• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Anything new on release dates? (As of May 8)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Not really.

It originally (and still does) mean to strike hard. There is generally a negative meaning to it, in the sense of unwarranted criticism. Wikipedia has a good definition of it, though that's not what I'm basing my statement on:

"Bashing is a harsh, gratuitous, prejudicial attack on a person, group, or subject."

Criticism of a company isn't "bashing." It's criticism. Bashing is unwarranted, unnecessarily harsh criticism, at least in most contemporary usage. I have a particular dislike of the use of the term because the Republicans tried to redefine it to mean "any criticism of Republicans" back during the Bush years.

Dude, look up in the thread. The guy I said it to, agreed he was bashing them. He agreed twice, to make it clear. Why are you still arguing the point?

Shiroiken

Legend
Dude, look up in the thread. The guy I said it to, agreed he was bashing them. He agreed twice, to make it clear. Why are you still arguing the point?
My only guess is that he agrees with me, but feels it's a warranted criticism of WotC.

I disagree with his claim that bashing has to be unwarranted and unnecessarily harsh. Bashing can be meaningfully harsh and warranted and still be bashing. I feel that my comment was appropriate, but that doesn't make it not bashing.

Mistwell

My only guess is that he agrees with me, but feels it's a warranted criticism of WotC.

I disagree with his claim that bashing has to be unwarranted and unnecessarily harsh. Bashing can be meaningfully harsh and warranted and still be bashing. I feel that my comment was appropriate, but that doesn't make it not bashing.

Yeah I never assumed bashing was somehow false or unwarranted. Just annoying. For example, let's say some guy at every single party you go to bashes Walmart. His arguments might be 100% valid, it might be warranted to not like Walmart at all...but it's still bloody annoying that this guy goes on and on about it at every opportunity. It's a party, not a meeting of the Walmart Boycotting Committee.

Which was my point - it does not matter if your argument about the evils and flaws of Wizards of the Coast are 100% valid and cogent and well thought out and legitimate. At some point - a point reached years ago now - it becomes redundant and a nuisance to bring it up this often, on this many topics. That's what I mean by bashing. The horse is dead. It was beaten to death by a mob years ago. Everyone here has heard this argument, articulated well, repeatedly. Reminding people of your opinion on that topic every once in a while when it comes up is fine - but quit looking for excuses to bring it up unless you want to be that guy at the party. We know. We get it. You're no longer informing or persuading.

Which was my point - it does not matter if your argument about the evils and flaws of Wizards of the Coast are 100% valid and cogent and well thought out and legitimate. At some point - a point reached years ago now - it becomes redundant and a nuisance to bring it up this often, on this many topics. That's what I mean by bashing. The horse is dead. It was beaten to death by a mob years ago. Everyone here has heard this argument, articulated well, repeatedly. Reminding people of your opinion on that topic every once in a while when it comes up is fine - but quit looking for excuses to bring it up unless you want to be that guy at the party. We know. We get it. You're no longer informing or persuading.

The topic keeps popping up because WotC is doing a new release of D&D. That's the nature of message boards that focus on a particular hobby or genre.

It's like the Batman movies. After every new one, it gets beaten to death. When a new one is on the horizon, the discussions start up again. There's nothing unusual about that.

WotC's past mistakes are very relevant when discussing how things might go this time. Some people go the fanboy route and support anything the company does. Some have a real hatred of it, for one reason or the other. My bet is that most of us fall somewhere in between.

There are a lot of topics that come up regularly that don't appeal to me, or that I feel have been done to death. I just ignore those.

Mistwell

The topic keeps popping up because WotC is doing a new release of D&D. That's the nature of message boards that focus on a particular hobby or genre.

You seem to think it correlates with a new edition release. It does not. It never ebbed. The bashing never stopped. We've heard it for about 6 years straight now, with no pause.

And it can't be avoided. It's every topic. That was my point - some people look for excuses to raise that issues. For example, this is a thread asking what the release date of the new edition might be - that is not a topic that naturally invites ranting about how WOTC sucks and nobody will play it and people won't buy it even if they think it's a better game because of how horrible WOTC is. You have to look for an excuse to raise those issues.

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
You seem to think it correlates with a new edition release. It does not. It never ebbed. The bashing never stopped. We've heard it for about 6 years straight now, with no pause.

And it can't be avoided. It's every topic. That was my point - some people look for excuses to raise that issues. For example, this is a thread asking what the release date of the new edition might be - that is not a topic that naturally invites ranting about how WOTC sucks and nobody will play it and people won't buy it even if they think it's a better game because of how horrible WOTC is. You have to look for an excuse to raise those issues.
I will admit I haven't been on the boards that long. I've only joined forums to get info on the new edition, and when it's released, I plan on disappearing again.

As for threadjacking... that seems to be the norm everywhere. It started as a great discussion about the time frame of the release. Someone talked about the PR aspect of the lack of information, which led to someone asking about how it will affect sales, which led to my comment about opinion of the company, which lead to a discussion on the term bashing, which bring us to a discussion of threadjacking...

Threadjacking... because everyone on the Forums has ADD :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads