• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AoO, Moving, and _haste_

doktorstick

First Post
The rules for AoO say that if all you do is move for your turn then you don't draw an attack of opportunity. When hasted you gain a partial action. Does the "turn" as noted above include the standard and partial action? For example, could you move as a partial action (from haste) and then cast a spell (or do anything else) without drawing the AoO?

Thanks.
/ds

AGGEMAM

First Post
doktorstick said:
The rules for AoO say that if all you do is move for your turn then you don't draw an attack of opportunity.

Not quite, the area you began in is not considered threatened.

When hasted you gain a partial action. Does the "turn" as noted above include the standard and partial action? For example, could you move as a partial action (from haste) and then cast a spell (or do anything else) without drawing the AoO?

The newest versions of the FAQ correct explain that everything involving haste is to be taken on a turn or round basis not action per action basis. (That means, no!).

doktorstick

First Post
Thanks. Although the comment in the FAQ:
It doesn't let you break the rules otherwise, and it does not give you an "extra" round during your turn.
The question immediately preceeding this answer about movement and haste answers attacks while hasted:
You can attack only once with a partial or standard action, no matter how many weapons you have. You've got to use the full attack action (a full-round action) to get any additional attacks to which you may be entitled.
In other words, if you have a BAB +6/+1 and hasted you can either a) attack as a full-round action +6/+1; or b) +6/+6 as a standard action and partial action; but not c) +6/+1/+6 as a full-round action and partial action because you can't get extra rounds and the full attack action is a full-round action.

Reference MainFAQv11222002.pdf pg. 49.

Cheers,
/ds

Last edited:

AGGEMAM

First Post
doktorstick said:
Thanks. Although the comment in the FAQ: The question immediately preceeding this answer about movement and haste answers attacks while hasted: In other words, if you have a BAB +6/+1 and hasted you can either a) attack as a full-round action +6/+1; or b) +6/+6 as a standard action and partial action; but not c) +6/+1/+6 as a full-round action and partial action because you can't get extra rounds and the full attack action is a full-round action.

Reference MainFAQv11222002.pdf pg. 49.

Cheers,
/ds

I do not think it says what you think it says. :D

doktorstick

First Post
AGGEMAM said:
I do not think it says what you think it says. :D
I guess I'm reading to much in to it. I can rationalize it the other way. A round is the various 6-second actions. haste doesn't grant an extra round, but it does give a partial action. :)

/ds

Last edited:

doktorstick

First Post
Yeah, yeah... :) I finally got hasted and the guy I was fighting was too. This was the first time that haste has come into play in 18 mos. of playing 3e. Strange that... :eek:

/ds

Artoomis

First Post
Rumor has it that in 5 or 6 months (D&D edition 3.5) Haste will be one extra attack (if using a full attack action), +2 AC, double move speed up to 30' extra and that's it.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Artoomis said:
Rumor has it that in 5 or 6 months (D&D edition 3.5) Haste will be one extra attack (if using a full attack action), +2 AC, double move speed up to 30' extra and that's it.

I think it will be:

+2 AC
Double normal speed (as in Expeditious Retreat)
one extra attack (regardless of full-attack being used or not just as a weapon of speed)

Remove ads