• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Apprentice advancement?

How do you guys handle apprentices for wizard players? Their duties and actions generally, and how long it takes for them to go up in levels specifically? Is there any basis for your formula?
Any insight would be very appreciated as this may become a core component of a campaign idea.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Apprentices as NPCs or as PCs? From your post, it looks like NPCs but it's an important distinction.

Apprentice PCs are just regular PCs with a "mentor" plot-hook and resource to draw upon. If I use it, the mentor is generally at PC-starting level + 10, and gains a level at about 1/3 the speed of the party.
Example: For a first level campaign, the mentor would be level 11 initially, and increase to level 14 by the time the party was level 10. Pretty soon, the student will surpass his teacher, but by that point he should have already been graduated and his mentor is now a friend and ally.

Apprentice NPCs start at level 1 or 2 and do whatever the PC orders them to do. They can go up in level (slowly), but are almost entirely a background effect (like a castle wall; scenery until some jackass disintegrates it) with minimal statistics.
If I need them to increase, I'd follow the Companion column of the Leadership feat. Unless they were going to become a villain. ;)

Good luck.

Last edited:

CAFargo

First Post
Are you a player or DM?

For a player, you can get a wizard apprentice through the leadership feat, simply making your companion another wizard.

As a DM, I would definitely recomend that the NPC stay as far away as possible when the players are adventuring. Adding in a free NPC can be a real power-shifter for the party, making some monsters a whole lot weaker. Simply have the NPC act as a way for the characters to communicate with their home base.

Celebrim

Legend
Hmmm...

Ok, I'm actually writing up a document on this question for my own use, but its not complete enough yet to share.

I think the answer to alot of your questions depends on whether the apprentice in question is an NPC, a PC, or the retainer to a PC.

The answer also depends on whether you accept that the Leadership feat is a good idea (I don't).

If the PC is an apprentice, then he's probably bought the Patron advantage with his free advantage and we've created some patron together. The Patron is probably an average to slightly above average campaign sage in the classical mold, with a level between 6th and 9th - which would be one of the highest level wizards likely for many miles around. (Double that level for most people's campaigns. In my campaign by 9th level you are extremely powerful and feared. In many campaigns, it just means you own a bar or command some obscure outpost of 20 soldiers.) The PC will advance as fast as PC's normally advance, due to the PC's latent but prodigious talent and potential.

If the apprentice is an NPC, then he'll be somewhere in the 16 years of training which is traditional for young wizards, and likely somewhere between the age of 8 and 24 or a bit younger if he started his apprenticeship early. The apprentice is likely classless (commoner) or a 0th level wizard (see rules in the 3.0 DMG) with an XP debt of 1d100x5 before reaching 1st level, although a higher level is possible for an exceptionally talented student near the end of his training. Technically, once you can cast 1st level spells, you are free to go, though most will stay on for the full 16 years to learn as much as they can and cause no scandal.

The duties of the apprentice will vary with the master, the particular system of training the master was taught, and the age of the apprentice. The primary duty of every apprentice is to learn, and one that doesn't will likely be turned out. However, most wizards still require something of a livelihood, and so the duties may include domestic servitude, working a small farm, or helping the Master practice his trade in order to earn coin for the household. The Master's trade can very from practicing wizard, to alchemist or apothecary, to scribe, sage, or tutor. The master may also use an apprentice as an ad hoc research assistant - the classic 'stir this cauldron until I get' back or 'help me chop these mandrake roots'.

The skills a wizard requires are diverse, but mostly they revolve around teaching the student self-discipline and self-control, to cope with essential tedium, and the memorization of numerous facts. The most important skill in casting magic is total self-control - control of body, control of mind, control of voice, and control of habits. So the apprentice will be taught things to help them achieve control, from practicing being motionless in uncomfortable poses (or when struck or tortured) to dancing and singing depending on the wizard. Alot of what the apprentice does is essentially caligraphy - copying a spell over and over and over again long before he even has a clue what it means. This builds essential hand strength and penmenship. The second most important thing is the memorization of the runes and glyphs in which magic is written, and eventually what they mean and latter on still what they do. If the wizard is really good at what he does, he may even be able to teach the apprentice why they do it and the theory behind it which is something not all wizards actually know.

