• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Anyone played a Phantom? Advice on multi-class build.

auburn2

Adventurer
I have a low-level half-elf multiclass Rogue-twilight cleric. Curently 1/1.

This is the first time I have played a Cleric in 5E at all. The character uses a heavy crossbow primarily and occasionally a whip and is primarily a Rogue. The next 4 levels will be all Rogue. Character has a S10, D16, C10, I12, W14, Ch14. Rest of party is Warlock, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger.

Looking at subclass options, I was originally thinking of going with Assassin and take advantage of the twilight cleric advantage on initiative which will translate into usually having advantage on my first turn attack. I have played assasins before. I would take alert feat which would give +8 initiative with advantage, meaning I would almost always go first as well as never being surprised. With a heavy crossbow and D10 damage assasin could make a devestating 1st attack especially if it crits (or I have surprise when all hits are crits). Based on some of the other characters, disguise kit won't bring much to the party and I have never found poison kit very useful, mostly because of the action required to apply poision.

Looking at Phantom though this brings some cool stuff as well. 2 extra "rotating" proficiencies and wails from the dead gives an extra 2d6 necrotic damage per LR at 4th level, going to 4d6 at 5th and 6d6 at 6th level (all those character levels). If I went this route I would probably go with shadow touched feat at 5th level with false life as my second spell. This seems cool too but the wails dice probably can't keep up with the assassin damage wise over the course of the day. I have played an assasin before but have never played a phantom.

Anyone tried Phantom and have any advice/comments?

Last edited:

Remove ads