• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone using Onenote?

I have recently installed OneNote and I was playing around with it and find it to be quite promising.

I noticed that it auto-saves and you don't actually have to manually save like you do with other Office documents.

If I want to use OneNote on multiple computers (that have OneNote installed), how do I go about transferring the data? I won't always have internet access so I need a way to transfer the data by USB key. Is this possible?

calimedic911

Explorer
I have recently installed OneNote and I was playing around with it and find it to be quite promising.

I noticed that it auto-saves and you don't actually have to manually save like you do with other Office documents.

If I want to use OneNote on multiple computers (that have OneNote installed), how do I go about transferring the data? I won't always have internet access so I need a way to transfer the data by USB key. Is this possible?
in your "my documents" folder there is a folder called my onenote journals. copy that to a thumb drive and then copy it to your new computer and you will have the folder on each computer... to update your old computer just do the same from the new computer to the old.... (sorry if that is a little confusing)

Sean

Zustiur

Explorer
Alternatively, if you have a home network you could set it up like I have -
I have one main PC, and a laptop, both of which connect to the same network while I'm at home.
If you're creating a new notebook, there's an option for shared notebooks.
If you already have a notebook, you need to make it's location shared - either share the notebook itself (within your my documents usually), or share a folder above that (such as My Documents itself).
On your laptop (or other machine) do File - Open, and browse to the network location of your shared notebook.
From that point on, you never need to worry about copying data back and forth, and you can edit both at the same time. The changes will then merge neatly when both machines are on the same network (and onenote is open on the laptop).

in your "my documents" folder there is a folder called my onenote journals. copy that to a thumb drive and then copy it to your new computer and you will have the folder on each computer... to update your old computer just do the same from the new computer to the old.... (sorry if that is a little confusing)

Sean

Thanks!

Bodhiwolff

First Post
If anybody has any templates, example notebooks, or basically any other cool OneNote resources, I would be extremely interested in seeing them.

I only just discovered OneNote, and I have a feeling that I'll be re-inventing the wheel if I spent days and days trying to set up a campaign notebook, encounter template, and so forth.

So if anybody would care to share their work, I'd dearly love to see it.

calimedic911

Explorer
If anybody has any templates, example notebooks, or basically any other cool OneNote resources, I would be extremely interested in seeing them.

I only just discovered OneNote, and I have a feeling that I'll be re-inventing the wheel if I spent days and days trying to set up a campaign notebook, encounter template, and so forth.

So if anybody would care to share their work, I'd dearly love to see it.
personally what I have done is taken the one note power toys application and installed that.. one of the options in there allows you to print to one note and take that printout and drop it to the background... then you can write on top of that... I happen to have a tablet so I can do handwriting and I have printed the campaign planner into one note and use that as the background....

Sean B

Merkuri

Explorer
personally what I have done is taken the one note power toys application and installed that

Ooh, do you have a link to this? I love OneNote, but am sorely disappointed that they didn't add VBA support like they have in just about every other Office application, so anything that would let me get closer to hacking OneNote, like "power toys" is something I'm interested in. :)

Oompa

First Post
I have each sheet in a different section and than different pages per section.

Lets take my picture examples:

Sample 1 is the main sheet, with all the character info.
Sample 2 is the sheet with all class and racial powers noted down
Sample 3 is the sheet with all the powers and features

And i can link between pages and points, and those links still exist in the pdf..

Best thing, if i save the section as a PDF, it crops it automatically to fit the page, so i get a 3 paged pdf with everything i need..

sample1.png
sample2.png
sample3.png

Remove ads