Wizards will also be taught things that wizards feel makes for a polished and well rounded wizard - like history, knowledge of the arcane world, knowledge of engineering, mathimatics and other practical arts other than magic, philosophy, literature, and so forth. The apprentice may also be taught various practical skills that contribute to the learning or practice of magic, like glass blowing or herbalism.

A young apprentice, certainly one less than age 9 or 10, will not be trusted to be taught magic at all - as he'll likely kill himself and others with it. Magic is extremely dangerous and difficult to control in my campaign world. It's all a mage can do not to unleash a sentient curse, conjure up something not meant to be, create a living spell, or suffer such severe spellburn that the spell sucks the soul out of their body and consumes it and they turn into a spellwight. One the apprentice has mastered sufficient basic skills, the real training begins in earnest which the learning and mastering new spells. This is an extremely scary time for everyone involved, especially when the apprentice first graduates from cantrips - which are designed to be relatively safe to cast - to full blown spells. This problem is compounded by the general precosiousness, curiousness, mischeviousness, and independent streak of extremely bright children of about this age. Hillarity of a sort often ensues.

If the NPC is a PC's retainer, then they advance at a rate typical of retainers. The easiest thing to do in RAW is simply use the Leadership feat. Personally, I hate the leadership feat as overpowered and annoying.

An apprentice is unlikely to want to apprentice himself to an adventuring PC in my opinion. There is just too much danger and too little stability in such a life. That isn't to say that it couldn't happen, but generally it won't happen until the PC settles down somewhere with a base of operations.

I'd like to thank the very insightful replies. To clarify, the apprentices I'm referring to are NPCs. Generally the idea is a small wizard college type of campaign (much like the arcane college 2e sourcebook which was represented as the Guild Wizard of the Arcane Order PrC in 3e.) These apprentices will not be dragged off as adventure fodder. There are several timeskips planned (so a PC teacher may be spending 5-7 years not adventuring while he attends to teaching a gaggle of apprentices) and the basic question is how quickly should they advance.

For example, how many years from 0 level to 1st level wizard? from 1-2? o 5? to 7?
How long does it take an apprentice from pure studying to advance from level 4 to 5, etc.
How many years of study for 1-9?
Of course fiat is always available but for consistency's sake, I prefer to have some sort of reasonable progression rather than just "winging it".

Also on a conceptual note, if an 20th level wizard had one apprentice for 40 years (lets say a half elf who was neither gifted nor talentless), no adventuring involved, at the end of those 40 years where would the half elf be on the scale?

Celebrim

Legend
if an 20th level wizard had one apprentice for 40 years (lets say a half elf who was neither gifted nor talentless), no adventuring involved, at the end of those 40 years where would the half elf be on the scale?

He'd be at most 6th level. I don't like the idea of high level NPC's being common. If you want high level NPCs to be more common, make different assumptions that suits your campaign.

On the other hand, I personally would have a hard time imagining a 20th level wizard taking on or keeping on an apprentice who wasn't very gifted indeed, nor do I imagine 20th level wizards are squeemish about rigorously challenging said apprentices in such away that its equivalent to adventuring.

Yoda: "A place of evil it is. In you must go."
Dumbledore: "And now Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."

ValhallaGH

Explorer
For example, how many years from 0 level to 1st level wizard?
I'd estimate 8 to 10 years. That first step is crucial and extremely difficult. To become a Journeyman mage (1st level) you need a level of control and knowledge that would qualify as Master in almost any other field. That takes a great deal of time, study, and practice.
How long does it take an apprentice from pure studying to advance from level 4 to 5, etc.
In a purely academic environment, figure that each season is a CR 1 to 3 encounter. So an academic should advance at about 1/365th the rate of low level adventurers. Or, about 1 level every 3.25 years, up to level 4 (about 13 years). After that, it will take a great deal more time as the academic life enters into diminishing returns vis-a-vis XP.
By level 11, normal academic life (even Wizardly academic life) should not provide any meaningful challenge. So unless the mage is willing to go forth and adventure, he's stuck at level 11. Which is nothing to sneeze at (scary thing, 11th level wizards) but is the limit of what he will achieve.

Interestingly, by my reckoning, the hypothetical half-elf is looking at level 6, maybe 6.25, by the end of his 40 year apprenticeship, matching Celebrim's estimate.
Of course, any 20th level Wizard is, by definition, crazy enough to go out and do what it takes to reach 20th level. Which means he's more than crazy enough to send his apprentices out into the world to face real adventures that will cause them to go up fairly quickly.

Remove ads