Anyone want to work for NASA?

Kaodi

Hero
Were I eligible and appropriately skilled it could be interesting. I think the last three and a half years of having barely left our apartment might have prepared me for that kind of isolation. Though I suppose it is always possible that without a break in between the two experiences that it would break me, XD .

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Not a chance.

But then, I think that sending humans to Mars is a terrible idea. I mean, it might be worth it to the rest of humanity to show us just HOW terrible an idea it is by doing it... but I feel sorry for the people who go. It's gonna suck SO bad!

aco175

Legend
I was so close on the requirements.

To be considered, applicants must be a US citizen aged 30-55, speak English proficiently and have a master’s degree in a STEM field, plus at least two years of professional experience, a minimum of one thousand hours piloting an aircraft or two years of work toward a STEM doctoral program. Certain types of professional experience may allow applicants without a master’s to qualify too.

I think the bigger problem would be who you are there with. They might make it like a reality show and place all sorts of people that do not get along inside there to see how soon someone goes nuts.

Side note, there was a mini-series a few years ago about a mission to Alpha Wherever where the people inside were the children of the first group that took off since it would take so long to get there. Found out it was a giant simulation to see if people could do it and everyone was still in Texas. Forgot the name, but worth watching.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think the bigger problem would be who you are there with. They might make it like a reality show and place all sorts of people that do not get along inside there to see how soon someone goes nuts.

Unlikely, if only because that's not how gathering valid psychological data works. Seeing how soon one person in one group of four "goes nuts" is not useful information for planning future missions.

briggart

Adventurer
I was so close on the requirements.

To be considered, applicants must be a US citizen aged 30-55, speak English proficiently and have a master’s degree in a STEM field, plus at least two years of professional experience, a minimum of one thousand hours piloting an aircraft or two years of work toward a STEM doctoral program. Certain types of professional experience may allow applicants without a master’s to qualify too.

Side note, there was a mini-series a few years ago about a mission to Alpha Wherever where the people inside were the children of the first group that took off since it would take so long to get there. Found out it was a giant simulation to see if people could do it and everyone was still in Texas. Forgot the name, but worth watching.
Ascension. It had a good premise, but the finale felt a bit of a let down to me.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I'm too old and not a U.S. citizen. Otherwise, i would quailfy.
Not a chance.

But then, I think that sending humans to Mars is a terrible idea. I mean, it might be worth it to the rest of humanity to show us just HOW terrible an idea it is by doing it... but I feel sorry for the people who go. It's gonna suck SO bad!
it is a terrible idea now, we don't know enough about long duration space missions and it is a questionable idea given the capabilities of robotic exploration. On the other hand I would not say that it would never be a good idea.

Reynard

Legend
Not a chance.

There just isn't any reason to go. Despite sci-fi dreams, terraforming is essentially impossible (or, at least, if you can terraform Mars, you can terraform Earth to fix whatever issues we have caused). yes, it would be a good idea to be a multi planet species, but if a colony is not sustainable (and Mars could never be) then if Earth life gets wiped out, so does Mars'.

Remove ads