• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Appearance Altering Ideas?

TracerBullet42

First Post
Just got an email from a friend with these ideas. How can I make them work?

My Friend said:
Let me tell you exactly what I’m trying for. The trick that I'm trying to pull off is longer durations. min/level doesn't cut it. Two Scenarios:

Scenario one: An adult or older Black Dragon who wants to pass for human the way a Silver Dragon does.

Scenario two: A high level Mage who has advanced in age who wants to appear young again. He’s not trying to be younger; to avoid the penalties of age or to extend his life – just a cosmetic thing. I kind of pictured it as waking up in the morning, brushing his teeth and hair, casting this spell, and then going out to face the world.

Any ideas? How can these situations happen and provide the benefit for the greater part of a day?

Last edited:

SteelDraco

First Post
I wouldn't have any problems at all with someone casting Alter Self to appear as a younger version of themselves. IMO, that's well within the normal function of the spell. It's a part of them specifying fine details of their new appearance.

A dragon couldn't use Alter Self to appear as a humanoid, though, since they're not the same creature type. That's the function of Polymorph. A black dragon could use it to look like a silver dragon of the same size, but not a humanoid.

TracerBullet42

First Post
UltimaGabe said:
I'm confused. What's your question?
How, within the rules, can either situation be achieved?

Oh, I suppose I should've mentioned in there that he's trying to have long-term duration, so spells like Alter Self aren't sufficient. (I'll add that to the first post, good point!) And I've changed the title to hopefully clarify things...

Last edited:

RFlatstone

First Post
TracerBullet42 said:
How, within the rules, can either situation be achieved?

Oh, I suppose I should've mentioned in there that he's trying to have long-term duration, so spells like Alter Self aren't sufficient. (I'll add that to the first post, good point!) And I've changed the title to hopefully clarify things...

Hi. I’m the friend the question was asked for.

Here’s the thing: Take the scenario with the Mage struggling with vanity. He could cast Alter Self, but that lasts 10 minutes per level. Even if he was 20th level, that’s only 3 and a half hours. Extend spell, and he gets a bit over 6 hours. I was hoping for something that might last all day.

The Dragon is in an even tighter spot. Poloymorph only lasts 1 minute per level, and she REALLY needs it to last all day.

Corsair

First Post
Alter Self continuous item: 2 x 3 x 1800 = 10800. Limited to only "younger appearance self" could easily cut that in half or more, depending on the DM.

The dragon to human one is a bit more expensive.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Bring back the longer 3.0e duration of Polymorph Self and apply it to Alter Self as well?

Currently by the rules either would need a magic item to manage the effect you want or several devoted feats and a special spell selection to boost the spell duration and might require adding other class levels to qualify. Easier to just reset some of the spell durations to their earlier iteration.

TracerBullet42

First Post
HeavenShallBurn said:
Bring back the longer 3.0e duration of Polymorph Self and apply it to Alter Self as well?

Currently by the rules either would need a magic item to manage the effect you want or several devoted feats and a special spell selection to boost the spell duration and might require adding other class levels to qualify. Easier to just reset some of the spell durations to their earlier iteration.
Yeah, I was really suprised to not find a simple spell that would accomplish this task. It seemed pretty straightforward.

It seems like a custom magic item might be the best way to go.

mvincent

Explorer
TracerBullet42 said:
Any ideas? How can these situations happen and provide the benefit for the greater part of a day?
Scenario one: well, ancient blue dragons can manage this (with veil). Dunno for black dragons
Scenario two: hat of disguise

Patlin

Explorer
Persistent Alter Self would be a 24 hour duration, though personally I'd rather keep 4 Extended Alter Self spells memorized than use an 8th level slot and an extra feat.

Anyone for Polymorph Any Object?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads