Anyone picked up True Sorcery?

Ahzad

Explorer
one of my players has been going thru the book in preperation to play a True Sorcerer, and has noticed a bunch of errors in the math. curious if these have been fixed in the pdf.

here's an example under the fatigue spell the spell example of drain energy, has a dc 24, but +20 from the augmented effect is missing. almost all the errors he's seen involve forgetting the standard augmentation penalty.

Pbartender

First Post
Ahzad said:
one of my players has been going thru the book in preperation to play a True Sorcerer, and has noticed a bunch of errors in the math. curious if these have been fixed in the pdf.

Most of them have... A very, very few haven't.

Errata is not yet available, unfortunately. When in doubt, build your own spells from the ground up.

Also, check the Green Ronin message boards. Questions about the mistakes, and the resulting corrections are usually posted there.

Skade

Explorer
I bought this last weekend, the first d20 product I have bought for a year. I bought it with the intention of using it to start up a magically focussed campaign, but I will need to do some adaption and hope to see some errata before I start using it full time. My biggest worry doesnt have much to do with the game itself, its worrying that my players will do the necessary work to understand it.

srgmitford

First Post
*shoves thread back to general use*

Slay is very powerful. Probably too powerful, since it's a better option than your other major combat spells.

Pretend you're trying to slay a Battle Titan (basically a 28 HD T-Rex trained as a war mount from MM III) then you'll need to have a powerful enough slay spell to affect 28 HD of creature. For a meaningful amount of damage (say, 15d6) that's a DC 149 spell that you have to deliver from 10 feet away (AoO!). If you'd rather not get eaten while casting it, then you'll need some extra range too; another 40 feet should suffice for a final DC of 153 to either kill the BT or deal 15d6 of damage.
On the other hand, you can get a 30d6 Create Energy spell from 50 feet away (changed from burst to target, so the same ranged touch attack) for a DC of 165.

That's just too good. Not only does it have the same effect on a successful save but it has better effect on a failed save, is not mitigated by energy resistances and is 60% easier to cast.

+2 per hit die seems too low to me. If someone can explain how this isn't an issue then I will be very impressed.

Isn't it supposed to be more powerful if it starts out as a third magnitude talent(slay) as opposed to a first(create energy)? I mean why even bother to pick up other talents at all if yer only in it for the lightning bolt?

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Isn't it supposed to be more powerful if it starts out as a third magnitude talent(slay) as opposed to a first(create energy)? I mean why even bother to pick up other talents at all if yer only in it for the lightning bolt?
I think you're missing the point of the magnitudes.
The mechanic is there so that the starting balance and level the spells become available are consistent with the rest of the d20 system.

The theory of True Sorcery is that two spells of the same Spellcraft DC should be of equal power (even if they do completely different things).
This isn't true when you compare Slay and Create (energy).

And that's all I'll say about True Sorcery. It's been years since I tried to make this system work in a game, and just about as long since I looked at it.

Remove ads