. Anyone who lays out money for the 1E books conceively might lay out for 5E if they can test and like the new version.

If I hadn't replaced my 1E DMG a few months before the 1E reprints were announced, I *might* have bought copies myself. Luckily for my pocket book, I haven't gotten rid of my Basic, 1E, 2E or 3.5E books (I did get rid of my 3.0 core rulebooks). I even have my 4E books, though I don't suspect I'll ever use them again.

Steely_Dan

First Post
I bought the 1st Ed reprints (even though I have all the original books), they are lovely, if the 3rd Ed reprints are of comparative quality (construction, cover, etc), I will pick them up (even though once again I have the originals); now, are they going to do 2nd Ed reprints?

My Red (Moldvay) Basic Rulebook is still a favourite to pick up and peruse, love the Elf, though I have never played Basic (started with AD&D).

That brings up an issue, I never really peruse my 4th Ed books the way I do with previous editions.

And like others, I have RPGs I have never played, I practically own everything published for TSR Marvel Superheroes, yet have never played, so annoying!

Remove ads